Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
New Kindle Previewer? V3.20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...cId=1000765261

Has check for Enhanced Typography support - but cannot tell you why it does not validate for that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is it possible to download and use 3.x while still maintaining 2.x on my computer?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Has check for Enhanced Typography support - but cannot tell you why it does not validate for that.
The Previewer generates error messages when conversion to KFX (the format underlying Enhanced Typesetting) fails, along with some guidance on to fix those problems, but it does not display them to the the user. My KFX Output plugin for calibre runs the Previewer, captures this hidden information, and makes it available in the conversion log.

Some of the messages it produces refer to a Formatting Guide for Enhanced Typesetting. Perhaps they will make those messages visible once that guide becomes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Is it possible to download and use 3.x while still maintaining 2.x on my computer?
Yes. I did this. Kindle Previewer 3 installs to a different location than the old Previewer.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Is it possible to make Kindle Previewer 3.20 not indexing each time a book is opened with it?
How?
TIA
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
Is it possible to make Kindle Previewer 3.20 not indexing each time a book is opened with it?
I don’t think so.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes. I did this. Kindle Previewer 3 installs to a different location than the old Previewer.
Thanks! I'd like to take KP3 out for a run.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Does Kindle Previewer 3 still output a dual .mobi with KF8/mobi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Does Kindle Previewer 3 still output a dual .mobi with KF8/mobi?
Yes. Kindle Previewer 3 runs kindlegen as part of the conversion process and that produces a Master MOBI that contains both MOBI7 and KF8 formats in one file.

(FYI: The Previewer is now up to version 3.21.)

Last edited by jhowell; 03-20-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes. Kindle Previewer 3 runs kindlegen as part of the conversion process and that produces a Master MOBI that contains both MOBI7 and KF8 formats in one file.

(FYI: The Previewer is now up to version 3.21.)

Thanks, I'll probably want to try it out then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard

Took KP3.21 for a spin tonight, seems nice! It does indeed install to its own folder, so you can have both versions available.

I like the ability to view several pages at once. It seemed to have no trouble opening or exporting/converting my latest epub effort and it has a green check for Enhanced Typesetting enabled. Now to load the .mobi on my Voyage, see if it behaves like it shows in Previewer.

I really like that I can choose WHERE to export the conversion to, my C: drive is a bit crammed, nice to have the option to send books to my D: drive where all my book project stuff resides anyway.

Thumbs up so far, Amazon!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
graycyn
Wizard

I have since uninstalled my older version of Kindle Previewer. Being a bit space challenged on my C: drive, I've found no further need to have the older version available.

However, I still don't feel it is a substitute for seeing the book on an actual Kindle device. That bit hasn't really changed. I've noticed that my SVG title pages look better on my Voyage than they ever do in Kindle Previewer. The vertical centering seems slightly off in KP as opposed to on the device itself.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk