Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
RvanGogh
RvanGogh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N900, iPad, PE (and basically everything since MP2000)
E-ink screen won't start

Something strange has happened with my PE. The e-ink screen won't start anymore, the LCD screen will though. My PE is running Ermine, but I never had any problems. Anyone with a solution? Thx
RvanGogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Is your eDGe rooted and have you been messing around with any system files and/or trying to install market?

Also, does your e-ink refresh when coming out of hibernation or does it just stay on one screen(if so which screen is it stuck on)?
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Franky
Nameless Being

I had the same some time ago and i put back in my sd card. From thereon the eink side started wihtout any problems.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
RvanGogh

Too bad Franky, I tried to remove an put back the sd-card, but no difference.
Emusan, it is the image the Pocket Edge came with originally (which it will turn to when you close it) and I didn't do anything strange, like rooting or trying to install market - in fact the latest months I only used it for reading!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Have you tried to turn it off and on?
Have you tried to reset it?
If none helps try to downgrade to Dingo.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvanGogh View Post
Too bad Franky, I tried to remove an put back the sd-card, but no difference.
Emusan, it is the image the Pocket Edge came with originally (which it will turn to when you close it) and I didn't do anything strange, like rooting or trying to install market - in fact the latest months I only used it for reading!
You say that the reader will display the default reader screen when you close the PE? Are you talking about the Entourage Edge Read, Write, Surf wallpaper or the Hibernate wallpaper? Have you tried to change the Reader Default Wallpaper (Settings - Display Settings)? Are you seeing the Initializing Screen on Power up? Try changing the Screen Orientation under Display Settings which essentially turns the E-Reader screen upside down. If none of this works, you may have to perform a Factory reset (Setting - Privacy). Of course this would be a last resort effort.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

what happens when you hold down the little button on the e-ink side with the two arrows?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
RvanGogh

Hi all, thanks for thinking with me.
Well, I tried all the suggestions: turning it on and off all the time, replacing the sd-card, changing the screen settings, even the Factory reset (alas). But nothing changed.
The e-ink screen stays on the same image, no sign of hibernating, no change of the picture. Still the same known image.
A picture of the 'Pocket eDGe tm' with an arrow where the 'Stylus' can be found, and how you should 'Slide the power switch to turn your device on.' This image stays the same whatever I trie.
The LCD screen works fine though. And not everything is lost. I am able to take pictures with the camera (which is on the e-ink side n'est ce pas?), and I don't even turn green. (Well, only from the inside, out of annoyance).

Before I trie to downgrade to Dino, is there no other way?
Wouldn't it even better to reinstall Ermine?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
emusan
lol

you could try downgrading to Dingo, but to me this sounds more like a hardware issue than software, it possible that a ribbon cable snapped or tore somewhere in there, which is going to be kind of problematic to fix... I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I have to agree with emusan that it sounds like a problem with the cable in the hinge mechanism.

There is one thing that you should try assuming you bought it from the EU supplier, requesting a return for repair number because under EU law they are responsible for the guarantee for two years.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #11
RvanGogh

The strangest thing happend. After I did a factory reset, with still no succes on the e-ink screen, I had to use the LCD screen last Friday (since I already had the iPad and the Nokia N900 in use at the same time). When I finished I just closed the device (hibernating)(the e-ink side was still frozen), thinking: ok, next week I find out how to downgrade it to Dingo.

Then yesterday evening, when I opened the device, out of the blue, the e-ink side switched on with a calibrate-menu (I did a factory reset, remember?). Off course I'm glad, but how did this happen? (I remember the pre-osx apples, which tended to solve problems there selves ;-)
Well, now I don't dare to turn it off anymore, off course.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
That's great news!

Maybe your PE just needed to hibernate a while?? I like problems that solve themselves.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
That's great news! Maybe your PE just needed to hibernate a while?? I like problems that solve themselves.
Except when they come back!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink screen