Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
A story of computers

A computer story

WARNING : Some pictures in B&W, old fashion in clothes, early SMS messages and a whopping 8kb ram on a PC ......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
A computer story

WARNING : Some pictures in B&W, old fashion in clothes, early SMS messages and a whopping 8kb ram on a PC ......
Blimey that is pretty cool. I refuse to admitt how much of that I remember though lol
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
Blimey that is pretty cool. I refuse to admitt how much of that I remember though lol

me too .... surprised no card-readers were shown ...
Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
A computer story

Cool Really enjoyed that, and it had some great music on it too.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It looks like the old NASA sets from "I Dream of Jeannie." Oh wait, sorry, I meant to say, "It looks like current computers at NASA."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
We still have one of those IBM down the basement..............(did I ever mention my husband was a pack rat) now hes a Mac man...umm 2 huge desk tops and a new macbook pro. Good thing I got my reader before he goes off on another binge.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I took a course in Fortran back in 1972 and, as part of that, the school took us to the 3M plant in Baltimore where they manufactured big main frames. One of the stops on the tour was this huge open bay room filled with literally hundreds of women who were sewing.

They would take a frame (about the size of a playing card) and thread a needle with wire and run it through the frame and a small iron core in the middle. Then they'd run another wire through and finally a third.

This was one bit. The first wire put the charge on, the second read the charge and the third replicated it so you wouldn't lose memory reading it.

And they'd stack these up to make a hundred bits or a thousand bits depending on how powerful the machine was meant to be.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
A computer story

My first computer, an Atari 400, had 4K of RAM, then I piggey backed the chips and hand wired the address lines and blew it out to 16K.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
They would take a frame (about the size of a playing card) and thread a needle with wire and run it through the frame and a small iron core in the middle. Then they'd run another wire through and finally a third.
That's core memory, named for the tiny ferrite (donut-shaped) cores. When I was in the Air Force, the F-106 fighters that I worked on had core memory and a large magnetic drum as part of the flight computer. The flight computer was probably the most modern part of the aircraft. The circuit boards were chock full of TTL chips. The first F-106 rolled off the assembly line in 1957. BTW, if you lookup F-106 on Wikipedia, some of that information is wrong.

I actually have a large card of core memory that a friend gave me many years ago. I had it mounted in a silver frame, with a reflective backing behind the core memory. Most people just think it is a piece of modern art.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My first computer, an Atari 400, had 4K of RAM, then I piggey backed the chips and hand wired the address lines and blew it out to 16K.
Mine was a TRS-80 with 4kb memory and all capitals. I don't think it even had a floppy drive. This was around 1980.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
GeoffC

my first memory was a school trip in 1970 to the local council who had a computer but all I can remember was a printer churning out accounts !
in 1973 an electronics course introduced me to fortran computing, punchcards and no-access allowed into the rooms where the computer was!!!
programs were written on input sheets, handed in where they were punched out and run. failures were returned, after a week, with instructions to hand print replacement cards, then another week would go by.

my wife had a greater nightmare where she inadvertantly ran a program at work that went into a loop and totally spent the departments monthly budget of top-priority time on the first of the month. in those days the computers were set ups as TSO (time sharing)..

ah .... memories ....
Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I actually have a large card of core memory that a friend gave me many years ago. I had it mounted in a silver frame, with a reflective backing behind the core memory. Most people just think it is a piece of modern art.
Can you post a picture of that? It'd bring back memories.

Also, when I was in college, the only computer on the campus was this honking huge mainframe in Administration they used for registration and to schedule classes. But, my senior year, they installed a mainframe in the Life Sciences building and began courses in Computer Science.

Anyway, some of the guys in my fraternity took the course. And one night they told us they had programmed the computer to play (are you ready for this?) Tic Tac Toe. You talk about a dorm full of astonished nerds. We could not believe it.

So we walked over to Life Sciences and they stopped the computer which was batch processing (remember that?) and ran their program. Once it was set up, one of the guys entered an 'X' which was displayed on this 12 inch black and white screen. And the computer immediately entered an 'O'. The whole room gasped. I thought I was seeing the ultimate in machines.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote