Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2023, 07:20 AM   #286
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I've not had any problems on my Clara.

I wish I could say the same. My Elipsa doesn’t have these problems. I wonder what is different between your Clara HD and mine, or between my Elipsa and my Clara HD. Have you upgraded the SD card in your Clara? I believe mine is 128 GB now. I don’t know if that’s the difference, but I thought I’d throw it out there.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:30 AM   #287
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Actually, since I ran into the battery draining eternal Wi-Fi sync bug last Fall
There are a number of issues that can cause the sync to fail and eternally retry. One of them is a corrupted database.

Kobo tech support suggests factory reset so often because it triggers a fresh build of the database. However I found you can also do this by just deleting the two sqlite files and you don't lose most of the side loaded content. (Dictionaries and screensavers still get deleted.)

Factory reset is such a pain though, no matter how you do it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:20 PM   #288
Northwind
Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Northwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
4.35 seems extremely slow on aura H2O. same effect on two readers.
(I seem to remember somone mentioned that in this thread earlier)
general response is ok, but page turns take 3-5 seconds.
just downgraded to 4.34 and everthing ist nice and fast again.
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:56 PM   #289
Burblebup
Enthusiast
Burblebup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
On my Sage, while not terrible, 4.35 is undeniably more clunky and prone to crashes than previous versions. Here's hoping the next version is better.
Burblebup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 01:37 AM   #290
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burblebup View Post
On my Sage, while not terrible, 4.35 is undeniably more clunky and prone to crashes than previous versions. Here's hoping the next version is better.
I didn't use it with previous versions but my Sage is very stable with this version. More than the Libra2 and the Clara 2E. I use KOReader exclusively.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:06 AM   #291
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I don't know if this is a function of this firmware or if it's just because I'm running into more footnotes recently, but has anyone else noticed that the Kobo's footnote handling is even worse than before? I've reformatted every footnote to my standard and even though they work fine in Calibre's Editor and Viewer (even the popups work), on my Sage, the popups almost never work, when they do, they don't stop at the end of the footnote, and sometimes the linking function doesn't even work. It's not a matter of not being able to correctly hit the footnote number (i.e., the link). Those will highlight and de-highlight just fine.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #292
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
I don't know if this is a function of this firmware or if it's just because I'm running into more footnotes recently, but has anyone else noticed that the Kobo's footnote handling is even worse than before? I've reformatted every footnote to my standard and even though they work fine in Calibre's Editor and Viewer (even the popups work), on my Sage, the popups almost never work, when they do, they don't stop at the end of the footnote, and sometimes the linking function doesn't even work. It's not a matter of not being able to correctly hit the footnote number (i.e., the link). Those will highlight and de-highlight just fine.
I'm currently reading a book with tons of footnotes (it's basically a 700 pages paper book + 500 pages of footnotes), and I had no issue, so far.

It's a DRM-epub, I stripped the DRM and then converted it to kepub with KTE. I didn't change anything on the CSS.
Pop-up shows up when I click on the note-number, if I click on "Close" or anywhere outside the popup, the footnote closes, if I click on "See more", I go to the actual footnote at the end of the book, and clicking back on the number, I go back to the page I was on.
I'm on Libra H2O, updated to the latest firmware (no patches)
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:33 AM   #293
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
OK. Thanks. Since it doesn't appear to be universal, I'll start a separate thread.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:54 PM   #294
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
I don't know if this is a function of this firmware or if it's just because I'm running into more footnotes recently, but has anyone else noticed that the Kobo's footnote handling is even worse than before?
I've had lots of problems, not with footnotes, but with links in documents using small fonts. I can highlight it easily, but following the link is super irritating. Sometimes for links split across lines, tapping the second half works best.

I don't think this is a firmware thing, as it has more or less always been a problem. I do think it is a stylesheet issue, but other than small font size, I'm not sure what causes it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:20 PM   #295
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I've had lots of problems, not with footnotes, but with links in documents using small fonts. I can highlight it easily, but following the link is super irritating. Sometimes for links split across lines, tapping the second half works best.

I don't think this is a firmware thing, as it has more or less always been a problem. I do think it is a stylesheet issue, but other than small font size, I'm not sure what causes it.
If the eBook has small footnotes, it's best to convert to KePub unless you don't mind editing the ePub to fix the size of the footnotes.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:26 PM   #296
jcotton42
jcotton42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I finally have logs relating to the freezes I've been having... unfortunately I'm not sure how helpful they really are. I had logread -F dumping to the internal storage in the background, and the only thing in common between the two crashes I got on log is a bunch of messages like:

Quote:
Feb 28 10:11:47 nickel: ( 3961.439 @ 0x27ec2b8 / input.warning) void QEvdevTouchScreenHandler::readData() woke up with wrong nfds
but those are in the log so often that I doubt they're related.

Any ideas?

Last edited by jcotton42; 02-28-2023 at 09:27 PM. Reason: formatting
jcotton42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:54 AM   #297
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If anyone here is running an unpatched 4.35.20400 (no widows and orphans set in the configuration file), please download the attached ePub and post if you get widows & orphans or not. Thanks.

I have not installed this firmware as I'm on the fence.
Attached Files
File Type: epub H. G. Wells - War of the Worlds.epub (311.3 KB, 79 views)
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:46 PM   #298
trishau
Enthusiast
trishau is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Downloaded > Calibre > Clara HD (no patches) Looks fine!
trishau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 04:59 PM   #299
Manguas
Manguas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
On my Kobo Forma, a battery drain problem started to happen.
I don't remember when the device was updated. And I did not use it for a while.
Battery was draining %10 per hour while the device is on sleep mode, wifi off, auto sync off.

I tried everything. All my Kobo books are archived. I use dedrmed epub versions of them, so I can manage all my books from different sources from Calibre. I unarchived a single book on my Kobo account, and did factory reset on my device. Device synced this single book only. But the problem was not solved.

Then I downgraded to 4.34.20097. For now it seems like the problem is solved. I hope it stays that way. I will not enable wifi, because it automatically downloads the update and installs it on the next restart. I found a patch to disable this, but I don't want to modify the system, and I don't need to sync anyway.
Manguas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:58 PM   #300
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm also on 4.34 and haven't experienced the problem yet when sleeping. If 4.35 makes it worse, it's concerning that Kobo hasn't noticed and released 4.36 yet, but perhaps it's due to a convergence of factors not specifically related to 4.35.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release