Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2022, 04:56 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobia View Post
My PC recognizes the e-reader as a device under This PC and as well as the Reader for PC... It's just the .exe program didn't recognize that it was plugged in already
I don't know if it's necessary or not, but when I updated the T2 last night, I didn't plug the reader in until after I ran the update program and got to the prompt "waiting for the T2" (or something like that). It didn't "light up" the update button until the computer recognized the T2. Maybe the order is important? (Probably not, but I'm hoping.)

When plug in the T2, do you see its folders in your computer?

Is it possible that this T2 isn't the right model for this firmware? I don't know if that makes a difference, but it might.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #17
tobia
tobia began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just realized mine is a T3 after checking in the Reader for PC program. Bought mine refurbished back in 2014 and haven't really used it.
tobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2022, 07:40 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobia View Post
I just realized mine is a T3 after checking in the Reader for PC program. Bought mine refurbished back in 2014 and haven't really used it.
Oh, okay — that makes more sense. I never could find a firmware update for the T3. I don't know if there ever was one. My T3 firmware version is 1.1.01.17210, is that the same as yours?

I found a firmware upgrade file for the T3 on Sony's Arab site. I'm not sure it's worth it. Basically all it does is enable the Kobo store (which, I don't think, works anyhow). It also takes away several features -- Here's the "about this file" translated from the Arab web site...

Quote:
What does this update do?
This update applies to PRS-T3 to address the following change:

Replacing the “Reader Store” icon with the “Kobo e Book Store” icon to enable direct access to the Kobo Bookstore via a Wi-Fi connection

Disable the following functionality associated with Reader Store:

Facebook share;
- Sync bookmarks and reading position
- Sync comments and headlines
- Get rid of the More Content page
I'm guessing none of this works any more anyhow.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-06-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:03 PM   #19
bben92
bben92 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T2
Hello rcentros, tobia, and others.

I just picked up a Sony PRS-T2 reader with the 1.0.05.12140 firmware.
Could you please send me the 1.1.00.15240 firmware (or newer) ?
=> private message if not possible in the feed.

Thank you very much. :-)
Benoit.
bben92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:04 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bben92 View Post
Hello rcentros, tobia, and others.

I just picked up a Sony PRS-T2 reader with the 1.0.05.12140 firmware.
Could you please send me the 1.1.00.15240 firmware (or newer) ?
=> private message if not possible in the feed.

Thank you very much. :-)
Benoit.
Here's the link...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cXC...ew?usp=sharing

Hopefully it works well for you. I think 15240 was the newest in North America.
Advert
Old 06-06-2023, 02:19 PM   #21
bben92
bben92 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T2
Hello rcentros,
Thank you very much for the link.
However, the software is not compatible with my PRS-T2 : "An unsupported model by this updater is connected".
Maybe it is only compatible with US devices ? Mine is french.
Do you have a compatible (french ?) firmware ? Or do you know where I could find it ?
Thanks again ! :-).
Benoit.
bben92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:37 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, there is mainland Europe version of some Sony models and if you could load the USA version you might lose language support, so it's blocked.

Unfortunately Sony has been systematically erasing their ebook history.

Edit. My Ireland/UK Sony PRS-T2 model is also 1.0.05.12140 firmware, it's fine except no HTTPS works due to out of date certs.
I've not even tried the USA Firmware on the principle that it works so why risk breaking it?

Last edited by Quoth; 06-06-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:46 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bben92 View Post
However, the software is not compatible with my PRS-T2 : "An unsupported model by this updater is connected".
Maybe it is only compatible with US devices ? Mine is french.
Do you have a compatible (french ?) firmware ? Or do you know where I could find it ?
I'm sorry, I should have asked about your location. I only have the North American edition. I have just searched for and found a download for the EU version of the firmware, but (unfortunately) it's the same version that you have already. Is it possible that this was the latest EU version?

https://projects.mobileread.com/read...ReleasesT2/FW/

(This is actually older than yours.)

Your version, 1.0.05.12140, was released in March of 2015, that may have been the latest EU release.

I did find a download for this version, but it's what you already have...

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FI...shtml#download

I'll keep searching, but so far this is the latest I can find for the T2 EU firmware. The last North American version was simply to change from the Sony bookstore to the Kobo bookstore. Not sure if the EU versions made this change.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-06-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:41 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

Your version, 1.0.05.12140, was released in March of 2015, that may have been the latest EU release.

I'll keep searching, but so far this is the latest I can find for the T2 EU firmware. The last North American version was simply to change from the Sony bookstore to the Kobo bookstore. Not sure if the EU versions made this change.
I suspect it was.

I remember now that that is why I didn't even try to install the US version as it only swaps Sony store to Kobo store.
BUT:
1) Likely there was no Kobo EU stores then.
2) Even with Kobo ereader I only use the Kobo store with PC web browser purchase & download and Calibre (on Linux).
3) Does the last North American version still work with HTTPS certs anyway?

Unlike the flaky T1, the only "broken" thing on the T2 seems to be Web browsing, which is rubbish even on new Kobo, Kindle and Android eink. An advantage for youngster that it can't use the Web
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:51 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
3) Does the last North American version still work with HTTPS certs anyway?
No. I'm guessing it had the same HTTPS certs as the latest EU version. Its browser has been useless for a long time. At one point (if I remember right) the Sony readers worked directly with Overdrive in the U.S. — I think there was even an app specifically for that. (But it also disappeared with the Sony to Kobo change.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Unlike the flaky T1, the only "broken" thing on the T2 seems to be Web browsing, which is rubbish even on new Kobo, Kindle and Android eink. An advantage for youngster that it can't use the Web
I've read a lot of books on the T2. Nice reader. If they made a new one with a Carta screen and a front light I would probably buy it. I really liked the way Sony rendered fonts.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:16 AM   #26
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

I have a T2 I still use, a T1 that still works and two damaged T1s. Any suggestion on something that's a more modern replacement, rcentros?
I don't want to go with a Kindle.

As far as books go, I use my PC to get books from my library via Overdrive, download with Adobe Digital Editions and then transfer them to my readers using Calibre.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:09 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I have a T2 I still use, a T1 that still works and two damaged T1s. Any suggestion on something that's a more modern replacement, rcentros?
My favorite reader is a PocketBook HD 3, but a lot of people here like Kobos better. One of the reason I bought (and like) the PocketBook is because I use Linux and so I couldn't install Adobe Digital Editions (never could get Wine working right with ADE). The PocketBook has ADE built in. The PocketBook also has page turn buttons at the bottom (kind of like a Sony, but in different positions). If you don't care about the buttons and don't need to worry about ADE on the device (and you want a 6" screen), the Kobo Clara (either HD or 2E) is pretty nice.

Quote:
As far as books go, I use my PC to get books from my library via Overdrive, download with Adobe Digital Editions and then transfer them to my readers using Calibre.
With the Calibre plugins DeDRM and DeACSM you can bypass Adobe Digital Edition altogether. But I don't like to remove DRM from library books so I usually just move my Overdrive ACSM files to the PocketBook and let it take care of downloading the ePub (leaving DRM intact).

A less expensive PocketBook alternative would be the Touch Lux 5 (it has 212 dpi screen instead of 300 dpi) but it's still a pretty nice reader.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-08-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:49 PM   #28
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

I didn't know DeACSM was even a thing. I do know people were big on Kobos but there always seemed to be a newer one that looked good.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:51 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Kobo Libra 2 is my choice for replacing a Sony Reader. I replace my T1 with a Kobo Aura H2O and now I have a Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:25 AM   #30
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I seem to have downloaded the PRS-T2_Updater_1.1.00.17210.exe somewhere in 27-10-2016 from the European Sony website, but cannot remember anything about it or even whether I did ever installed it. Probably not. But at least it shows there where later versions after 1.0.05.12140.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote