Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #631
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
New version. Unfortunately still not version 2.0, but version 1.27.

There is only one new thing in this version. I got a message from someone who saw some kind of random text appearing in the HTML/ePUB after conversion. After looking at the original document, I quickly found out that it contained hidden text. Upon conversion it became visible and thus the text was different.
So, in this version there is a new option (in the HTML settings) to remove the hidden text before conversion. It will of course not change the source document.

You can find it on my site of course.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #632
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi Toxaris - a suggestion for version 2.x.

Assuming the Search and Replace and Mark Words features will retain the same functionality via a list of rules, add a disable/enable checkbox to each rule.

Occasionally I don't want to apply a specific rule to a specific document. The only way I know of to do that today is to delete the rule, and remember to reinstate it when I'm done with that document. The first bit is easy enough, it's the second bit that's tricky. First I have to remember to do it, secondly I have to remember what the rule was. Yes, I could restore a backup of the rules, but a disable/enable switch would be soooo much easier.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:45 AM   #633
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assume you mean the automatic processing of rules? If you do not enable processing of a specific rule, it will ask you if the rule should be processed or not first. That is process at the moment.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #634
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I assume you mean the automatic processing of rules? If you do not enable processing of a specific rule, it will ask you if the rule should be processed or not first. That is process at the moment.
Yes, for S&R it would only be the automatic rules. I segregate S&R rules into two rule-sets; Auto-rules which I run first, and Manual-rules which I run second. When I set up my S&R rules I found I couldn't cope (mentally) with having them jumbled together, hence the segregation. Works really well for me.

But I'd mainly use in my Mark Word rule sets (of which I have several), which are automatic by definition.

BR
Old 05-06-2018, 02:29 AM   #635
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

On reflection, disable/enable would be useful in manual-rules. If I had 50 manual rules, and I disabled 30 of them then I would reduce my workload significantly - basically I would be saying I don't care about these 30 cases.

BR
Old 05-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #636
Toxaris
Wizard

I will take a look at it, usability (more accurate, ease of use) might be an issue though.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:32 AM   #637
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

In context of current version. I was thinking of an additional (leftmost) column of checkboxes labelled Disable/Enable in S&R and Mark settings. I can't see how that would be any harder to use than the existing columns of check boxes.

Then, when the rule set was applied to a document the Disabled rules would be ignored, i.e. there would be no user interaction for those items, because, virtually, they don't exist

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-09-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:23 AM   #638
Toxaris
Wizard

The harder part is located in the backwards compatibility and some other stuff.

With regards to the S&R, the idea was that it is possible to organize the rules in tables and you can easily ignore a whole table. Like I said, I will take a look at it, but don't expect anything soon though.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:30 AM   #639
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Hi Toxaris

Suddenly the Mark tool has stopped working. I Mark with colour not a tag (more to come on that)

It runs, I see the scroll bar jump around, and it takes about as long as I would expect. After a while I get a popup to say words were marked but nothing is marked, i.e no words are coloured. Word's Text Highlight Colour function is working.

So what changed? Windows - I upgraded from 1709 to 1803 on Sunday. And I think this is the first time I've run the Mark tool since then. Whilst there's nothing in 1803 I really need, I would prefer not to revert to 1709.

I tried to put something (###) in "Mark tag" but it won't persist, i.e. if I exit Mark settings, and then go back into it, Mark tag is blank again. I have Save on exit checked. If I change the colour the new colour persists.

Where is Mark Tag kept - if I could update it manually I could test to see if the Mark tool works with a tag.

Added: I think I found it in ePUBTools.cfg. I changed it to this

Code:
  <ConfigValues>
    <OptionName>MarkTag</OptionName>
    <OptionValue>###<OptionValue>
  </ConfigValues>
Same result, nothing actually marked

Added : I tried reinstalling the add-in - now I can't get the check box in COM Add-in to stick. I've had this before, can't recall how I fixed it - Fixed: uninstall from control panel, rename the Toxaris folder in %APPDATA%, fresh install

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-11-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:35 AM   #640
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

OK - after a complete reinstall of EPUB Tools and Quick Repair of Office (that was just in case), I'm sort of back where I was.

Bottom line: Colour Only marking no longer works.

If I put '###' into <OptionName>Mark Tag in the .cfg file then I get the ### marks and the colours.

This means I have to read through the [###] and [/###] marks. Even if I shorten it to one '#' it's still very distracting - I'm editing content, including punctuation and grammar. It means I'll have to get rid of the pesky things before looking for highlighted words. I can remove the highlights from a page, a section, or a document with a couple of keystroke sequences.

Any suggestions on what to try to get it back the way it was?

FWIW: I've never understood why Mark Tag and Mark Colour are not mutually exclusive- i.e one or the other, why would anyone want both? If truth be told I don't really see why anyone would want Mark Tag at all, given Word has Find and Clear highlight features.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-11-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #641
Toxaris
Wizard

Funny (for me at least), it never occurred to me that someone would use the mark without tags, so I never designed it for that. There is no real reason why it not mutually exclusive. I will look in the code if I can explain this. The Windows release should not have an impact at all.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #642
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Funny (for me at least), it never occurred to me that someone would use the mark without tags, so I never designed it for that. There is no real reason why it not mutually exclusive. I will look in the code if I can explain this. The Windows release should not have an impact at all.
Thank you.

So, the question is - how the heck did I get it to highlight without a tag.

If I had used something like thin space I would have them sprinkled through the text. After I convert to EPUB I always check the Characters report from the calibre editor for any 'unusual' characters, so I would have seen them there.

I didn't really think is was Windows either, but that was the only thing that changed in the days immediately prior to the highlights going awol

It must have been something in the %APPDATA%\Toxaris folder, because renaming it, and doing a fresh install also solved the COM Add-ins checkbox problem - as it has done on previous occasions.

Note: I haven't done anything explicit to settings in months (years even).

If it's possible and simple, and you have the time, perhaps you could create a new version that allows the Mark Tag to be empty.

Added : Just to be clear, I have a workable solution.

I couldn't get a new value for Mark Tag to stick if I entered it in the Settings dialogue; so, I edited the .cfg file manually to set to '###". I've created a trivial macro to replace '[###]' and '[/###]' will null, which I use before I step through the highlighted words.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-11-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added
Old 09-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #643
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I didn't really think is was Windows either, but that was the only thing that changed in the days immediately prior to the highlights going awol

Note: I haven't done anything explicit to settings in months (years even).
I also haven't messed with settings in months/years! Only thing changing is Windows updates! (I'm telling you, gremlins are real! )

A few months back, my Postprocess OCR started getting frozen on the "Set Language" step.

After several PMs to Toxaris (and me comparing a completely fresh install in a VM), I found the solution:

My EPUB Tools > Settings > Postprocess OCR > "Set document language to" somehow magically turned blank. Once I set it to English, everything started working.

Perhaps there is some dastardly setting for Mark Tag that blanked itself out.

Quote:
It must have been something in the %APPDATA%\Toxaris folder, because renaming it, and doing a fresh install also solved the COM Add-ins checkbox problem - as it has done on previous occasions.
Speaking of gremlins, this still also happens to me occasionally. Still no rhyme or reason (sometimes it works for weeks no problems, sometimes it disappears one document only to work perfectly in the next). (Curse you Windows/Office, curse you!)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-11-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #644
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I also haven't messed with settings in months/years! Only thing changing is Windows updates! (I'm telling you, gremlins are real! )
Quote:
<snip>
So what changed? Windows - I upgraded from 1709 to 1803 on Sunday. And I think this is the first time I've run the Mark tool since then.
<snip>
The "I think" was to indicate I was tentative about not using it since the upgrade. But, I also think I might have used it on a document I hadn't quite finished when I did the upgrade. Why would a Windows upgrade tamper with the content of Users\BR\Appdata\Roaming\Toxaris and not the content of the other 40+ adjacent folders, such as Balabolka, Goodsync. Qbittorrent etc.

Actually, something else did change in the same time period - calibre . . .

Quote:
A few months back, my Postprocess OCR started getting frozen on the "Set Language" step.

After several PMs to Toxaris (and me comparing a completely fresh install in a VM), I found the solution:

My EPUB Tools > Settings > Postprocess OCR > "Set document language to" somehow magically turned blank. Once I set it to English, everything started working.

Perhaps there is some dastardly setting for Mark Tag that blanked itself out.
But as far as I'm concerned it had been blank for years I never wanted the tag, all I ever wanted was the highlight. It's just as easy to find a highlighted character, as it is to find a specific string - easier in fact. Somehow I had coerced it into working in a way that Toxaris says shouldn't have worked, but it worked for years the manner I wanted it to work

Quote:
Speaking of gremlins, this still also happens to me occasionally. Still no rhyme or reason (sometimes it works for weeks no problems, sometimes it disappears one document only to work perfectly in the next). (Curse you Windows/Office, curse you!)
- but only for this Add-in. Not had any similar problem with other COM add-ins.

My speculation is that the gremlin puts the ePUBTools.cfg file into a state that causes the add-in initialisation code to error out when its loaded at Word start-up. And its probably the same gremlin that tampered with your OCR Language setting and my Mark Tag setting.

Development of Word Add-ins is a notoriously fickle endeavour - that's probably why there aren't very many of them.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-12-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #645
Toxaris
Wizard

Well, on the good side, I rewrote the complete settings part in the new version and it is much, much stable and resilient. Downside is that this version is not done yet and it will be a while. However, I will look at the old code and see if I can quickly (and correctly) fix it for you.