Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Can you read a whole book on LCD?
Yes, I can read a whole book on LCD without significant discomfort. 78 56.12%
No, I can't read a whole book on LCD without significant discomfort. 61 43.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #166
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I can't see a damn thing on these pictures. But then I have no patience to stare at an image for several minutes. So I'll probably never learn to see them or even if I'd be able to see them.

Oh well. Life's too short anyway.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #167
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I can't see a damn thing on these pictures. But then I have no patience to stare at an image for several minutes. So I'll probably never learn to see them or even if I'd be able to see them.

Oh well. Life's too short anyway.
I've never been able to see the image in one of these (even when I was young). People tell me what I'm supposed to be seeing and it sounds interesting but (like you) I think live is too short to worry over it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #168
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Whose worrying over it? I'm just looking for corrollations. Wondered where those who mentioned LCD glare or non-solid-looking backgrounds fell on the spectrum of could/couldn't see stereograms. Nobody was being assigned homework. If you don't know, you don't know.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #169
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Can see stereograms (i learned to de-focus my eyes when looking at them, takes only seconds), still happily read on LCD screen but with dark background and usually light gold.yellow text.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #170
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
To my eyes, an LCD screen doesn't appear solid. The text does but the white background doesn't. It's hard to describe. It's sort of like the text is floating in front of a light. E-ink does appear solid as long as there is some ambient light. The only time e-ink doesn't appear solid to me is if I use it in a dark room with the ereader's light on. [...]
I used to get this effect with my first e-reader - a Sony with no front light. When reading in good ambient light it was okay, but anything less than good light had the text floating in nothing and my eyes would quickly get tired. (I even experimented with textured page backgrounds, but the screen quality really wasn't up to doing that very effectively.) This was the main reason it did not get used consistently - back then I still did a lot of reading from paper books.

I don't seem to get the effect on LCD screens (except when I think about it, like now ). I can and do spend hours staring at my desktop LCD screens, but I find it is a different sort of staring to letting myself get immersed in a narrative text. My desktop screens are visually very busy. While considering this thread I've wondered if my problem with reading on LCDs is one of association - that I associate LCD with busy interfaces and work and so don't relax into it.

As for stereograms ... sometimes they work for me, sometimes not. Trying to force it I find becomes an exercise in frustration.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #171
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Whose worrying over it? I'm just looking for corrollations. Wondered where those who mentioned LCD glare or non-solid-looking backgrounds fell on the spectrum of could/couldn't see stereograms. Nobody was being assigned homework. If you don't know, you don't know.
I was directing that particular comment to Sirtel (who, like me, can't see these stereograms). I understand why you're bringing this up. I think it's an interesting point. And there might be a correlation between those who can't see these things and those who have more trouble with LCD screens than others.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #172
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah. Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure people didn't think I was expecting them go forth and stare at stereograms for hours on end. I just figured most people would have already encountered them and know whether they could see them or not (and how easily, if yes).
Old 05-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #173
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Not sure what the science is behind those who seem to be able to easily "tune out" glare when looking at a screen, but I'm certainly one of them.
I wish I were! I've thought about getting a matte screen protector for my phone to see if it would help, but the matte protectors I've found online were plastic. I'm very klutzy so I have a tempered glass screen protector because I've heard they are better for preventing damage when the phone is dropped.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #174
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Woh! Calm down or you'll burst something
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #175
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You're cute when you think you're annoying.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #176
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I think there was a series of "Magic Eye Books."

I could never see the pictures and just got awful headaches from them.

People kept asking me to try just one more time, two more times, three more times, so I would call them "Magic Headache Books."

I also get headaches from lcd screens. Not from e-ink screens unless they're lit, or they're flickering, or I'm trying to read very small text on them.

Last edited by MarjaE; 05-13-2021 at 03:56 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #177
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I think there was a series of "Magic Eye Books."

I could never see the pictures and just got awful headaches from the accursed things, so I would call them "Magic Headache Books."
I cannot do those magic eyes pictures as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #178
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just had one of my co-workers send me a link to a story on Vice. See How the Personal Computer Broke the Human Body for the story. The "tired eyes" leadin sounded rather familiar.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:36 PM   #179
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I have no trouble reading comics on my Surface or an Android tablet, so I likely could read a book on an LCD screen.

But the thing is, I never looked into reading ebooks until I saw an e-ink device. The first time I saw a tablet, I knew it would be nice to read comics on it. But never thought of using it for books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #180
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My main reading device is my Surface Pro and for me, it is comfortable to read on. I can also run the full version of Calibre and have my library on the same device I read on.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote