Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2023, 12:57 PM   #61
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
And yet, you don't follow your own advice.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't know it could be done using Kindle Unlimited and two Kindles. But the answer is that you do it.

If I had a Kobo Plus, this is something I would try.
I'd be nervous about causing authors to miss out on getting paid, so wouldn't pull anything cute.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2023, 02:52 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
You know, Kobo Plus would be a good chance for the Big 5 to join and give an Amazon competitor a steroid injection. It's a shame they won't do it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:40 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'd be nervous about causing authors to miss out on getting paid, so wouldn't pull anything cute.
It's not about being cute. It's about being able to fix the eBooks and the author still getting paid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:20 PM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think you can only fix ebooks you buy, if you want to be sure people are paid.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2023, 05:42 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think you can only fix ebooks you buy, if you want to be sure people are paid.
Have you tried? The idea is to load the eBook on the Kobo and then removed the DRM, make some edits and use Calibre to load it to the Kobo so the Kobo doesn't know it's a different eBook.

It sounds like it might work.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #67
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Have you tried? The idea is to load the eBook on the Kobo and then removed the DRM, make some edits and use Calibre to load it to the Kobo so the Kobo doesn't know it's a different eBook.

It sounds like it might work.
Since you’re the interested party here and you have the tools to do this why not test it yourself.

You could have your answer as well as provide it for everyone here.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:30 PM   #68
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Since you’re the interested party here and you have the tools to do this why not test it yourself.

You could have your answer as well as provide it for everyone here.
Good suggestion.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-12-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 03:53 AM   #69
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonGiesing View Post
Interesting, I borrowed a few and there's no filter on my device at all, only OverDrive and Dropbox show up. On the latest Sage firmware, 4.35.20400.

Also notably, the Kobo Plus page on Discover throws a network error, eBooks, Audiobooks, Overdrive, Wishlist, etc. all load fine and I can still borrow and see what are Kobo Plus books if I find it one of those other places.

How frustrating. Have you tried rebooting the device, or even repairing the account? That might fix the error on your end. I had to repair the account on one of my Kobos, and afterwards Kobo Plus worked properly.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:09 AM   #70
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Plus now available in US & UK

I’ve been away for a bit due to illness, so I’m glad to see the thread rambling along in colorful ways. 😅

I’ve been experimenting with what was available. As expected, the big guns are missing, but there are a lot of other offerings.

I had mixed results with Japanese light novels. Cross Infinite World is all in. Other mainstream publishers in that genre are not.

Kodansha Comics is in. They are using a similar approach with their manga that they take with KU. The first four volumes of older series can be found on KP, but hot, new titles are not. In contrast, Viz Comics has nothing on KP that I can see. I haven’t extensively searched for American comics yet.

As expected, there's a veritable ocean of Indy pubbed work. However, I was pleased to see classic Science Fiction works sprinkled in with the hot, bare-chested, alien werewolves looking for a good earth woman. All kidding aside, many of the main SF&F publishers haven’t jumped on board yet. I thought Baen would be a good candidate, but their works aren’t available on the program either.

If you search for books via title, looking for similar works to that book with the Kobo Plus filter helps you find more downloadable content. If you want to browse via category, then access the menu on the top left of the website, select Kobo Plus, and you'll get a landing page filled with categories to choose from. I haven’t found a way to search via genre using Discover on the Kobo eReader yet, however.

So far, I’ve been pleased with my free trial. I’ve found political works, fantasy, science fiction, Japanese light novels, comics, manga, etc. More than I can read in one month, making the future $7.99 subscription a tempting purchase.
Old 04-13-2023, 04:15 AM   #71
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo Plus now available in US & UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It does seem that Tapatalk and MobileRead's image handler do not work together.

Unfortunately, it may be a pain to work around this on a mobile device.

Yeah, agreed. It’s likely mobileread is blocking Tapatalk because it’s easy to attach HiRes images from a phone that are so large that they break the website’s formatting. That’s just speculation, but judging by some exasperated comments made by a mod or two, it wouldn’t surprise me if it were the case.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is it possible to read Kobo Plus eBooks as ePub?
Old 06-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
No, Jon. Kobo Plus ebooks are kepub and mostly epub3 so you (as in Jon) could not possibly read them using RMSDK.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:25 PM   #74
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Is it possible to read Kobo Plus eBooks as ePub?

Not without stripping their DRM.

Kobo Plus does frequent handshaking over Wi-Fi as you're reading to keep tabs on how many pages have been turned. Earlier in this thread, people have pointed out that stripping the DRM from a Kobo Plus book is a form of theft. Others have posted that it's a trivial matter to strip that DRM. I've not really looked into it much myself. That's as much as I'll say publicly. As an author, I have no desire to rob somebody of their income. I read all my Kobo Plus books with Wi-Fi on from the Kobo reader.

In short, Yes, you can convert those books to generic EPUB, but in order to do it, you have to illegally strip DRM from a rental. Likely more in point to your question, if you strip the DRM in order to convert the format, you break the magic of Kobo Plus that rewards authors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-10-2023, 03:46 AM   #75
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

I’m going into my third month with Kobo Plus now, and I’m fairly pleased with it. I certainly have plenty of books to read without complaining that the selection isn’t large enough.

I have spotted one flaw, however. You’re allowed up to 50 books at a time, which is five times more than Kindle Unlimited allows, but unlike KU, you can’t manage the books that you have. Meaning, there’s no mechanism that I can see to return the book. At some point, I will hit my 51st book, and then I’ll know how Kobo Plus handles it. Any of you Canadians care to give me a sneak peek?