Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #31
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,212
Karma: 16534894
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
In earlier firmware versions my self produced dutch-german dictionary was working perfectly. But now the Kobo Reader doesn't recognize it anymore. The filename is dicthtml-nl-de.zip.
Has anyone an idea what the problem is?
Since firmware 4.8.xxxxx it is no longer sufficient to simply copy your custom dictionaries into the .kobo\dict directory. Now you will also need to make sure there is an entry for each dictionary in your Kobo SQLite database .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite.

In your case, both Dutch and German are already Kobo-supported languages so there isn't a lot extra you will need to do, but you will need to find and use an SQLite editor utility. I use the free SQLiteSpy on Windows 10, but there are others.

Whichever utility you choose you will need to find the appropriate way to open the database file, then run an SQL command to update the Dictionary table. It should look something like this:
Code:
INSERT INTO "Dictionary" VALUES('-nl-de','Nederlands - Deutsch','true',nnnnnn,'','true');
but replace nnnnnn with the exact size (in bytes) of your dicthtml-nl-de.zip file.

ETA:
  • I'm not sure, but you may need to do a full power recycle after doing the database update.
  • If you're not familiar using SQL you may want to take a copy of the database to practice on.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-26-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #32
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate
 
Posts: 120
Karma: 33696
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Germany
Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Since firmware 4.8.xxxxx it is no longer sufficient to simply copy your custom dictionaries into the .kobo\dict directory. Now you will also need to make sure there is an entry for each dictionary in your Kobo SQLite database .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite.

In your case, both Dutch and German are already Kobo-supported languages so there isn't a lot extra you will need to do, but you will need to find and use an SQLite editor utility. I use the free SQLiteSpy on Windows 10, but there are others.

Whichever utility you choose you will need to find the appropriate way to open the database file, then run an SQL command to update the Dictionary table. It should look something like this:
Code:
INSERT INTO "Dictionary" VALUES('-nl-de','Nederlands - Deutsch','true',nnnnnn,'','true');
but replace nnnnnn with the exact size (in bytes) of your dicthtml-nl-de.zip file.

ETA:
  • I'm not sure, but you may need to do a full power recycle after doing the database update.
  • If you're not familiar using SQL you may want to take a copy of the database to practice on.
Thanks a lot!!! I found the article where it is described!

I got it working!
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #33
jkalin12345
Member
jkalin12345 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2019
Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Hello guys....

I converted with Penelope -en-sl dictionary for Bookeen and for Kobo (different output types).....I did exactly as you described on my Kobo Aura ONE and I can see my dictionary but it does not respond me a any result. I am 100% that word should be in dictionary.....when I select word pop-up is displayed, I can choose English-Slovenian (as I name it in SQL lite).but then I always see "Manage dictionaries" button ...and now content..........can somebody please help me out?

Thank you very much
jkalin12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #34
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,212
Karma: 16534894
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@jkalin12345,
The problem may be due to the fact that Slovenian is not one of Kobo's currently supported languages. So you may need to install it as an "extra" dictionary. This means carefully following every step in the article linked in the post immediately above yours. Don't skip anything and make sure you name it correctly, both as a filename and in the Kobo database.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #35
Blowfin
Junior Member
Blowfin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello,
I'm trying to add a specific french dictionary (Littré, file can be found here). I changed its name to "dicthtml-li.zip" (because I want to keep the default one as well), copied it into my dict folder and added a row in my dictionary table:
Code:
rowid 68 Suffix -li Name Littré Installed true Size 41632856 LastModified NULL IsSynced true
The device recognize it properly, however when I try to select it in the menu, "English" (also installed) is picked instead. What did I do wrong?
Blowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #36
Blowfin
Junior Member
Blowfin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: Kobo Clara HD
I tried two more things:
-Uninstall "English": Same problem, "English" is picked even when not present anymore.
-Replace the default French dictionary by the new one (without changing its name ofc): It seems to be working but the name of the default dictionary (Micro Robert) is still displayed after a definition.
Blowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,212
Karma: 16534894
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfin View Post
Hello,
I'm trying to add a specific french dictionary (Littré, file can be found here). I changed its name to "dicthtml-li.zip" (because I want to keep the default one as well), copied it into my dict folder and added a row in my dictionary table:
Code:
rowid 68 Suffix -li Name Littré Installed true Size 41632856 LastModified NULL IsSynced true
The device recognize it properly, however when I try to select it in the menu, "English" (also installed) is picked instead. What did I do wrong?
The problem is that Kobo does not know what language -li is.

If you may want to add several custom dictionaries then follow all instructions in the link at the bottom of post #32 to add them as "Extra" dictionaries.

However, if this is the only custom dictionary you want to add then it's probably simpler to:
  1. Rename dicthtml-li.zip to dicthtml-fr-fr.zip
  2. Edit the Suffix & Name fields of the -li entry you already added to the Kobo database's Dictionary table:
    Code:
    Suffix: -fr-fr
    Name: Français - Français (Littré)
    You can change the red bit to anything you want.
  3. Do a full power off/on

Your new custom dictionary should then appear in the drop-down list as Français - Français (Littré)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #38
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 873
Karma: 252902
Join Date: Jun 2016
Device: Kobo
Maybe it would be easier to just add to Kobo eReader.conf
Code:
ExtraLocales=li
?
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,212
Karma: 16534894
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Maybe it would be easier to just add to Kobo eReader.conf
Code:
ExtraLocales=li
?
Yes, but doesn't that force the user into installing it as an "Extra" dictionary and using the kobopatch system when they may not want to go quite that far?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #40
Blowfin
Junior Member
Blowfin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The problem is that Kobo does not know what language -li is.

If you may want to add several custom dictionaries then follow all instructions in the link at the bottom of post #32 to add them as "Extra" dictionaries.

However, if this is the only custom dictionary you want to add then it's probably simpler to:
  1. Rename dicthtml-li.zip to dicthtml-fr-fr.zip
  2. Edit the Suffix & Name fields of the -li entry you already added to the Kobo database's Dictionary table:
    Code:
    Suffix: -fr-fr
    Name: Français - Français (Littré)
    You can change the red bit to anything you want.
  3. Do a full power off/on

Your new custom dictionary should then appear in the drop-down list as Français - Français (Littré)
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried this but now selecting this dictionary picks "Français - English".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Maybe it would be easier to just add to Kobo eReader.conf
Code:
ExtraLocales=li
?
I will try that, in which section should I add this?
Blowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #41
Blowfin
Junior Member
Blowfin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfin View Post
I will try that, in which section should I add this?
Nevermind, I've read the link of post#32 and followed the complete procedure. The patches were applied successfully (I changed some other stuff) but the problem is still the same.
Blowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #42
Blowfin
Junior Member
Blowfin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Also, Maybe it has something to do with it: Since I started to modify files on the Reader I get messages from Windows telling that there is a problem on the drive and checking/repairing every time I plug it in.
Blowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #43
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,212
Karma: 16534894
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfin View Post
Nevermind, I've read the link of post#32 and followed the complete procedure. The patches were applied successfully (I changed some other stuff) but the problem is still the same.
I downloaded the dictionary from your link in post #35. It works as I would expect when installed as an "extra" dictionary named dicthtml-li.zip. It should also work for you if you've followed all surquizu's step-by-step correctly.

This is the SQL I used to insert the extra entry in the Dictionary table.
Code:
INSERT INTO "Dictionary" VALUES('-li','Extra:_li (Littré)','true',41632856,'','true');
It's important that the red part of the Name column matches the above.



I also tried my own suggestion from post #37 of installing it as a -fr-fr dictionary. I see what you mean about it selecting the "Français - English" dictionary instead when you try to use it.

After a bit of experimentation I could get it to work but only after I uninstalled the dicthtml-fr-en.zip dictionary - so not a satisfactory solution.
The trick I suggested does work OK as a simple method for installing a second "English" dictionary as "English - English". I must remember not to suggest it to anyone in future for any language other than English. Live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfin View Post
Also, Maybe it has something to do with it: Since I started to modify files on the Reader I get messages from Windows telling that there is a problem on the drive and checking/repairing every time I plug it in.
I get this all the time on my ClaraHD and Forma (but none of the other Kobos). I don't think it has anything to do with your dictionary problem.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #44
Blowfin
Junior Member
Blowfin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's important that the red part of the Name column matches the above.

Obviously. This was a crucial step (written in red) in the guide and I didn't read it because I'm an idiot. Anyway it's working perfectly right now, thanks to you.
Merci beaucoup !

Last edited by Blowfin; 11-06-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Blowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:40 AM   #45
jkalin12345
Member
jkalin12345 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2019
Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Hello

I wanted to install English-Slovenian dictionary on Kobo Clara (prepared by me using Penelope tool) but it does not work on Kobo with our language whatever I do. I read this post 10 times already

At the end I did the simplest solution: I removed downloaded Portuguese dictionary (in my case dicthtml-en-pt.zip), and replaced the Slovenian (renaming my ZIP ending with pt suffix. So now if I translate word with English-Portugues dictionary, I get Slovenian translation.

Stupid but it works for me

I found the only problem that if dictionaries are updated by WIFI, I get lost it :/
jkalin12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dictionaries, kobo, languages

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kobo dictionaries without books ? Rojofo Kobo Reader 2 04-21-2015 04:57 PM
Update kobo's dictionaries akorx Kobo Reader 3 09-28-2014 09:12 AM
Adding Foreign Language Dictionaries Alymon Amazon Kindle 16 08-05-2014 01:44 PM
PRS-T2 Adding new dictionaries chemi Sony Reader 2 01-02-2013 10:24 AM
PRS-T1 ADDING DICTIONARIES ?? BooksBooks Sony Reader Dev Corner 11 08-17-2012 02:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.