Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
USB Not Recognized

Yesterday I went to sideload a book with Calibre. Connecting the USB cable, it wasn't visible (the cable to the reader or the reader to my PC)... the battery charge symbol didn't even come on.

I tried a second cable and just plugging in to a wall charger. Also no luck.

Anyone see this before? I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but I figured I'd ask before I do a factory reset to clear any data before it dies for good.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Did you try a Device Shutdown? Otherwise a hard reset. I've had Sonys come back from both. Never had to try a Factory reset.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Yesterday I went to sideload a book with Calibre. Connecting the USB cable, it wasn't visible (the cable to the reader or the reader to my PC)... the battery charge symbol didn't even come on.

I tried a second cable and just plugging in to a wall charger. Also no luck.

Anyone see this before? I'm pretty sure I'm screwed, but I figured I'd ask before I do a factory reset to clear any data before it dies for good.
If you haven't used it for a while it may take a while for it to "wake up". At least that's been the case with kindles; I've left my old kindle dead for months (years?) and when I plugged it into a charger it took some time before the recharging light came on. I don't know how long; I just walked away and left it until the next day whereupon it was happily sucking up the juice.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Did you try a Device Shutdown? Otherwise a hard reset. I've had Sonys come back from both. Never had to try a Factory reset.
By hard reset, do you mean poking it with a paperclip or something else?

@hobnail - Nope. Been using the reader. Still have about 3/4 charge on it.

Last edited by DoctorM; 08-14-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the reset button you poke with the paperclip.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:12 AM   #6
DoctorM
Groupie

Tried that. Also did the factory reset with the button combo on boot up. No luck.
Crap. Time to research some Kobos.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

I like the Kobos with the buttons. Once my last Sony dies, that's what I'll go for, either the Forma or the Libre.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
DoctorM
Groupie

I still have a bricked PRS-T1 which I have one more cunning plan to recover. If that fails, it's time to move on.
I didn't even think about buttons vs touch-only screens. Yeah. I think I'd miss the buttons.
Do you know if any of the discontinued Kobos are worth getting from eBay? I'm kind of spoiled since I original got three T1's off of ebay for under $25 each.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

I've bought a lot of my Sonys from shopgoodwill.com. I do buy stuff from Ebay too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from there as long as you research the seller.

The only Kobo I have is the mini which is touchscreen. I don't get along well with touchscreens which is why I want buttons to turn the page.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:59 AM   #10
DoctorM
Groupie

I tried doing a recovery from an SD card with no luck. I suppose it might be possible to resolder the USB port, but it feels a bit more than I want to try. Of course what do I have to lose.
In the mean time, I just bought a PRS-T2 for $30 shipped on ebay.