Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Where are purchased books stored on Nook?

Where are purchased books stored on Nook?

I don't see any file, hidden or not, corresponding to a purchased book when I connect it to my computer and browse through the files of my Nook's internal and external memory.

thanks
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Books bought from B&N and downloaded directly to the Nook can't be seen AFAIK (hopefully someone more Nook savvy will answer for sure) as they are stored on a separate partition which is hidden. You can download a copy of the book from the B&N website if you're wanting one for backup purposes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
AnemicOak is right, you cant see them on the Nook.
To backup a purchased book, download it to your PC via the Nook for PC app. Then go to the folder named 'My Barnes & Noble eBooks' in your My Documents folder and the book will be in there. You can then import that ebook file into Calibre or save it where ever you like.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
AnemicOak is right, you cant see them on the Nook.
To backup a purchased book, download it to your PC via the Nook for PC app. Then go to the folder named 'My Barnes & Noble eBooks' in your My Documents folder and the book will be in there. You can then import that ebook file into Calibre or save it where ever you like.
Thank you
Yes, I would like to back it up in my computer's Calibre library.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Use Calibre to send all the books from your device to your pc then simply load them into Calibre. That's the easiest way. If you click on Device when your Nook is connected you can select one or all your books and then select Send to Disc. Calibre asks you where you want them stored then saves them there for you.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Use Calibre to send all the books from your device to your pc then simply load them into Calibre. That's the easiest way. If you click on Device when your Nook is connected you can select one or all your books and then select Send to Disc. Calibre asks you where you want them stored then saves them there for you.
Ah, the problem being it is on a hidden partition that neither you nor calibre can get at.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Ah, the problem being it is on a hidden partition that neither you nor calibre can get at.
I never knew that, sorry. I just assumed Calibre would see all books in the device. One more reason never to buy a Nook ereader.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I have a Nook e-reader. I love it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I'll second that! Despite B&N attempts to hamstring this device I adore my Nook ST Glowlight.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
I'll second that! Despite B&N attempts to hamstring this device I adore my Nook ST Glowlight.
To each his own. You obviously have different priorities than I or Josieb1, who would prefer to be able to access the book files ourselves.

Look, for the majority of casual readers who don't ever sideload anything, this issue would never even come up, and they will certainly be happy.

Of course the only platform that actually allows you to do WHATEVER you want with your ebooks is not Kindle OR B&N, it is calibre...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I actually side load all my books to my Nook, I just really like my reader. the majority of my books have been purchased from other suppliers. I avoid B&N for books as in the Uk we can't download from the uk site and I like to download and save my books (esp after experiences with BoB, Fictionwise etc).
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I've tried to find out as well. My Nook HD+ is rooted and I can see most everything on my Nook but I still haven't had any luck locating where my purchased titles are stored. The easiest way that I have found to backup my ebooks is to install the Nook for PC application. Once I download my books to that, it's an easy step to pull them into Calibre and do what I want with them.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
Yes, the Nook hardware is good, but I really dislike its EPUB renderer; when are they going to support EPUB3 and make a better renderer?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
Yes, the Nook hardware is good, but I really dislike its EPUB renderer; when are they going to support EPUB3 and make a better renderer?
Like most (all?) ePub devices Nook uses Adobe's software for ereader devices.
So this probably depends on Adobe's future development of their software.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Your best bet with the Nook is to download the book from your library online, remove the DRM and then put it into your Calibre library.

Inability to access the files is a problem for both Kindle and Nook. Can't download my magazines, so I cancelled the subscriptions and let the companies know why I cancelled. I want to be able to print out my recipe and cook from that, not mess up my ereader. I can get an e-version of my quilting magazine which they provide for exactly that reason.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, file access, file location, purchase, purchasing