Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #1411
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
Thank you so much for the information about the Windows Nook app! I was able to install it on my work computer and it appears to download the books without a hitch. But! I don't know where to find the downloaded files. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be extremely grateful!
Typically, they are stored in "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState"

In Windows Explorer, go to View and check the box for Hidden Items or you won't see the App Data folder.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #1412
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Typically, they are stored in "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState"

In Windows Explorer, go to View and check the box for Hidden Items or you won't see the App Data folder.
There they are! So once I've downloaded them all, I can move them into Dropbox and then import into Calibre from there? Or do they need to remain in this directory for some reason?

Thank you so much for your help!
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #1413
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Nope you can sideload them using Calibre.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #1414
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
There they are! So once I've downloaded them all, I can move them into Dropbox and then import into Calibre from there? Or do they need to remain in this directory for some reason?

Thank you so much for your help!
Yes, you can copy them to Dropbox or a thumb drive or whatever and import them to Calibre at home. They do NOT need to stay in the Nook directory.

You of course need the Alf plug-ins to de-DRM them in Calibre.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #1415
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Yes, you can copy them to Dropbox or a thumb drive or whatever and import them to Calibre at home. They do NOT need to stay in the Nook directory.

You of course need the Alf plug-ins to de-DRM them in Calibre.
Yep, I've got that already. I had downloaded some of them years ago and transferred them to Calibre and then via the plug-in to my Kobo. I thought I had downloaded all of my Nook books back then, because I haven't bought a Nook book in years, but when I looked in Calibre recently only about a third of the 80-some books in my Nook library were there. I must have just downloaded the ones I planned to read right away, thinking I would always be able to go back to B&N and download the others. Lesson learned, for sure!
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #1416
gjohn4317
gjohn4317 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2 32 gb
Re: Marvin 3
Ok, this is so basic I’m embarrassed to ask. I just started using Marvin 3 and love it. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to set bookmarks and see them in an overview or list afterwards. What am I missing? Im using a 2018 iPad running the latest version of iOS 11.

Thanks in advance for ANY help!
gjohn4317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #1417
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohn4317 View Post
Re: Marvin 3
Ok, this is so basic I’m embarrassed to ask. I just started using Marvin 3 and love it. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to set bookmarks and see them in an overview or list afterwards. What am I missing? Im using a 2018 iPad running the latest version of iOS 11.

Thanks in advance for ANY help!
This is a thread about Barnes and Noble and their Nook desktop software. You'll probably have better luck asking your question in the Marvin section.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #1418
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I still need to go back and clean up the Android instructions a bit, but I just installed NOOK for PC on Windows 10 and it worked. They changed my encryption key again, though, so I needed to retrieve the new one.

The prerequisite seems to be having a version of Internet Explorer installed that can use the newer encryption. Recent versions of Windows have it. I don't know where the cutoff is, but I can't get it to work on Windows XP any longer.

If you have a modernish version of Windows and the NOOK software doesn't work, try updating to the latest Internet Explorer that your Windows version will support.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:00 AM   #1419
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I still need to go back and clean up the Android instructions a bit, but I just installed NOOK for PC on Windows 10 and it worked. They changed my encryption key again, though, so I needed to retrieve the new one.

The prerequisite seems to be having a version of Internet Explorer installed that can use the newer encryption. Recent versions of Windows have it. I don't know where the cutoff is, but I can't get it to work on Windows XP any longer.

If you have a modernish version of Windows and the NOOK software doesn't work, try updating to the latest Internet Explorer that your Windows version will support.
Interesting thought, perhaps nook for PC/Study was mainly a wrapper around IE for the communications. Makes sense why some people can log in and others can't.

Of course now it makes little difference to me. I tried to log into B&N today to get the freebie Friday book and it said my password has been invalidated due to inactivity. Now keep in mind I just logged into the account last week, so how they can say I have been inactive is beyond me. AND when I try to create a new password it won't let me. It keeps saying that I don't meet all their password rules, but the link to find out WHAT the rules are don't work.

I have tried longer passwords, special characters, the works it refuses them all.

Someone was talking about glad they didn't get the Nook. The hardware was great, I never had any trouble with that. It is B&N's decisions that have been getting worse and worse. Now I can't even log into my account!

The problem is they are making things so secure these days they no longer work!

Last edited by Dob43; 07-15-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:43 AM   #1420
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Well I finally got Nook for PC working and it was a lot less complex than we thought. It was related to IE but it didn't need a update. All I had to do was go into controlpanel/internet options then in the advanced tab scroll down and enable TLS 1.2 Now why this wasn't enabled with the TLS hot fix that was put out some time ago is anyone's guess. It also proves that Nook for PC is just a fancy GUI wrapper around IE.

It also proves that B&N didn't do anything more than force TLS 1.2 on their servers. The protocol and file transfer system remains the same.

Another interesting tidbit, Nook Study now works as well! I had to use the "close the program while logging in" trick or eventually it gives an error about unable to verify adobe. But when I reopen the program it has logged in and I can download/read all my books! It is werid considering Nook study hasn't worked for me in a LONG time and TLS 1.2 certainly wasn't the issue.

Last edited by Dob43; 07-20-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #1421
SilenceIsGolden
SilenceIsGolden began at the beginning.

Device: Cool Reader on Android
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
As of today 6/29 Nook for PC still working (win 8.1) & was able to future proof a new book.
I just right now, 5 min ago, tried with a new, free book that was not in my library yet. Still works to download via Nook for PC.

I won't log out of my Nook for PC, just to be on the safe side. (Win7, Nook for PC 2.5.6.9575)

Just a thought, though: does anyone know if the free books are somehow different? As in unprotected or something like that?
SilenceIsGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #1422
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsGolden View Post
Just a thought, though: does anyone know if the free books are somehow different? As in unprotected or something like that?
Some books are sold without DRM. You'd have to try opening the epub in the B&N folder before importing it to Calibre. I use Sigil for this, though you could also use Calibre's own reader. If it was sold with DRM, the book won't open.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #1423
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:

The hardest thing about this is remembering where the stuff is stored. I'm going to have to write it down somewhere.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #1424
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The hardest thing about this is remembering where the stuff is stored. I'm going to have to write it down somewhere.
Don't do like me and forget where you put the note you wrote it down on.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #1425
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dob43 View Post
Someone was talking about glad they didn't get the Nook. The hardware was great, I never had any trouble with that. It is B&N's decisions that have been getting worse and worse. Now I can't even log into my account!

The problem is they are making things so secure these days they no longer work!
I've had four Nooks, over the years. I carry my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook everywhere and use it for everything.

But I stopped buying books from B&N when they disabled downloading books from their website. Yes, I can download books to their PC reader, but I can do the same with Amazon or Google Play.

I will not buy a book if I can't control the media file. Baen and the independents have always made this easy. B&N used to be easy, too. When they stopped being easier to download files than their competition there stood being a reason to buy from them instead of their competition.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote