Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Question Anyone else's new Kindle 3 rattling when moved / shaken?

It sounds like there's some kind of loose tiny plastic piece rolling around on the inside of my new K3. If I rock it back and forth I can hear the piece rattling around in there, and it sounds like it has a lot of space to roll.

Does anybody else notice this with their K3? I just want to know if it's only mine. Btw it's definitely not the sound of the buttons on the bottom of the device shaking, because although I know they make a small sound when the device is moved, this rattling sound that I'm talking about is much louder, and it is very evident that something is loose and rolling around inside the device.

Besides that I'm loving the new Kindle, except for the fact that it crashes so many times. . .
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
mine does not do that, Mine has crashed one.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
It sounds like there's some kind of loose tiny plastic piece rolling around on the inside of my new K3. If I rock it back and forth I can hear the piece rattling around in there, and it sounds like it has a lot of space to roll.

Does anybody else notice this with their K3? I just want to know if it's only mine. Btw it's definitely not the sound of the buttons on the bottom of the device shaking, because although I know they make a small sound when the device is moved, this rattling sound that I'm talking about is much louder, and it is very evident that something is loose and rolling around inside the device.

Besides that I'm loving the new Kindle, except for the fact that it crashes so many times. . .
Oh dear it sounds faulty - both the fact that it is rattling and the constant crashing too. My kindle 2 has crashed just once in almost a year so somethings not right I would contact Amazon regarding a replacement.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
No rattling here. Sounds like a defective unit.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Yes mine does that. At the moment whatever it is seems to have found a resting place but there is something definetly lose inside that rolls around. I noticed it the first day after maybe the 4th or 5th time picking it up during the day.

My kindle hasn't crashed but at one point when I was typing the s key kept typing until I moved the kindle and whatever is inside rolled away.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
BlooOfKingu
BlooOfKingu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
same here. something was rolling around inside for the first few hours of use, but seems to have stopped now.

no crashes, however.
BlooOfKingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Thanks alot for the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one, but also it sounds like it's not everybody. Also, for the record, I definitely haven't dropped it or rough-handled it... You know how it goes - we treat it like a delicate piece of art for the first few weeks or so, before we start getting less careful with it!

I am very surprised that not everybody has the crashes. I always just assumed it was firmware bugs. Mine is so bad that I can never open the web browser, but I've seen that problem elsewhere on this forum. Yesterday it restarted just from me highlighting something. The worst part is that whenever it randomly restarts, somehow it forgets where I was in the book, and then I have to skip forward a bunch of pages until I find my spot again.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
I'd contact Amazon for a free replacement.

Which makes me wonder, I wonder just HOW many replacements they're keeping on hand just for this scenario.... one of them could be shipping to my house right meow instead of mid September!
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
judith009
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 01Hawk View Post
I'd contact Amazon for a free replacement.

Which makes me wonder, I wonder just HOW many replacements they're keeping on hand just for this scenario.... one of them could be shipping to my house right meow instead of mid September!
That was a good point. I doubt they would make people with defective units wait until mid-Sept for the replacement, but you never know. I'm glad mine is still mostly functional, so if I decide to replace it I'd probably wait for a couple of weeks anyway. Before I had gotten it, I was very excited about the web-browser feature, and the fact that the browser won't even open is a big bummer. Maybe they'll have some kind of a firmware update for that, though.

Another point, and I don't know if it matters, is that I pre-ordered the Kindle within a couple of hours of the announcement. I wonder if the others who have rattling Kindles also were one of the first to place orders...
Old 08-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Lupa
Lupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I maybe wrong (never owned a Kindle) but some accelerometer's can make a rattle, does the screen change to landscape automatically? I would not like to risk it though if I had mine, although you could be waiting to get a replacement.

Edited: After checking and reading judith009 next post I was wrong, I must have thought the K3 would have one due to the Kindle DX having one.

Last edited by Lupa; 09-04-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: I was wrong, Thanks judith009
Lupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
judith009
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupa View Post
I maybe wrong (never owned a Kindle) but some accelerometer's can make a rattle, does the screen change to landscape automatically? I would not like to risk it though if I had mine, although you could be waiting to get a replacement.
The Kindle 3 doesn't have an accelerometer. Either way, the amount of movement that the loose piece makes shows that it's obviously a defect.

Amazon has the best customer support. Even if I wanted to exchange it now, if they didn't have a replacement unit until mid-September, they would let me keep this Kindle until they get their replacements in, so I wouldn't ever be without a Kindle. I just wish other stores were as friendly as Amazon! Amazon would probably even ship the replacement with expedited shipping.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
... I am very surprised that not everybody has the crashes. I always just assumed it was firmware bugs. Mine is so bad that I can never open the web browser, but I've seen that problem elsewhere on this forum. Yesterday it restarted just from me highlighting something. The worst part is that whenever it randomly restarts, somehow it forgets where I was in the book, and then I have to skip forward a bunch of pages until I find my spot again.
Sounds like a bug, but you might read this report:

http://blogkindle.com/2010/08/kindle...iew-follow-up/

They seem to feel one crashing issue involves the Kindle's "text indexing":

"Some users reported problems with browser or apps. Kindle software would occasionally crash. It is generally believed that it’s caused by background indexing process running alongside browser. Whenever new book, text file or document is downloaded to Kindle, it is indexed to provide almost instantaneous search results. This process is resource intensive and may conflict with web-browser or word game applications that are available for Kindle."

They go on to say that indexing a large number of books, like the 100's many new users download or sideload day one, can take a very long time (several hours).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
judith009
Groupie

Thanks for the info and the link. I only have about 15 books, and some of them very small, so I'd be surprised if the numerous crashes that I've had over 3 days (I've had the K3 since Thursday) is due to the indexing. It was a good point, though.

I'm just hoping that Amazon rolls out firmware updates quickly. I have a feeling that they're at least much faster than Apple in regards to fixing bugs. If I find that most others don't have this problem of crashing, then I'll probably exchange the unit in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
jough
jough began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 2, iPad, iPhone
Mine is making that rattling sound too. I requested a refund and received an email back saying that I'd have to call to get a replacement after going through troubleshooting with the CSR.

Sounds like a defect if mine's not the only one. Everything seems to work despite the rattle, although the web browser does crash a lot (I should say, I've never been able to get a web page to load in it).
jough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
blackbow
blackbow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Yep, mine is doing that too; sounds like a tiny screw loose inside the keyboard area. I called support today, and they're sending me a replacement via FedEx. Keeping my fingers crossed that the second one has no problems.
blackbow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose, rattling