Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #31
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeywilliams25 View Post
But when connected by USB (to a windowsxp machine) the reader was detected, calibre found it but the ebook library would not run (said error).
So calibre runs fine, but the Library crashes?

Did you replace the font in Sony's eBook Library with your new font? The procedure is in Appendix E of the guide. See if that fixes the problem. Be sure to tell us if it does (or doesn't).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:44 AM   #32
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
I hadn't changed the font in the eBook library as I was waiting to see if the font change had worked before doing so.

However I am pretty sure it is not the cause of the problem. Simply connecting the Reader to the usb, then after it has been detected unplugging it again leaves the Reader in a hung state and needs a reset. For some reason the font change is messing up the usb connection (even though it is detected and calibre sees it).

I am using a new UK bought Reader which I had to reflash. Could the UK version be any different?
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #33
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeywilliams25 View Post
I hadn't changed the font in the eBook library as I was waiting to see if the font change had worked before doing so.

However I am pretty sure it is not the cause of the problem. Simply connecting the Reader to the usb, then after it has been detected unplugging it again leaves the Reader in a hung state and needs a reset. For some reason the font change is messing up the usb connection (even though it is detected and calibre sees it).

I am using a new UK bought Reader which I had to reflash. Could the UK version be any different?
As far as we know, the UK version is the same. Not to mention, several UK users have used this guide successfully. So I sincerely doubt that is the problem.

Also, I don't see how changing the fonts on the Reader could mess up the USB connection, it doesn't seem possible. What could be the reason is that Sony's Library is trying to access the Reader the moment you plug it in, and the different fonts are screwing something up. Again, this shouldn't happen as I've connected the Reader to a computer running the Library with original fonts and nothing like this happens.

But to help you, I will need very specific answers, since I still don't know exactly what's going on with your device. Here are some specific questions and instructions:

* Does the Reader work correctly before you connect it to the computer (after you flash it)? Can you see your new font in the books you have already on the device?

1. Follow Appendix E in the guide and replace the font in the Library with your new one. Make a copy of the original font if you care to preserve it. Do this while the Reader is disconnected.

2. Connect the Reader.

3. Can you transfer books from and to the Reader after you plug it in? Does the problem occur only after you unplug it, that is, is everything great until you disconnect it? Try to transfer a new LRF book to the device. Try to open the book from the device with the Library (by going to the drive of the Reader's memory in Windows).

4. Make sure that you use "Safely remove device from computer" option for disconnecting the device. Not using this can hung the Reader (I've seen it happen). Also, make sure the Reader itself is NOT displaying a crossed circle over the USB symbol on the screen. There should only be the symbol and that's it. If you see the crossed-out circle, that means data is being transfered.

Report back here if anything failed. Also, type out exactly and in as much detail as possible everything you did from the moment you connected it to the moment it hung.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Times New Roman has Hebrew support in the upper characters.
But does the Reader support right-to-left languages such as Hebrew? If it doesn't, the user is going to be out of luck.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #35
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast

Okay - i did the following
Used the customiser as per instructions, replacing the tt0011m_ttf font with modded cambria. Transferred files to SD card
Inserted card in reader and chose option 7 and then reflashed the Reader.
Upon booting selected option 5, then 6 then 9
Reader boots up fine. New font is visible. Customisation, clock etc is there, tho the clock has the wrong date.
Books can be read, all seems fine.
Connect to usb.
Drive is recognised and calibre detects the reader - but ebook library will not run (tho it pops up once the Reader is disconnected)

Now I notice that while connected it shows the usb icon but does not have the message at the bottom of the screen saying that is is connected to usb.

Disconnect from the usb and the Reader hangs showing the usb icon screen.
I have to reset and back to normal (until i connect again to usb).

Doh....

I transferred a book using calibre and it is on the reader and can be read.
Advert
Old 09-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #36
Valloric

OK, one more time...

Did you replace the font in the Library? If you haven't, please do so and try it then. The operation is easily reversible if you're worried.

Did you disconnect the Reader by first safely dismounting the drive in windows, that is, NOT by just unplugging the cable? I know it's a very basic thing to ask, but we have to rule out everything.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast

Yes, I did replace the font in the library.

Disconnecting the cable is not the problem - the fact that it doesn't say "USB connected" at the bottom which it does normally, that ebook library doesn't recognize the Reader and that trying to reflash doesn't work until I reset, insert the sd card and do the option 7 routine, these all suggest that the usb connection procedure is somehow being fouled up.

I tried connecting the Reader to my laptop which has no sony software installed at all and although it was recognised as a new drive the Reader again hung when being disconnected. So the dismounting business is not it sorry to say. And it wouldn't explain the imperfect connectivity when it is connected.
All very strange.
One other observation - when choosing the Localization/unicode fonts option it changes all three fonts in the font folder, not just the serif one that i then overwrite. I did try replacing the other two with the original fonts but the effect was the same and it didnt solve the problem.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #38
Valloric

Well, I fail to see how replacing the fonts could screw up USB. I'm sorry, I just can't see that happening. Must be something related to the flashing process, like a bug in the flasher.

And it's not because you bought the Reader in the UK since the firmware is the same AFAIK. Several UK users have used this guide successfully.

One last thing... did you load back in Sony's official firmware between flashings (the procedure is in Appendix D)? You can not flash directly from PRSC firmware to PRSC firmware (I mean you could, but you really shouldn't).
Old 09-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #39
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Question HELP! Default font changed to "sans-serif" after operation....

Hi and HELP!!!

I did the "operation" by the book and it worked fine. In all my LRF-Books (with no embedded fonts) the default serif-font is now the Kindle-Like Caecilia (wich looks just beautiful om screen).

But alas!

In all my TXT and RTF (yes, RTF with "Times New Roman")-Files (which i do not bother to convert) the font changed to sans-serif. Ugh. Inconvenient. Before the update, all texts were shown in the serif-font.

Any ideas how this happened?

Might there be a change in the "default font" in the updated stuff i flashed?

Help highly appreciated!

regards
ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #40
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
In all my TXT and RTF (yes, RTF with "Times New Roman")-Files (which i do not bother to convert) the font changed to sans-serif. Ugh. Inconvenient. Before the update, all texts were shown in the serif-font.
There are two more fonts on the Reader. The guide only replaces the Dutch Roman font. To get the new font on these other filetypes, you will have to replace those two fonts as well. The guide mentions how you can do just that.

Also, make sure your non-LRF files don't have embedded fonts; those will override the ones on the Reader.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #41
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
And it's not because you bought the Reader in the UK since the firmware is the same AFAIK.
Unfortunately, that's not the case

Some UK users are reporting:

Quote:
Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.2.00.18050
When using Igorsk's Universal Flasher. In order to use any of the flashing software at this time you will have to reflash your Reader with the US/Canadian Sony Updater. This may result in the loss of yet to be determined UK/European features. Reflash at your own risk.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #42
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Unfortunately, that's not the case
Really? I stand corrected.

Still... it's not like the hardware of the Reader is any different. Even if they have a different version, if they can get through the flashing process, their Reader (once flashed) should behave the same way as one of ours (after flashing).

Anything different in the original firmware should be overwritten and shouldn't cause problems... right?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #43
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
There are two more fonts on the Reader. The guide only replaces the Dutch Roman font. To get the new font on these other filetypes, you will have to replace those two fonts as well. The guide mentions how you can do just that.

Also, make sure your non-LRF files don't have embedded fonts; those will override the ones on the Reader.
Hi Val,

I think I expessed myself not clear enough:

The problem seems to be, that BEFORE the update, a plain TXT-File was rendered by default with the internal "serif"-Font. Now, AFTER I have changed the (serif)-Font to Caecilia, these (same) txt-files are rendered in "sans serif". I did not change the files nor anything else. It seems to me as if the device now uses the "sans"-font as default. And there are no embedded fonts nor rendering instruction in txt-files.

Could you (or anyone) please check on their (changed) devices, how "plain text"-files are rendered? Just put one on SD-Card and open it.

Thanks in advance!

ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #44
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Really? I stand corrected.

Still... it's not like the hardware of the Reader is any different. Even if they have a different version, if they can get through the flashing process, their Reader (once flashed) should behave the same way as one of ours (after flashing).

Anything different in the original firmware should be overwritten and shouldn't cause problems... right?
Sounds logical to me.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #45
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Sounds logical to me.
Good, we're on the same page.

So, this "new" UK firmware version cannot be mikeywilliams25's problem, because he has flashed the Reader, several times.

It must be something else. I hate to say it mikey, but the only thing that I can come up with that seems both reasonable and likely is that you screwed something up in the process (unintentionally, of course).