Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Quick guess, the PW4 32GB LTE models are the least popular and has the highest likelihood of coming from older stock. It probably still ships with older, jailbreakable firmware and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case even a year or two from now. Granted, quite pricey. Buying from authorized retailers instead of Amazon direct would probably get you older stock, too. Iirc, the PW4 I got from Target Cyber Monday shipped with 5.10.0.1 when even my pre-order from Amazon from weeks earlier came with 5.10.0.2.
That is probably a good guess. My 32GB wifi PW4 came from Amazon and with 5.10.0.2--I'm pretty sure on that but going from memory, it definitely started with 5.10.0. I upgraded to 5.10.3 and, reading around here on the site, I assume that means I could not jailbreak now even if I wanted to.

KOReader is cool, but it has limitations too, especially in the area of note-taking (at least the Kobo version does), and that's a non-starter for me as my primary reading app. Knowing that, and seeing the hassle of maintaining jailbreaks, and the limited other functionality you get, I'm still not convinced for me it'd be worth it, even if I could jailbreak the PW4. I'm one of those crazy users that actually LIKES the Kindle software, although there's a few things I want them to add or change.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have close to 10,000 books on my Oasis, and no collections. I personally have no need for them. The only way I need to organise my books is by author (which the Kindle does fine) and by series (which I use a Calibre metadata plugboard for).
That makes a lot of sense and it's great to hear that one can manage a large collection on Kindle, if you want to. I like low-friction approaches that don't involve a lot of mucking around on the device itself aside from actual reading, and this sounds like it works.

How well does book search perform after you have all those books on there and they have been indexed? Is it still pretty snappy?
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
I'm one of those crazy users that actually LIKES the Kindle software, although there's a few things I want them to add or change.
You're not alone in your crazyness. I like the Kindle software too and since Amazon added support for custom fonts I don't feel even the slightest urge to jailbreak.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Searching for titles and authors is virtually instantaneous. Doing a global search for text within all your books is effectively broken with that many books (it doesn't return results in any reasonable time). Searching within a specific book works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
If I didn't use Calibre, it would be the equivalent of having physical books all over the place on the floor in a dusty loft. Which books by SuchAndSuch have I not yet read? What books on $topic would I recommend? Spend hours in the loft before being able to ansnwer
Lol, this is actually my default mode. I use an iPad for majority of my personal computing so I often let hundreds of reading material accumulate before I organize them in Calibre and do any metadata cleanup. As such, any thoughts or personal tags I might have had after reading would've been forgotten already. That said, I tend to read stuff as I acquire them so I don't really need Calibre to keep track of read/unread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
For example, a few weeks ago I wanted to recommend a series of 4 novels to a friend. I remembered the topic but not the name of the author nor the title. Had I not tagged them in Calibre, it would have taken me quite a bit of googling to find the title name.

Or I wanted to remember what essays I had read on a certain, very specific topic (I had to recommend something to a friend in this case, too). Again, without tags I'd have struggled, because not all the books had the explicit topic in the title.
I'd often remember phrases from the book but not the author or title. For this, I find the library-wide, full text search on the Kindle incredibly useful. At times even more useful than Calibre tags. Granted, I have less than a thousand AZW3/MOBI files on my Kindle.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
KOReader is cool, but it has limitations too, especially in the area of note-taking (at least the Kobo version does), and that's a non-starter for me as my primary reading app. Knowing that, and seeing the hassle of maintaining jailbreaks, and the limited other functionality you get, I'm still not convinced for me it'd be worth it, even if I could jailbreak the PW4. I'm one of those crazy users that actually LIKES the Kindle software, although there's a few things I want them to add or change.
Totally understandable. As a general rule, I prevent automatic updates on all my software and devices so maintaining the jailbreak is easy enough for me. The difficult part was finding a device that's jailbreakable without needing to do a hardware/serial mod.

For me, the primary draw of KOReader is that I don't need to convert my EPUB/CBZ to MOBI/AZW3 first before I can read them on the Kindle. Helps facilitate my laziness.

I've given up on highlights/notes for (fan)fiction. I think I'll just wait until Calibre's ebook-viewer gets native support for those. Otherwise, annotations syncing is impossible when using multiple platforms/ereaders/apps particularly for sideloaded stuff that gets frequently updated.

My technical books are the ones where annotation is necessary and those are all in PDF anyway (ergo built-in, universal support for annotations).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:21 AM   #22
eruditionastic
Enthusiast
eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: G090G1 5.9.7 G090G1 5.10.2
I keep all my books in Calibre. I only transfer to the Kindle via the @kindle.com email address. I added some extra columns in Calibre to let me keep track of what goes on the Kindle, and what I've read. I change the titles based on Series and such using the calibre plugboard thing.

The only book management I do the Kindle itself is "delete".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RH532gS.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	170006  

Last edited by issybird; 03-04-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Oversize image thumbnailed.
eruditionastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #23
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@eruditionastic: I'm guessing that you mangled book titles (by inserting series and series index information that you already have in "Series" column) in Calibre library itself because you are sending "mobi both" files (in order to get azw3 files delivered to your Kindle?) via email the files to your Kindle?

Because, IIRC, Calibre still doesn't correctly edit title metadata for those dual format mobi files? I haven't re-tested that in years so I'm not 100% confident if it is still the case...

If you're sending plain old mobi files you can achieve the same end result by using metadata plugboards with "email" chosen as a "device"
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #24
eruditionastic
Enthusiast
eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: G090G1 5.9.7 G090G1 5.10.2
@shamanNS: No I keep the title the title. I forgot to edit those titles to the proper name. I send either mobi azw3 or epub by email to the kindle. Amazon automatically converts whatever format if needed and places it on the kindle.

I use the metadata plugboard with "{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}" to rename the file when it's emailed.
eruditionastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #25
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
I’m probably an oddball here. I’ll use Calibre to convert books to a particular format and that’s about it. Maybe it’s me but I haven’t gotten the point of it.

I don’t keep a lot of books on my Kindle as it really slowed them down and having page after page after page of collections it was difficult to sort through them. I like my DXG for the larger screen and physical buttons but I max it out at maybe 150 books or so.

The older SW seems to sort them in no particular order other than my “last read” it makes it unwieldy to sort so even having only 4gb of storage isn’t an issue. I see the newer ones have more storage and I’m sure better SW but to me it was pointless to have more here as it they don’t handle it well.

As far as total library management I prefer “One Drive” even on all my Apple devices. Surprisingly with all the options out there... Apple iCloud, Apple Files, Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive. I find One Drive works the best. PC-Mac-Phone or iPad if I have an Internet connection I’m good and with 30 GB of space for one account and the ease of switching accounts for books magazines and notes that’s more than enough and it’s free.

All my books are listed by Author in separate files and and a series is listed in a subfolder of the authors primary folder. I do less reading on my kindle anymore but since it’s an older 3g device unless I’m buying a book I really need to hook it up to the PC to make things happen.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #26
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
For me, ALL of my organization/management is done in Calibre. My Kindle is a reading device only (it hasn't even been online for eons - I sideload everything from Calibre). I keep between one and two dozen books maximum on my Kindle. With that small number of books I can always find my next book to read by just scrolling through the entire library on the device. No need for any organization on the portable device. Once I finish a book on the Kindle, I immediately delete it. I can always put it back onto the Kindle later, via Calibre, if I want. Every so often I plug my Kindle into the computer and use Calibre to review and update what I have available on the Kindle. But I never keep much on the Kindle since I only read one book at a time, and in my case, they are all fiction novels.

The Kindle is an excellent eReader, but an atrocious organizer. I suspect this statement describes most every other eInk device as well. I take no pleasure in banging my head against a wall trying to make a device perform a task that it is so dreadful at, no matter how much one may wish things to be different. I personally don't see any need to agonize over which eInk device you buy either, looking for the best organizer. Trying to figure out and rank pitiful vs. pitiful+1 is a fool's errand.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #27
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I tried to use kindle’s collections early on, but found it more trouble than it was worth. So for many years, I’ve used a simple process, but it works for me.

I sort by author on the kindle itself, and it works great - that’s how I sort books in my mind anyway. Add to that the convenience of the “recent’’ sort, and kindle’s excellent search functions, and I’m able to keep tons of books on my kindle with no issues.

If I really need to jog my memory, looking at Calibre usually helps. If I just want to browse my Amazon library (1000s), I also use the kindle app on an ipad pro. I can scan my whole library, with book covers, very quickly.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #28
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I personally don't see any need to agonize over which eInk device you buy either, looking for the best organizer. Trying to figure out and rank pitiful vs. pitiful+1 is a fool's errand.
LOL, that is so true. Just get the ereader that you like the features on the most, take a few minutes to learn how to convert and sync things in Calibre, and get back to reading. To me, spending lots of time farting around with creating organization structure on any device is generally time poured down a black hole. With most devices, even Android readers like Moon+, the organization you create on the device is limited to that specific app, o once again, any organizing you do there is stuck in a proprietary tar pit and you can't get it out of there and share it with your other devices.

It really makes sense as a general strategy to do one's organizing in Calibre, and keep it simple on the reading device.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #29
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense and it's great to hear that one can manage a large collection on Kindle, if you want to. I like low-friction approaches that don't involve a lot of mucking around on the device itself aside from actual reading, and this sounds like it works.

How well does book search perform after you have all those books on there and they have been indexed? Is it still pretty snappy?
I have over 3000...no issues on searches.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #30
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
on Kindle Author Last name, First name. Kindle will also keep track of what you have read. Same on the Kobo.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote