Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #301
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@radamo: What 'data', exactly, and what does your RUNME look like?

(Also, double-check you haven't bungled the MRPI install, on the off-chance it's something trivial ).
Isn't the MRPI install just extracting the directories (and files) onto the kindle root directory? I deleted and redid just to be sure. I do not have any version of Kual installed... am I supposed to?

The "data" flies by too quickly... screen goes blank and then a few lines of text start from the top and go about 2 inches down on the kindle then goes back to the regular home screen.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #302
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
@7hir7een: Fantastic, thanks for your feedback .

Which KUAL build is that? Because it's missing actual Oasis2 detection (c.f., the K?? in the bottom), which explains why you're not seeing some menu entries.
Wow, sorry. Post-shift brain got me there. I did indeed update everything except KUAL.

And turns out I'm actually having issues doing so. The snapshot install bin resulted in the blank-page KUAL problem, even after uninstalling and reinstalling. The only version I have been able to get to show up is from coplate's thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765

From looking at the runme code they posted and poking around in ssh in Transit after installing your bin, it appear the issue could be that it is not placing KUALBooklet.jar in /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet (the file is absent)

I'm not actually familiar with how to unpack the bin files, or I would move the file there myself.

Quote:
And a bonus question: If you're familiar with my stuff, do the monospace status messages that usually show up on the bottom of the screen actually show up on your KOA2, and are they actually printed at the bottom of the screen, or more somewhere around the middle?
The monospace messages like S checking screensavers. . . and the mrpi installer feedback and kual status printouts do show up and show up at the bottom of the screen. It's been quite some time since I've set up a hacked kindle from scratch, so I can't recall if there are others I should be seeing? But it seems like they're showing up correctly.

EDIT: sorry, I started drafting this before I saw your response!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #303
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@radamo: Huh. I'm guessing that at least *some* part of it runs, then.

Would you be able to record that w/ something (even a cellphone camera would do the job)? That'd allow us to frame-step through it and hopefully figure out where it's falling on its ass .

(Barring that, you can also try to trudge through a ;dumpMessages system log, there's should be some "mr_installer" bits to search for).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #304
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For people coming here from the KUAL thread: the package you want is the one listed under "KUAL (coplate)" in the Snapshots thread. In it, you'll find an update package you'll be able to install via MRPI, and that's it . For all intents & purposes, you can go back to the rest of KUAL's documentation as if you had installed the original Booklet variant of KUAL.

What follows is simply my original answer in the initial flow of the thread .

----

@7hir7een: Totally not your fault, AFAIK, my package is *expected* to fail on some devices/FW combos.

I had forgotten to check if coplate's build included the latest few commits from November, my bad.

So I just backported those in coplate's tree, can you try the KUAL package attached to this post?

Hopefully, it'll work, but that entirely depends on whether coplate's GitHub tree matches his latest binaries from that thread .

Thanks for the confirmation about the messages, that was indeed those I was talking about .

EDIT: And in case there's some mysterious Java shenanigans going on, and that package *also* gets you a disappearing jar (I seriously don't get that bit, )., here's the jar itself to install as described in @coplate's thread (either via RUNME or via @knc1's SSH instructions).

EDIT²: Good news! The manual .jar method install should not be needed!
I'm leaving it up in case wackyness ensues and it one day becomes of use...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Moved packages to the main snapshots post.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #305
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

That worked like a charm! Testing custom fonts now and will report back shortly

ETA: works great

Last edited by 7hir7een; 05-31-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Advert
Old 05-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #306
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@7hir7een: Just to be perfectly clear: did the update package work, or did you need to install the jar manually?
Old 05-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #307
7hir7een
Reader of Books

Quote:
@7hir7een: Just to be perfectly clear: did the update package work, or did you need to install the jar manually?
Installing Update_KUALBooklet_f17051f_install.bin via mrpi worked without any additional steps. I nabbed the bin file before I saw your edit with the jar
Old 05-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #308
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
@radamo: Huh. I'm guessing that at least *some* part of it runs, then.

Would you be able to record that w/ something (even a cellphone camera would do the job)? That'd allow us to frame-step through it and hopefully figure out where it's falling on its ass .

(Barring that, you can also try to trudge through a ;dumpMessages system log, there's should be some "mr_installer" bits to search for).
Here is the video of ;log runme output...
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_3203.zip (891.9 KB, 240 views)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #309
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@7hir7een: Great, thanks! I'll update KUAL's first post to make it slightly less useless then .

@radamo: Okay, then, back to: what RUNME script is this? ^^.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #310
radamo
Addict

Quote:
@7hir7een: Great, thanks! I'll update KUAL's first post to make it slightly less useless then .

@radamo: Okay, then, back to: what RUNME script is this? ^^.
Oh, my bad I never replied to that... I believe it was part of the jailbreak and bridge code. Should I be running something different to load the SS hack from the MRPackages directory? It seemed to load Python?
Old 05-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #311
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@radamo: I'm not exceedingly familiar with the KOA2 JailBreak (ping @knc1), but my old dispatch script used to have a mrpi special-case....

Does ;log mrpi do anything useful?

EDIT: I'm not seeing anything in @knc1's RUNME (at least the version I have) that would *ever* run MRPI, so I'm a bit confused . The good news is that mrpi special-case should still apply.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-31-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #312
radamo
Addict

Quote:
@radamo: I'm not exceedingly familiar with the KOA2 JailBreak (ping @knc1), but my old dispatch script used to have a mrpi special-case....

Does ;log mrpi do anything useful?

EDIT: I'm not seeing anything in @knc1's RUNME (at least the version I have) that would *ever* run MRPI, so I'm a bit confused . The good news is that mrpi special-case should still apply.
Well... it ran an installer which looked like Python? But the SS hack still not active unless there is something else I do to activate it. With Kual this was more straight forward. Sorry for the clueless questions. The SS hack is really my only reason to do the Jailbreak and I have not had much luck researching how to run these tools on the Koa2.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #313
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@radamo: Well, at least if the installer ran, you now have a log for me to look at .
Old 05-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #314
radamo
Addict

Quote:
@radamo: Well, at least if the installer ran, you now have a log for me to look at .
First... thank you for taking so much time to help me.
Second... now rerunning with the SS hack .bin.

SS Hack is INSTALLED!!!! I now see your "splash screen" telling me it is installed. Is there a doc somewhere so I can stop taking up your time? All I am trying to do is display my current book's cover as the screensaver.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #315
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@radamo: The dedicated thread (which is also linked to in the first post of this thread for everything listed there) should cover (ha!) the basics. Reply in there if you're encountering an issue that doesn't appear to be specific to the snapshots package (i.e., anything, really, now that you've got it installed ^^).

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje