Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
A Little Problem

Have had the T2 for about a week now - upgraded from a PRS 650

I have 5 pages of collections (400 books)

Whenever I try to open a collection on the 5th page I get an error:

'Content browser has stopped unexpectantly'

Force Close?

I have updated to the new firmware.

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
wings99
wings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T2
Hi, not the same problem as such however when I power mine on, I get the error that the application ContentService has stopped unexpectedly, & to force close. It doesn't affect the reading of books & I can access everything that I want to. I haven't done the firmware upgrade, I was going to as I thought that might fix it. Maybe I won't.
I haven't tried either soft or hard reset, won't do that until it becomes a problem but I'm not really powering it off/on for it to annoy me.
Have you tried reloading your books?
wings99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I have a T2 with the firmware upgrade.

I have the same problem with 9250 files and 24 pages of Collections. So far, nothing really happens other than I give it a few minutes before 'Force Closing', then going about my business. Doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while.

I think that something is timing out while waiting for indexing, but catches up if you give it a minute or so.

It's annoying, but hasn't seemed to affect anything. (So Far)
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I have a T2 with the firmware upgrade.

I have the same problem with 9250 files and 24 pages of Collections. So far, nothing really happens other than I give it a few minutes before 'Force Closing', then going about my business. Doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while.

I think that something is timing out while waiting for indexing, but catches up if you give it a minute or so.

It's annoying, but hasn't seemed to affect anything. (So Far)
9250 files!!! WHY?????

Even if you read one book a day seven days a week 52 weeks a year it will still take you over 25 years to get through that lot.

I really can't understand why people keep so many books on their devices. It is so easy to transfer books to-and-from a reader so why not just have a dozen or so and add more when needed, removing the ones you have read.

Problem with reader instantly solved.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
400 books is not a lot unless all on T2 memory. To have more responsive collections and Books in library tun off setting show covers for books and library. Covers will stil be shown on home screen.

Just another form of hording that gives people feeling of security and power. Gutenberg has over 40,000 books to put on your reader. Go for it. Hand someone your reader and tell them didn't know you could lift 9,000 books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
T1 wasn't that stable on the early firmwares either might be just a case of waiting for them
to fix issues, as always with sony it seems they are good at hardware but terrible at software.

Might be worth trying to cut down on the collections or adding the books in stages.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
9250 files!!! WHY?????

Even if you read one book a day seven days a week 52 weeks a year it will still take you over 25 years to get through that lot.

I really can't understand why people keep so many books on their devices. It is so easy to transfer books to-and-from a reader so why not just have a dozen or so and add more when needed, removing the ones you have read.

I can't answer for DuskyRose of course but I have 2601 books in mine. But the reason I have so many is the whole reason I have a reader in the first place... I want all the books/fanfictions/personal documents I love in one place. I might be in the mood for something lighthearted and funny now, but if I'm away from my computer and want something dark and gritty I want access, not to have to wait until I can get to my computer.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
wings99
wings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
T1 wasn't that stable on the early firmwares either might be just a case of waiting for them
to fix issues, as always with sony it seems they are good at hardware but terrible at software.

Might be worth trying to cut down on the collections or adding the books in stages.
thanks, I've decided not to do the update at this stage, will just wait I think.
wings99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
9250 files!!! WHY?????

Seriously, why in the world would you assume that you not only know when, how and where I read, but what size the files are? They could be one-page poems, or a collection of 200 word drabbles. Why would you assume how long it takes me to read anything?

And for storage and recovery purposes, what's the difference between putting a collection on an ereader for safekeeping, and on a USB drive? If I have to evacuate, (which, sadly, happens a lot in bad weather across the US.) I may only have time to grab my cat, stuff him into a carrier (if I'm lucky) and grab my purse and maybe my eReader that's near me all the time. Computer and any other storage drives left far behind. While I do backup off site, what's the harm in another back up?

At least I have that option. An acquaintance of mine had her house burn down. Lost untold hundreds of physical books. She didn't get enough isurance to replace most of them.

Plus, why not? If an eReader advertises that it can use a 32Gig Micro SD card, how would I know it had a file/sorting/index limitation unless I tested it? I find it more than a bit misleading to advertise that they can take such huge cards, but can't handle a fraction of what those cards hold.

And since I routinely keep my whole library on my tablet, with no problems at all, why wouldn't I try it with an eReader that leds me to believe it can handle it?

And 9,000 is nowhere near my full library. Not even close. That's just what I backed the Sony T1 and T2's down to.

So, the question really is, "Why not?"

Last edited by DuskyRose; 09-06-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Can't type, can't spell, normal day for me...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
9250 files!!! WHY?????

I'm starting to like that way better with my reader. I use calibre as my refueling station.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I used to let Calibre sync all my books, but then I started having the "indexing" problem with my DX and having to manually turn indexing off. Now I just load my "To Read" list and leave the rest on my Macbook and desktop. I pretty much have my Macbook with me at all times so if for some reason I need another book (maybe to illustrate something to someone) I still can.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
9250 files!!! WHY?????

Answer is very simple... we want a pocket library NOT a pocket book... I don't want to choose what I feel like reading before I go anywhere, I want to choose my reading when I'm ready to read... and I have 25K items on my Sony with no problems at all but I also choose to stick with dedicated eReaders (505, 600, 650) all using PRS+ and at one books a day that would take me 68.5 years to go but you're assuming everything is some huge standard book length... I've got lots of short stories and books and read multiples in a day so it's not going to take that long... and I'm not too worried about reading everything I have, I just grab anything that I might enjoy reading, doesn't mean I have to read it but does give me the choice... I'm also planning on taking my eReader(s) with me...

If you want this sort of storage on a T1/2 then I guess you need to Root it and use a third party reader that will access the card as files/folders directly...

Last edited by elcreative; 09-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If you want this sort of storage on a T1/2 then I guess you need to Root it and use a third party reader that will access the card as files/folders directly...
I check back once in a while, but don't think PRS+ has done anything yet for the T1.

I wish they would! I loved it on my 650, but my son took that Sony with him when he left. I still have hopes someone will do something like that, but the hacks for the T1 I've seen so far didn't have anything to change the file system. Not that I caught, anyway.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Same problem here, please update urgently to solve the issue
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
Same problem here, please update urgently to solve the issue
Considering this issue has been there since... well, since the first SONY readers, I would not hold my breath.

It's not that I don't think it being a legitimate complaint. While I don't see the need for so many books on a device, it is one of the main advertising points. But it has never worked - every SONY device has fallen apart once you try to load 1000+ books. Or, at least, slowed to a crawl.

Try annotating, if you really want to get pissed. A couple of hundred notes kill my PRS950.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote