Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #256
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
I hope I didn't miss anything, but when I try to:
'kindletool info G090...'
I get 'Unknown device!' (also when using info $(cat /proc/usid) - so it's not user error)

It's a pw3(w) serial, I see that in the list of devices under --devices, so I'm not sure why it doesn't know my kindle.

Any advice? Thank you.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #257
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
I hope I didn't miss anything, but when I try to:
'kindletool info G090...'
I get 'Unknown device!' (also when using info $(cat /proc/usid) - so it's not user error)

It's a pw3(w) serial, I see that in the list of devices under --devices, so I'm not sure why it doesn't know my kindle.

Any advice? Thank you.
Please supply the first six characters of the serial number.
Check the serial number table to see if you have an unlisted device:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Enter:
kindletool
Without any arguments to see the valid options.
Also check the included README file.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #258
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please supply the first six characters of the serial number.
Check the serial number table to see if you have an unlisted device:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Enter:
kindletool
Without any arguments to see the valid options.
Also check the included README file.
G090KB [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.5]
The only compiled builds are 1.6.4 - I will compile it myself
Sorry, and thanks.

---

Ok I built it, and still not luck because the version on github is 1.6.4.97 - there is no 'beta' branch or anything, so, I'm not sure how to get my device password for ssh.

I will have to use ssh keys, but having the password would be good too!

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-20-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #259
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That should be the release versions, try NiLuJe's svn repo.
There should be a "Where are the sources" in the readme document.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #260
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
G090KB [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.5]
The only compiled builds are 1.6.4 - I will compile it myself
Sorry, and thanks.

---

Ok I built it, and still not luck because the version on github is 1.6.4.97 - there is no 'beta' branch or anything, so, I'm not sure how to get my device password for ssh.

I will have to use ssh keys, but having the password would be good too!
Not really, the 'main' system has no passwords and logins disabled for a reason.
Plus, it will get over-written at the next update.

password not required over USB cable - we assume your 4 foot of USB cable is physically secure.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #261
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
That should be the release versions, try NiLuJe's svn repo.
There should be a "Where are the sources" in the readme document.
All those sources are lower than 1.6.5, very strange...

I compiled the latest source on github, I don't think there is much else I can do but wait I guess.

I prefer to log in over wifi, I just think it is easier that way - but due to the fact I have no password, not today!

I'll try to edit/play with the source and get it to output my password
Although if you like say, the password changes at every update, that is no fun.

Quote:
Not really, the 'main' system has no passwords and logins disabled for a reason.
Plus, it will get over-written at the next update.
password not required over USB cable - we assume your 4 foot of USB cable is physically secure.
ok I think I got the password, but yes, maybe I misunderstood... it doesn't let me log in so yeah I guess logins are disabled, I thought usbnet would enable them or something.

(I'll generate the a key... ha)

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-20-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #262
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
All those sources are lower than 1.6.5, very strange...

I compiled the latest source on github, I don't think there is much else I can do but wait I guess.

I prefer to log in over wifi, I just think it is easier that way - but due to the fact I have no password, not today!

I'll try to edit/play with the source and get it to output my password
Although if you like say, the password changes at every update, that is no fun.
Our USBnet package will use the keys you put in its USB storage area when connecting over Wifi.

No need for anything that you are trying to do - your over-thinking the situation.
try looking up my tutorials on ssh (the mobileread way of it that is).

Ah, the versions in SVN are snapshots, not releases.
Since they have not yet been released, the version number has not yet been bump'd (but they do have a commit id).
Old 09-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #263
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
Our USBnet package will use the keys you put in its USB storage area when connecting over Wifi.

No need for anything that you are trying to do - your over-thinking the situation.
try looking up my tutorials on ssh (the mobileread way of it that is).

Ah, the versions in SVN are snapshots, not releases.
Since they have not yet been released, the version number has not yet been bump'd (but they do have a commit id).
I put my ssh key on it, that was no issue - I just wanted to use my password instead, because I might use a different computer etc.

How can I enable the password login? (because from what I understand, you told me password login is disabled.)
If I have misunderstood everything, forgive me - sorry.

So the only person who has 1.6.5 is NiLuJe? Or you are saying for all intents and purposes it is 1.6.5, just it wasn't bumped up yet?
Either way, it is strange because looking in the source code, it seems to accommodate for my serial number, yet from using the app it still said unknown device

I just commented out the check and got my password that way.

Sorry if it seems I'm making a big deal - I'm just curious, not concerned
Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #264
knc1
Going Viral

I do not know - the issue has not come up.

Carry your keys on an encrypted flash drive - that is what they are for - never leave your keys on a computer that might be physically or logically compromised or just plain fail.

The code has been updated, but the version number has not and will not be until they become releases.
And if you look closely, you can find differences in both version numbering (snapshots include the latest commit id included) and the build dates.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:07 AM   #265
DaRk_ViVi
Zombified italian nerd
DaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT, KV
-deleted-
Solved by restarting the Framework, sorry for the useless post.

Last edited by DaRk_ViVi; 10-15-2016 at 05:16 AM.
DaRk_ViVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #266
zxczxc
Addict

Ok, first of all, sorry!
I thought I had it all ok...
My kindle was hacked fine on 5.8.1, I let it update OTA to 5.8.2.1.
Then I manually updated to 5.8.5.
KUAL won't open, my screensavers won't work.

So I put these update bin files in the mrpi package install folder:
rescue pack
jailbreak hotfix
usbnet
linkss
linkfonts

but after
Code:
;log mrpi
- KUAL still won't open.
what did I do wrong or miss out?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #267
knc1
Going Viral

Which PW ? (both PW2 and PW3 can run 5.8.* firmware)
Which KUAL? (the document or the booklet)

Since your posting here, I assume you took your update packages from the first post of this thread.
Correct me if my guess is wrong.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #268
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
Which PW ? (both PW2 and PW3 can run 5.8.* firmware)
Which KUAL? (the document or the booklet)

Since your posting here, I assume you took your update packages from the first post of this thread.
Correct me if my guess is wrong.
yes all the latest versions from the OP.
ooh... wrong area. I meant to post in the jailbreak thread sorry.

PW3, and I used the newer KUAL method, so the booklet.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #269
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
yes all the latest versions from the OP.
ooh... wrong area. I meant to post in the jailbreak thread sorry.

PW3, and I used the newer KUAL method, so the booklet.
The Booklet version posted, and linked to from the JB thread, works well on both my PW-3 and KT-3.
(The KT-3 is running 5.8.5, the PW-3 is not.)

See you in the JB thread, you may have discovered a "corner case" that isn't covered.
And, no offense intended, re-read and re-check your work, step-by-step - it might just "fix itself".

Last edited by knc1; 10-25-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #270
zxczxc
Addict

Quote:
The Booklet version posted, and linked to from the JB thread, works well on both my PW-3 and KT-3.
(The KT-3 is running 5.8.5, the PW-3 is not.)

See you in the JB thread, you may have discovered a "corner case" that isn't covered.
And, no offense intended, re-read and re-check your work, step-by-step - it might just "fix itself".
of course, I will install everything again to make sure no user error!
thanks

(the problem was I had to reinstall the kual booklet bin, I didn't realize we needed that installed again too - at least in my case)

Last edited by zxczxc; 10-25-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje