Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-28-2023, 01:10 PM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So the exact same version of ADE 4.5.11.187303 on Windows works fine for epub2 with 100% but not for epub3?
In case my report was unclear, I only used ADE 2.0.1.78765 and ADE 4.5.11.187303 for my tests and I didn't have to modify the svg code of the epub2 book for ADE2 and ADE4, because both rendered the cover fine.

I only had to add height:100vh; to the cover svg code of the epub3 book for ADE4.

IIRC, ADE 4 comes with two different rendering engines, one for epub2 books and one for epub3 books, which would explain the different rendering results for epub2 and epub3 book covers.

Quote:
Sigil does have epub version specific code for the cover so adding that workaround to the epub3 version is easily doable.
Adding height: 100vh; to the cover svg style tag in epub3 books should fix this annoying ADE 4 problem.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:37 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This code does not work in ADE 2.0.1. You get a very small cover eve if the cover image is hi-res.

Code:
        <div>
            <svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
                xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
                width="100vw" height="100vh" viewBox="0 0 1669 2560"
                preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet">
                <image width="1669" height="2560" xlink:href="images/cover.jpg"/>
            </svg>
        </div>
This code works perfectly with %. The cover does not cause a blank page after the cover.

Code:
        <div>
                xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
                width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1669 2560"
                preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet">
                <image width="1669" height="2560" xlink:href="images/cover.jpg"/>
            </svg>
        </div>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Not necessarily.

I had issues with full screen images ‘bleeding’ into a 2nd page when I used 100%. When I switched to vw/vh it cleared it right up.

As with anything, check your target device(s) and see which one you want to use.
What program were you using that caused a bleeding to the 2nd page? It's a bug in that program.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:56 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If anyone has Adobe Digital Editions versions on their machines could they please test the use of "100%" for width and height in an svg cover versus "100vw" for width and "100vh" for height (or 98 or 95 or ...). And report back.

Also please test elibrarian's inline style workaround if you find a version of ADE that has the bug and report that back also.

That way we can make a more informed decision on how best to workaround this ADE bug for use in the next version of Sigil.

Thanks

KevinH
@elibrarian's workaround works perfectly in ADE 2.0.1. I would change 98vh to 100vh. Covers don't look good when they aren't full screen. Question. Does the style make any difference to ePub 3?

style="height:98vh;" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1669 2560"
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"> <image width="1669" height="2560"
xlink:href="images/cover.jpg"/>
</svg>
</div>[/quote]
Old 05-28-2023, 02:11 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ADE 2.0.1.

MAC: https://adedownload.adobe.com/pub/ad..._Installer.dmg
Windows: https://adedownload.adobe.com/pub/ad..._Installer.exe
Old 05-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
Please refrain from posting any more in this thread, Jon. Your contributions are neither helpful nor wanted. You're simply making noise.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:06 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Okay, based on this feedback, I have now changed the epub3 add cover code to be:

Code:
const QString HTML5_COVER_SOURCE =
    "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\" standalone=\"no\" ?>\n"
    "<!DOCTYPE html>\n\n"
    "<html xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\" xmlns:epub=\"http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops\">\n"
    "<head>\n"
    "  <title>Cover</title>\n"
    "</head>\n"
    ""
    "<body>\n"
    "  <div style=\"height: 100vh; text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;\">\n"
    "    <svg xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/2000/svg\" height=\"100%\" preserveAspectRatio=\"xMidYMid meet\" version=\"1.1\" viewBox=\"0 0 SGC_IMAGE_WIDTH SGC_IMAGE_HEIGHT\" width=\"100%\" xmlns:xlink=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink\">\n"
    "      <image width=\"SGC_IMAGE_WIDTH\" height=\"SGC_IMAGE_HEIGHT\" xlink:href=\"SGC_IMAGE_FILENAME\"/>\n"
    "    </svg>\n"
    "  </div>\n"
    "</body>\n"
    "</html>\n";
which generates the following when adding the cover image from our Sigil User Guide:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
  <title>Cover</title>
</head>
<body>
  <div style="height: 100vh; text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 600 800" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image width="600" height="800" xlink:href="../Images/cover.png"/>
    </svg>
  </div>
</body>
</html>
Thanks to all who pointed out the ADE issue (with epub3) and potential workarounds.

This change has now been pushed to Sigil master.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:16 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quick question on this:

Sigil also uses a template file IF the user has created one and stored it in the preferences folder ("cover.xhtml"). I think we discussed this a while back and I thought you had made the option for different files for ePub2 and ePub3.

Will this change still honor the template file(s) should the user choose to create one???
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #24
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I only had to add height:100vh; to the cover svg code of the epub3 book for ADE4.
Ahh, I did not test EPUB3.

Want to attach a sample EPUB3 so we could more easily test these different readers/variants?

Side Note: Still sounds like something ADOBE should be fixing in their reader...

Quote:
I had issues with full screen images ‘bleeding’ into a 2nd page when I used 100%. [...]
Yes, I've seen this too, especially in the browser-based or mobile Android apps (like PocketBook Reader).

Jellby has described the technical details many times over the years, where users expect height="100%" to:
  • match the height of the screen

... but that's not correct. It's:
  • the height of the parent container.

Everyone agrees on 100% width, and it works as expected, but 100% height leads to all sorts of oddities/conflicts across implementations.

Then you have to take into account headers/footers (from reader/app/OS)—so again, the 100% "screen height" you expect isn't actually taking up the entire screen.

This is why:

AND THEN, the crux of this "blank page" problem, is an internal rounding issue. Imagine, after the headers, footers, OS/reader info, you had:
  • 1110px height available

... but then it "100% scaled" the height of the image to:
  • 1110.1px

This is why:
  • The "98% hack" was sometimes suggested as well.
    • 98% would ensure scaled height would always fall below, even if there was a slight "rounding-up" error.

The issue with new CSS3 units—like vh/vw + rem—is that they wouldn't work on older devices/readers.

The SVG wrapper is/was the ultimate solution to all of these though. :P

- - -

Side Note: For more info on vh/vw, also see:

For more info on the "98% hack" + "blank screen after images", see previous discussion in:

I was never a big fan, so I never promoted the "98% hack"... but I wouldn't fault others for trying to squash the "2nd blank page" issue if they were SO annoyed by it.

Side Note #2: This a bug/issue in some small minority of readers, so I would strongly vote against changing Sigil's correct 100% (or 100vh) Add Cover into 98% just to appease this quirk.

ADE needs to fix their crap!

And if you, as an ebook creator/reader, are annoyed by that 2nd blank page (on whatever device you're using), then you can do that manual code adjustment afterwards.

That's just my 2 cents!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:39 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Quick question on this:

Sigil also uses a template file IF the user has created one and stored it in the preferences folder ("cover.xhtml"). I think we discussed this a while back and I thought you had made the option for different files for ePub2 and ePub3.

Will this change still honor the template file(s) should the user choose to create one???
The template code is completely controlled by the user and overrides all else, so no worries.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #26
Interrobang
Oracle Pig Keeper
Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Tab
I too have been having trouble getting the cover image to fill the screen on e-readers. I tried different approaches in HTML/CSS with no success. I tried the FlightDeck solution, no luck there. Then I found this thread and tried the updated code, but the resulting image was only slightly larger. [Side note: I found the info in this thread very informative.]

I'm currently building an EPUB3 sample book so that I can learn Sigil before moving onto books that will be sold. When viewing the ebook on either a Kindle or Samsung tablet, I get a large white border around the image. The border is thicker along the bottom. I've looked at other ebooks and their covers are full screen, so I know it can be done.

Any help would be appreciated. As I said, I've been attempting to beat this through trial and error, but after a week I'm ready for some help.

[Also, I thought about making a new thread on the subject, but thought this post was inline with the thread I replied to.]

Thanks
Tim
Interrobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:12 PM   #27
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Did you copy/paste the code from above, or use Sigil’s "add cover" tool?

If you copy/pasted the image or viewport dimensions may be incorrect.

The add cover tool will automatically add the correct image size and viewport dimensions so you will get the image to the largest size (maximizes height OR width depending on orientation) possible without changing the image aspect. You will have borders along either the side OR top, but not both.

I manually add a style to change the background color to an appropriate color to compliment the image like this:

Code:
<body style="background-color:black">

OR

<body style="background-color:rgb(0,0,0)">

OR

<body style="background-color:rgba(0,0,0,1)">
You can use an image editor eye dropper tool to get an appropriate color directly from the cover image if black or white don’t work.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:56 PM   #28
Interrobang
Oracle Pig Keeper
Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote:
Did you copy/paste the code from above, or use Sigil’s "add cover" tool?
I used the tool Add Cover and replaced the original cover.xhtml file I had created.

Tim
Old 06-19-2023, 03:15 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Kevin's changes made to Add Cover (for EPUB3) mentioned in this thread will not appear in Sigil until the release after v1.9.30. Unless you compile Sigil from source yourself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:50 PM   #30
Interrobang
Oracle Pig Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
Kevin's changes made to Add Cover (for EPUB3) mentioned in this thread will not appear in Sigil until the release after v1.9.30. Unless you compile Sigil from source yourself.
Okay, I manually added Kevin's changes to my cover file and..... no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91
Code:
<body style="background-color:rgb(0,0,0)">
When I added this code, I now see a black border on the left, right, and bottom edges of the image, but the whole image is still surrounded by a while border, albeit smaller on those three sides and maybe more uniform.

It's progress, and provides further details on troubleshooting the issue.

So, if the area now in black is part of the viewport, which is why it's now colored, why isn't the image being scaled into that area to begin with? Maybe @Tex2002ans has a clue?

Thanks
Tim