Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle dx
Please give a writer harder to put down than Dan Brown

I know, I know, he is crap, everybody with a taste says.
His characters are flat. His language is bland. His world view is shallow. His plot is absurd. He is greatly flawed.

But he has an absolute power to absorb you from the very beginning to the very end, even in his weakest opus like "Deception Point".

I read all genres of thrillers, from Tom Clancy, through Kathy Reichs, to John Grisham. Every one of them has some shining points, but you will feel bored most of the time. No one has the talent of Dan Brown to catch you tight in every page.

So I believe there are two factions of writers. One faction includes Dan Brown alone. The other faction has all the other writers.

I am not paranoid. I am not a die hard fan of Dan Brown. I just want some books I cannot put down. I just find this humble request harder and harder to fulfil.

Now, my learned fellow readers, educate me, correct me, please! Add someone I don't know to the Dan Brown faction I mentioned above. I'd be overjoyed if I knew he was not alone.

Thank you.

Last edited by frui; 09-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'd suggest Thomas Harris of 'Silence of the Lambs' fame.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To paraphrase someone I forget: Dan Brown is not an author whose books should be casually laid aside; they should be thrown with great force.

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Thank you, Sparrow! That's a quick and close hit, but I don't think it's deadly enough.

I like 'Silence of the Lambs' very much, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'd suggest Thomas Harris of 'Silence of the Lambs' fame.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
I know, I know, he is crap, everybody with a taste says.
His characters are flat. His language is bland. His world view is shallow. His plot is absurd. He is greatly flawed.

But he has an absolute power to absorb you from the very beginning to the very end, even in his weakest opus like "Deception Point".

I read all genres of thrillers, from Tom Clancy, through Kathy Reichs, to John Grisham. Every one of them has some shining points, but you will feel bored most of the time. No one has the talent of Dan Brown to catch you tight in every page.

So I believe there are two factions of writers. One faction includes Dan Brown alone. The other faction has all the other writers.

I am not paranoid. I am not a die hard fan of Dan Brown. I just want some books I cannot put down. I just find this humble request harder and harder to fulfil.

Now, my learned fellow readers, educate me, correct me, please! Add someone I don't know to the Dan Brown faction I mentioned above. I'd be overjoyed if I knew he was not alone.

Thanks you.
There are plenty of good writers out there who can write the pants off Dan Brown. Even mentioning his name makes me nauseous. He's the H1N1 of literature. He's the English Language equivalent of the colour beige. He writes with the comprehension of a twelve year old, and a not a particularly bright twelve year old at that. He's a McDonald's Happy Meal (and you're just as ironically unhappy after you've consumed his plastic-tasting McLiterature). He's the Alpha and Omega of crap. He's the pinnacle of a reading culture that treasures the mundane, the stupid and the downright inane. He's the failure of the modern publishing industry personified. He has become the destroyer of worlds.

This is a sentence written by Dan Brown:

The famous man looked at the red cup.

The next time someone says to me "But we need the publishing industry to filter out the crap, to make sure we have quality. Books aren't just released without editing and proofreading, don't you know?"

Well, the next time I hear someone say that, all I'm going to say is:

DAN BROWN.

And that will be answer enough.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
frui
Connoisseur

Hi, Moejoe!

Curiously, what's wrong with the sentence "The famous man looked at the red cup."

I have very little sense of the English language, since I am Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
There are plenty of good writers out there who can write the pants off Dan Brown. Even mentioning his name makes me nauseous. He's the H1N1 of literature. He's the English Language equivalent of the colour beige. He writes with the comprehension of a twelve year old, and a not a particularly bright twelve year old at that. He's a McDonald's Happy Meal (and you're just as ironically unhappy after you've consumed his plastic-tasting McLiterature). He's the Alpha and Omega of crap. He's the pinnacle of a reading culture that treasures the mundane, the stupid and the downright inane. He's the failure of the modern publishing industry personified. He has become the destroyer of worlds.

This is a sentence written by Dan Brown:

The famous man looked at the red cup.

The next time someone says to me "But we need the publishing industry to filter out the crap, to make sure we have quality. Books aren't just released without editing and proofreading, don't you know?"

DAN BROWN.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
As someone who is half way through 'The Turn of the Screw'; I would just like to say that Dan Brown is a better writer than Henry James (imho).

This is HJ in full flow:
"It produced in me, this figure, in the clear twilight, I remember, two
distinct gasps of emotion, which were, sharply, the shock of my first
and that of my second surprise. My second was a violent perception of
the mistake of my first: the man who met my eyes was not the person
I had precipitately supposed."

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-03-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
frui
Connoisseur

And I agree with you that he is no literary giant. He is nothing compared with James Joyce and Steinbeck. But he can give us fun, simple and straigh. Don't you think that's also a manifestation of talent?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom

On the first page, in the first paragraph, the main character has a chance encounter with the man that murdered his father back when he was a child... and the story just gets more and more exciting from there!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

DAN BROWN.

And I'm called an elitist?

Quote:
And I agree with you that he is no literary giant. He is nothing compared with James Joyce and Steinbeck. But he can give us fun, simple and straigh. Don't you think that's also a manifestation of talent?
I think people's problem with Brown (me among them) is that he is lacking in the aesthetic/intellectual aspects of writing.

A good book should be 1) interesting enough to compel the reader to continue reading, 2) plainly enough written that the reader understands, and ideally 3) elegantly/cleverly enough phrased so as to provide what I would describe as "a literary experience"... a sort of "delight at clever words and lovely and pleasantly varied expressions".

It seems to me Dan Brown delivers well enough in 1) and 2), and is widely despised for neither being good nor giving a damn about 3).

I'm sometimes told "EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN PREFERENCES". Maybe there's something to it, even when it's not about disliking PDF.

- Ahi

Last edited by ahi; 09-03-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
W. E. B. Griffin is an author who's books are hard to put down. And they are good too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
frui
Connoisseur

Thank you ahi, I will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
The Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom

On the first page, in the first paragraph, the main character has a chance encounter with the man that murdered his father back when he was a child... and the story just gets more and more exciting from there!

- Ahi
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
lihaoren
lihaoren began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE DX
Stephen King? lol.....水区群众前来围观
lihaoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lihaoren View Post
Stephen King? lol.....水区群众前来围观
是否有本书的英文或中文翻译水区群众前来围观

... sorry. I mean English or Hungarian.

Last edited by ahi; 09-03-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
frui
Connoisseur

I like page turners, but I hate James Patterson.
I am not seeking class and taste in thrillers, but I hate all-round rip off.
I think it's not without a reason Mr Dan Brown took 6 years to write "The Lost Symbol".
He is a serious guy in that. He is a professional. He has respect for fine craftmanship.

Last edited by frui; 09-03-2009 at 09:53 AM.