Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Amazon excepting SNAP???

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...ggW?li=BBnb7Kz
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you perhaps mean "accepting" rather than "excepting"? The two words have virtually opposite meanings.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you perhaps mean "accepting" rather than "excepting"? The two words have virtually opposite meanings.
That was my thought too HarryT. It's interesting how people can use the wrong word that sounds right. I read a story not long ago where the author had a character saying, "I hope you don't think I'm conceded." Of course the word they meant was 'conceited'
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Rude Rude Rude! Sheesh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:20 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not rude at all, Katie. When your title completely contradicts what the article appears to say, it's entirely reasonable to ask for clarification.

You do understand that the word "except" means the complete opposite to "accept", don't you? "Accept" means that something can be used; "except" means that it can't be used.

Eg, "We accept credit cards, except American Express".

Which was it that you intended to say?

Last edited by HarryT; 06-07-2017 at 05:12 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is ridiculous. Does Amazon think people who get SNAP can afford Prime even at $6+tax a month!?!

Walmart is a B&M store that has some of the lowest prices on food. People shop there because of that.

All you can get on SNAP is food items and seeds for edible plants. What do they hope to achieve?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This is ridiculous. Does Amazon think people who get SNAP can afford Prime even at $6+tax a month!?!

Walmart is a B&M store that has some of the lowest prices on food. People shop there because of that.

All you can get on SNAP is food items and seeds for edible plants. What do they hope to achieve?

Sent from my XT1528
Quick answer, yes.
I am sure many shoppers on Amazon get SNAP. Oh and there is no tax on most food items if you use SNAP even in states that tax food.

I see more SNAP users at our local neighborhood grocery stores than I do at Walmart.
They don't worry about the prices.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Quick answer, yes.
I am sure many shoppers on Amazon get SNAP. Oh and there is no tax on most food items if you use SNAP even in states that tax food.

I see more SNAP users at our local neighborhood grocery stores than I do at Walmart.
They don't worry about the prices.
Did you even read the article? This is for a prime membership discount. No one I know who gets SNAP could afford it. They are struggling as it is to think they could draw them from Walmart is ridiculous.

How would you see these people? The SNAP card is discreet looks like a credit card? I know there are a few states who still use the booklets but I don't think Texas is one of them. I am curious how you reach your conclusion.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 06-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you even read the article? This is for a prime membership discount. No one I know who gets SNAP could afford it. They are struggling as it is to think they could draw them from Walmart is ridiculous.

How would you see these people? The SNAP card is discreet looks like a credit card? I know there are a few states who still use the booklets but I don't think Texas is one of them. I am curious how you reach your conclusion.

Sent from my XT1528
It is fairly easy to spot. They usually have 2 cards or 3. Or card and cash more common.
Oh and WIC is really easy to spot because it has to be separated.

I agree with you on the struggling part for most. I would still bet there is a certain percentage that does use Amazon. It may only be 10 or 20%, but when you consider the number of people on SNAP that 10-20% is a lot of people.

As to what Amazon is trying to accomplish, stealing customers from Walmart.
Same as always.
Oh and we could talk about this all day. I think our views might be slightly different just from our life experiences.
Not just SNAP but all of it.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

Sent from my XT1528
Just read the article. So they aren't actually accepting SNAP but anyone getting government assistance can get cheaper prime.

In that case, I sort of change my mind. If they were already buying stuff at Amazon, then that is a heck of a deal.
My estimate may be a little low.

Oh and we could still talk all day and while we would agree on 75% of the people, I think we would see things differently on the other 25%.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Use Amazon for what? That's the big question. They are trying to lure them away to buy things and that's not going to happen.

Do you know two people with no dependents in order to qualify for SNAP can't make more than 1700 a month. Yep. It does varies they take you rent, electric and heating into account before they hand you a cut off amount.

If you have no kids you have to work 80 hours a month tofor eligibility. Max SNAP benefit is around $360 for two but again it takes​ your budget into account.

Now try to live on that and have funds left over for Amazon and fun things.

People with Kids...well kids are expensive. I don't know how they do it.

They don't go into the toilet paper aisle at Walmart and buy Charmin or Cottonelle unless you got a really good coupon. No you buy the cheap prison paper that cost $1 for four rolls. See what I mean?

Amazon's prices are ridiculous for home goods. No one sane using SNAP is going to buy from them home goods when they can go to Walmart, Dollar Tree or Dollar General so selling a prime membership to entice them is just ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 06-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Just read the article. So they aren't actually accepting SNAP but anyone getting government assistance can get cheaper prime.

In that case, I sort of change my mind. If they were already buying stuff at Amazon, then that is a heck of a deal.
My estimate may be a little low.
No it's not. It close to the price we use to pay for prime. Years ago Prime was $79 a year. It's not a real deal just marketing targeting poor people to spend money they shouldn't. It's pure greed involved.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 06-07-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Prime seems to be a luxury, not a necessity--for anyone. I don't understand why people who are having financial challenges would sign up for Prime, even at the slightly reduced price.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

Amazon's prices are ridiculous for home goods. No one sane using SNAP is going to buy from them home goods when they can go to Walmart, Dollar Tree or Dollar General so selling a prime membership to entice them is just ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1528
I agree with this completely. No one sane.

Now as to the what, cheap videos. Assorted other stuff. Not just home goods.
Netflix and Hulu are more expensive. And those kidlets must have entertainment.

Yes, you are smart about SNAP, but my point is NOT everyone is.

Let's say 10 million people get SNAP, (I am probably way low), even if only 10% take advantage (get taken advantage of) of this offer, that is still a million people.
Wouldn't you like $6 million a month? (Rhetorical). Or even 1% would be $600,000 a month.

I also agree with you on the greed.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #15
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Prime seems to be a luxury, not a necessity--for anyone. I don't understand why people who are having financial challenges would sign up for Prime, even at the slightly reduced price.
If they are replacing a $50/month cable bill with a $79/year prime streaming bill, it could make a lot of sense.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote