Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
QuietThyme, an OPDS catalog on the cloud

http://www.quietthyme.com/

Almost everyone here will know about Calibre, the e-book management suite. Many among those will know as well about Calibre2OPDS, which allows us to turn our Calibre library into an OPDS catalog to be parsed among various devices. However, actually getting our books online is a bit tricky. I remember an incident with Dropbox which started to disable accounts of C2OPDS users...

QuietThyme is cloud service which allows you to store files. However, the nice thing is that it also generates an OPDS catalog for them, so you can access them from your mobile phone or your tablet. They remove the complexity of using Calibre+Calibre2OPDS+3rd party cloud service, and integrate all those functions in one service (it's actually the reason why they created QT, according to their site). You upload a book, fire up Aldiko (or whatever OPDS-supporting app you have), add the OPDS catalog and alas, the books are there for you anytime.

They allow free-tier users to upload up to 100 books (provided that they're free of DRM) and manage their metadata from the website itself. The formats accepted are ePub, Mobi and PDF. 100 books is not exactly a huge lot, but they certainly will last you some time, and when you're done, you can delete them, add another fresh hundred and have them ready any time. Paid tiers have higher eBook quotas and other niceties like Goodreads integration and better support.

QuietThyme has its quirks, though: you don't have a sign-in like most services, but you need to sign up to the application with one social service, out of a fairly wide choice. I prefer native sign-ins by much, and not because of privacy but because they tend to work better than quirky APIs. Aside of that, the OPDS support is kinda weird: while Aldiko reads the catalog all right, FBReader and Cool Reader don't seem to like it. I can't evaluate other programs since I haven't used them.

However, all in all I find QT to be really valuable. Even in the free tier, 100 books to have on-demand seems like a nice deal for me, and I like how simple and easy it becomes once it's all set up.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'm impressed with QuietThyme's support! I got in touch with them and now FBReader works like a charm! This is good service, something that should be seen more often.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert