Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #376
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
View Manager v1.10.0 Released

Release Notes:
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...anager-v1.10.0
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:14 AM   #377
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I don't know if this has been asked, but is there some way of being able to get the views from one library into another?

I have one library (main) that has all the best views, but another library I am working with has only a couple. The columns are pretty much the same, but I can't figure out how to do it without copying over one metatadata_pref.json to the other and just resetting the library from the metadata - which ends up a mess.

Any suggestions?
Rellwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:26 AM   #378
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I don't know if this has been asked, but is there some way of being able to get the views from one library into another?

I have one library (main) that has all the best views, but another library I am working with has only a couple. The columns are pretty much the same, but I can't figure out how to do it without copying over one metatadata_pref.json to the other and just resetting the library from the metadata - which ends up a mess.

Any suggestions?
I definitely wouldn’t recommend messing with copying over the entire json file, it will wreck all your other plugin settings. If you were extremely careful you could copy the relevant json section from one to the other but chances are high you screw up with the wrong number of braces or commas unless you are diligent. So you should definitely keep a backup copy you can rollback to if you were to attempt it.

It sounds a reasonable feature request for the plugin. I will put it on the rainy day list to investigate. There are a few wrinkles I’m not sure how I will deal with until I try it - custom columns in a view that don’t exist in the target db, a view already existing with that same name etc. It will need at least one new dialog to pick the library. So not a five minute change…
Old 10-18-2022, 04:30 AM   #379
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is it possible to copy/paste between Customize View Manager > View Library Preferences? Though ss mentioned in #378, this may result in problems if the db isn't compatible.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:00 AM   #380
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Is it possible to copy/paste between Customize View Manager > View Library Preferences? Though ss mentioned in #378, this may result in problems if the db isn't compatible.
Yeah that is effectively the same thing, just scoped to a subset of the file. But all the same concerns over making sure you copied just the right data remain if you were trying to only copy a specific view.

Actually I presume the plugin must already handle custom columns in a view not being present - after all if users delete custom columns calibre doesnt automatically go fix up View Manager plugin views. So it might work ok as a quick stop-gap.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #381
kiwidude

View Manager v1.10.2 Released

Release Notes:
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...anager-v1.10.2

This is a pre-emptive strike change - an API this plugin relied upon is not going to exist shortly. Thanks to @chaley for the heads up and the fix...

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-19-2022 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Further change made for Python 2.x compatibility
Old 10-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #382
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I definitely wouldn’t recommend messing with copying over the entire json file, it will wreck all your other plugin settings. If you were extremely careful you could copy the relevant json section from one to the other but chances are high you screw up with the wrong number of braces or commas unless you are diligent. So you should definitely keep a backup copy you can rollback to if you were to attempt it.

It sounds a reasonable feature request for the plugin. I will put it on the rainy day list to investigate. There are a few wrinkles I’m not sure how I will deal with until I try it - custom columns in a view that don’t exist in the target db, a view already existing with that same name etc. It will need at least one new dialog to pick the library. So not a five minute change…
Perhaps and import/export feature like Calibre does for their look/feel settings, and if the column doesn't exist then it does what the plugin currently does when columns in views don't exist and just skipps over them rather than throwing an error - or some kind of indicator that the columns have been changed.

ALSO - would REALLY like the ability to save an updated version of the view instead of having to rename it. I open views, fiddle with them and want to save them, but I have to rename them and end up with two views - one is outdated and the other is a different name. Too many Default, Newest Default, etc. Instead of going in and deleting them. I have to do this everywhere in Calibre so I suspect it's not something that is overlooked but rather a necessary evil. Just "save" rather than "save as"
Old 10-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #383
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Yeah that is effectively the same thing, just scoped to a subset of the file. But all the same concerns over making sure you copied just the right data remain if you were trying to only copy a specific view.

Actually I presume the plugin must already handle custom columns in a view not being present - after all if users delete custom columns calibre doesnt automatically go fix up View Manager plugin views. So it might work ok as a quick stop-gap.
Instead of one view at a time it probably would have to be a complete write over with every view. That was what I was thinking.

I have Beyond Compare and WinMerge/Compare and it was using those programs that I was thinking of for copy/pasting the information in the .json. Just lining up the two files and copying over that particular section.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #384
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This may have been raised before.

The sort direction icons are very hard to see in dark mode, see attachment.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-17 083612.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	198462  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #385
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
This may have been raised before.

The sort direction icons are very hard to see in dark mode, see attachment.

BR
The github had XCF (gimp file format) with lighter arrows. I exported them to .png for you.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2022, 10:11 PM   #386
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, but for me they're worse, I'll go with these for now:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-17 140852.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	198467

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-17-2022 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add qualification
Old 12-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #387
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If I use the Re-apply current view action when there's an active search, (e.g. authors:"=Tim Winton") the search is discarded. I use the Re-apply… action after moving a column, showing a column, sorting on a specific column etc.

I'm sort of surprised I only just noticed it. IMO the search should be retained… or reinstated.

BR
Old 12-18-2022, 11:00 PM   #388
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If I use the Re-apply current view action when there's an active search, (e.g. authors:"=Tim Winton") the search is discarded. I use the Re-apply… action after moving a column, showing a column, sorting on a specific column etc.

I'm sort of surprised I only just noticed it. IMO the search should be retained… or reinstated.

BR
That doesn't happen to me unless the view is set to clear the current search.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-12-19 00_00_51-Customize View Manager.png
Views:	67
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	198509  
Old 12-18-2022, 11:55 PM   #389
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Inexplicably I had Switch to Virtual library checked and (No Virtual library) set. Hunky dory now I've I unchecked it.

Aah-ha now I see why. The Search and Virtual Library Options are per-library settings, my other libraries. . . where I'm more likely to use the Re-apply… action. . . have all three options unchecked.

Thanks for the tip.

BR
Old 03-18-2023, 05:25 AM   #390
sios00
Enthusiast
sios00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is there an easy way to select a view without first having to click the View Manager button on the toolbar, then selecting the view?

For example, making tabs on top like the "Show virtual libraries as tabs", which then creates tabs right below the top search bar.
sios00 is offline   Reply With Quote