Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
tivatranquio
tivatranquio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question Backup reading stats and annotations

Today my Kobo Touch decided by himself that was time for restoring.
I was reading when the evil "restoring" screen appear. I have all the books in calibre, so that's not the problem.
The main problem for me are the annotations and the reading stats.

I like to know which book I read and which I did not, and I really enjoy to highlight my favorite sentences is the books.

I had no backups of the kobo database, so I think I've lost the reading stats. Now I checked (better later than never) and I discovered that with the plugin "Kobo Utilities" is possible to backup the database regularly.
Is that the main way to save all the informations? Which informations are saved precisely?

And what about the "fetch annotation" tool? Is his function saving annotations from the device to the comment in the ebook stored in calibre?

I guess so because I realized that in some ebook in calibre I have now the annotations in the comment.

How can I restore these annotations back in the device, so when I'm reading I'm seeing the highlighted content?

Sorry form my English and thanks in advance.
tivatranquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivatranquio View Post
Today my Kobo Touch decided by himself that was time for restoring.
I was reading when the evil "restoring" screen appear. I have all the books in calibre, so that's not the problem.
Ouch.
Quote:
The main problem for me are the annotations and the reading stats.

I like to know which book I read and which I did not, and I really enjoy to highlight my favorite sentences is the books.

I had no backups of the kobo database, so I think I've lost the reading stats. Now I checked (better later than never) and I discovered that with the plugin "Kobo Utilities" is possible to backup the database regularly.
Is that the main way to save all the informations? Which informations are saved precisely?
As well as backing up the database, the plugin also has a function to retrieve and store the reading status of the books on the device in the calibre library. The plugin can restore the status to the device after a factory reset.
Quote:
And what about the "fetch annotation" tool? Is his function saving annotations from the device to the comment in the ebook stored in calibre?

I guess so because I realized that in some ebook in calibre I have now the annotations in the comment.

How can I restore these annotations back in the device, so when I'm reading I'm seeing the highlighted content?
Annotations are harder. There are several ways to retrieve them from the device, but no way to restore them. The ways to retrieve them are:

- calibre fetch annotations. This fetches all the annotations to the comments field of the books.
- Annotations plugin. Fetches the annotations to a user defined field. Can be customised.
- The utilities plugin can display them for a selected book, but it isn't very good.
- There has been a couple of apps or scripts posted here.

At the moment, the only way to save and restore the annotations would be to backup the database and either restore it, or extract the annotations and add them directly to the new database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
tivatranquio
tivatranquio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As well as backing up the database, the plugin also has a function to retrieve and store the reading status of the books on the device in the calibre library. The plugin can restore the status to the device after a factory reset.

At the moment, the only way to save and restore the annotations would be to backup the database and either restore it, or extract the annotations and add them directly to the new database.
Thanks! Clear!
I will be prepared for the next time the kobo will decide to screw me over
tivatranquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivatranquio View Post
Thanks! Clear!
I will be prepared for the next time the kobo will decide to screw me over
Hmmm... "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, fetch, highlighting, restore, stats