Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #1
Volfer
Volfer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles-Paperwhites, Touch, Keyboard, Androids, Dell Venue 8 Pro W.8.1
Update Calibre from 3.40.1 to 5.34.0

Hello all,
Question please about updating Calibre Version from 3.40.1 to 5.34.0: Can I make this big of a jump in updating, or do I need to do some incremental updates? Currently on Windows 10. Will this disturb any plugins that may be installed?

3.40.1 did everything I needed until the 2021 Paperwhite and it looks like I'll need to update.

I don't think this will matter, but just in case: In my initial Calibre installation, I gave my Calibre Library a different name than the default name. It's never been a problem with previous updates, but those updates were done in a timely fashion with small version increments.

I hope this question is posted in the appropriate place. I will appreciate advice. Usually, I can find an answer to my questions here, but not this time. Many thanks to everyone here. The help and support offered here is outstanding!
Volfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
mhoule418
mhoule418 began at the beginning.

Device: calibre, Kobo (Libra 2, Clara HD, Aura H2O)
Hello,

I did update calibre by small increments since the time I use it.
A good backup is always a good idea before any action you take.

Over time, I remember that there was a version upgrade that requires a database change (bigger impact).

So, I suggest :
  1. a good backup (as previously stated)
  2. your last calibre installer version (3.xx) in case things go wrong and you need to go back

Good luck, but I expect it to go nicely (if we’ll prepared)
mhoule418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #3
Volfer

Thanks so much mhoule418! I believe you are correct, and I do have the install for 3.40.1 and will back up the library. Still, I'm hoping that someone here will say they have done just about the same thing and it actually did work just fine or didn't. Maybe I should update to 4.0 first, then to 5.0. I will wait a bit in case someone has the same experience. Either way, when I do it, I will post how it all worked out.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One issue you will run into is that many of your plugins may need to be updated since calibre 3 was using Python 2 whereas calibre 5 switched to Python 3. The basic install/upgrade will work but you may want to grab a list of your plugins for re-installation reference.

BTW, due to database changes, once you have upgraded to calibre 5.xx, the only older version you can revert to is 4.23.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:25 AM   #5
Volfer

David, this information is very helpful.

So far, on a second computer with identical backup Calibre installation, I tried first to do incremental updates from previous versions I had downloaded. (I may have created some trouble by not updating directly from the update option within Calibre which only offered 5.34.) At version 4 there were several blocked folders/controlled access issues, so next I just allowed Calibre to do the update to 5.34.

Then, advised there may be a corrupted library, so Calibre went through the rebuild process with the result "WARNING:Success" and "Restoring the database succeeded with some warnings, click 'show details' to see the details. The old database was saved as C:\Users\xx\Documents\LibraryName\metadata.pre_res tore.db." Details: "Failed to restore the books in the following folders:
C:\Users\xx\Documents\LibraryName\Author\Title with error. Only one Author/Book in the library was referenced in the error. After that rebuild process, when trying to open Calibre, It gave the same Warning Success and Details again, but I clicked OK and Calibre opened. I deleted the book with the error from within calibre.

Everything seems normal, books open in the viewer, conversions work as usual, and yes, just as you said, looks like I will have to reinstall or update some plugins. Now I'll have to explore new features!
Many thanks for the information you offered DNSB!

Tags
calibre, update