Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
white-k
white-k began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Where buy a stylus for the Sony PRS-T3?

I was about to buy the PRS-T3 as my first ereader but discovered it does not come with a stylus!

I don't like the thick clumsy stylus-pens with the semi-sphere tips they sell on ebay.

So... Where can one buy a stylus for the PRS-T3?
white-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My T1 came with plastic stylus with 1/8 inch diameter plastic tip.
I bought packet of cheap water color brushes with plastic handle. 10 for $5. Cut handle to 2 inch long. Can use handle or brush end as each works equally well. I like the brush end.

Soft handle end of interdetal brush as shown at this link and sold at local drug stores make good stylus. Link is only to show what I am talking about not a recommendation of product.
http://www.dentacareusa.com/products...ntal-products/

With practice finger works as good as any stylus except maybe when using on screen keyboard.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I use the ultimate in low tech - a Q Tip.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
white-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I use the ultimate in low tech - a Q Tip.
Do you mean with the soft tip still there, or does it work with the soft tip removed?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:20 AM   #5
white-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
My T1 came with plastic stylus with 1/8 inch diameter plastic tip.
I bought packet of cheap water color brushes with plastic handle. 10 for $5. Cut handle to 2 inch long. Can use handle or brush end as each works equally well. I like the brush end.

Soft handle end of interdetal brush as shown at this link and sold at local drug stores make good stylus. Link is only to show what I am talking about not a recommendation of product.
http://www.dentacareusa.com/products...ntal-products/

With practice finger works as good as any stylus except maybe when using on screen keyboard.
So based on your reply, am I correct to assume that ANY piece of plastic works as a stylus for the T3? And that the stylus is just a piece of molded plastic?
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony stylus is just plastic that interrupt IR light crossing a little above the screen. Kobo readers tap screen close to side turns page I can turn page by almost touching screen. Kobo Aura has capacitance touch screen but Kobo Aura HD and all other Kobo eink readers have IR touch screens. All Sony T series eink readers have IR touch screens.

Last edited by filmo; 02-25-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
white-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Sony stylus is just plastic that interrupt IR light crossing a little above the screen. Kobo readers tap screen close to side turns page I can turn page by almost touching screen. Kobo Aura has capacitance touch screen but Kobo Aura HD and all other Kobo eink readers have IR touch screens. All Sony T series eink readers have IR touch screens.
Oh I see.
The stylus function is/was one of the main reasons for me to consider the T2/T3. But if
But does this mean I could as well buy a 'Kobo Aura HD' and just pull the cotton of a Q-tip, and use the stem as a stylus, and it wold be working as well as the stylus for the T2?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
This here is what I keep handy - of course, not a stylus, but I have cats and the brush part comes in handy like nobody's business.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard

Too small diameter does not register as a touch. Must be large enough diameter to block IR light beam to register touch and should not scratch or other wise damage screen. Better if it can also be used for another purpose.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-k View Post
Do you mean with the soft tip still there, or does it work with the soft tip removed?
I take most of of the cotton wool off, but find it very hard to take it all off.

I haven't had any problem with using Q Tips except that it's easy to lose one. Then I just get another one out of the box they came in.

Last edited by AlexBell; 02-26-2014 at 12:43 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 AM   #11
white-k

Thanks for the tips guys! :-)
Do you think the Sony ereader screens more sensitive/responsive to styluses (or mock up styluses) than other manufacturers' ereader screens like for example the Kobo Aura HD?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-k View Post
I was about to buy the PRS-T3 as my first ereader but discovered it does not come with a stylus!

I don't like the thick clumsy stylus-pens with the semi-sphere tips they sell on ebay.

So... Where can one buy a stylus for the PRS-T3?
well I have an authentic PRS-T2 stylus & I'd say it is thicker & clumsier than the ebay ones ( which look like replica of the old x50 series stylii )

so you are not missing much by not having one like that bundled!

Actually, the "wrong" end of an ordinary pencil works fine !

the main hassle with the T-series , compared with the x50s, is not so much the lack of a decent stylus but the lack of anywhere to slot one onto the device so that you don't lose it.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
If you want something nice in your hand, you can always pick a pen you like and replace the ink barrel with a stylus refill. Stylus Central used to carry a variety back when PDAs were popular, and I bet there are IR refills out there to be had. I've used my old Axim Sensa stylus on my Readers. The tip gives very precise control.

But honestly I use that brush/rubber tipped cleaner tool more often. Because Cats.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
filmo
Wizard

Early eink readers had less white screens and lower contrast than todays eink screens. IR touch screens were used because they didn't lower contrast and degrade readability of page.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #15
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Take a quarter inch round dowel or a length of quarter inch square wood. I found 3 and 4 foot lengths of poplar at a hardware store. Cut to convenient length and insert into a pencil sharpener. The square ones won't roll away!. A very sharp wooden end may be IR transparent. In that case, dip the end into black paint. When the tip wears down just sharpen it again (and maybe paint it). When it gets too short, just cut another one. The soft wood will not mark the screen.

I also made a stylus from an aluminum tent peg. One end was somewhat pointed. I cut it to the length I wanted and then ground the tip so it was spherical and would not scratch the screen. Works very well and will probably last longer than me.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote