Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
walter822
happy reader
walter822 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, IrexDR800S, Pocketbook IQ/701
Battery

My Irex DR800 is still working perfectly but I wish to buy a new battery. Can anyone help me with an information/address where to find it. Thanks.

Last edited by walter822; 02-14-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: wish to delete message
walter822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
I wonder if any sellers on ebay would be willing to do a small run of batteries with dimensions under 4 mm x 80 mm x 60 mm? The opening in the reader may be able to accommodate a Lithium battery a shade less than 5mm thick.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I know this is not exactly what you've been asking, but have you tried updating your reader with the firmware mentioned in this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222642

It helps improving the battery performance as you get a real shut-down.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine died on a plane and cannot be brought back to life, using any and all tricks documented on the web. That's why a replacement battery is the only option. According to Underwriter's Lab, this is the company that made the original Irex DR800 battery in my reader:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...666&sequence=1

PP is located in Hong Kong, and contacting them is something I may do in the future. They no longer make the oem battery they sold to Irex.

http://www.portapower.com/
Old 11-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
walter822
happy reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I know this is not exactly what you've been asking, but have you tried updating your reader with the firmware mentioned in this thread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222642

It helps improving the battery performance as you get a real shut-down.

Many thanks for your tip. It will surely improve my battery life! But I am still looking for a spare one.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
If it's still of any use, I have spare batteries for DR800s...
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 AM   #7
walter822
happy reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
If it's still of any use, I have spare batteries for DR800s...
Thanks for mailing. I would like to have a spare battery if I can buy it from you.
walter822
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books

I found an undersized battery on ebay. Search for the title:

3.7V 1800mAh Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Battery Li-Po For Mp3 GPS PSP 505060

Capacity is 1800 mAH and size is 60mm(L)*50mm(W)*5mm(H). Original DR800 battery has a capacity of 2800 mAH. You can't always get what you want ... but if you try really hard and charge it more often, you get what you need.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #9
walter822
happy reader

Thanks to all who tried to help me. I bought one baterry but it was of no use. I give up my search.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #10
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

What kind of battery was it, that didn't work? Did you turn out to have other problems that were not battery-related?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #11
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter822 View Post
Thanks to all who tried to help me. I bought one baterry but it was of no use. I give up my search.
Don't give up. I had the batteries in two Irex Iliads replaced at a specialty battery shop in Budapest about 6 months ago - on the spot, without previous appointment (!) Try to find such a battery shop in Zagreb, they can probably help you.
Good luck!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #12
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Mine died on a plane and cannot be brought back to life, using any and all tricks documented on the web. That's why a replacement battery is the only option. According to Underwriter's Lab, this is the company that made the original Irex DR800 battery in my reader:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...666&sequence=1

PP is located in Hong Kong, and contacting them is something I may do in the future. They no longer make the oem battery they sold to Irex.

http://www.portapower.com/
Did the smaller battery work out in the end?

Last edited by Jmirko; 02-16-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Did the smaller battery work out in the end?
Yes. Even at 60% of the capacity, the only change is that you may have to recharge more often.

When you replace the original battery, carefully remove the old connector. The reason I recommend doing it this way is to avoid creating static discharge into the device when you solder. Snip the black and red wires with as much lead length as possible remaining on the connector. Then solder it to your new battery wires, and reconnect it to the reader (remember the orientation of the wires, although the connector is keyed so you can't insert it upside down).
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
MrWarper
Zealot

The new to old extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
When you replace the original battery, carefully remove the old connector. [...] Snip the black and red wires with as much lead length as possible remaining on the connector. Then solder it to your new battery wires[...]
While that should work just fine, you'll eventually cut the original cables too short, while perfect replacements for the original connector may become impossible to find -- not to mention that the original, very fragile and virtually irreplaceable battery socket can be eventually damaged or --God forbid-- broken off.

We can hugely improve on this with very little effort. Buy some male/female JST 2 pin battery connectors (these are almost literally a dime a dozen and you actually need just one female and as many males as you want, so this should cost a couple bucks, tops). Cut the original battery cables so as much of them as possible remains attached to the original (male) connector, just like in the previous post.

Now,

1. Solder those now free ends to your new female JST connector. You basically get a short battery cable extension that also doubles as a new-to-original battery plug converter. Plug it in the original motherboard battery socket.

2. Get a new battery and solder its cables to one of your new male JST plugs. Plug it into your 'extension' cable and enjoy your reader for a while more.

Repeat 2. until the reader itself wears out, instead of having something bad happen to the original battery socket at some point.