Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Cell Phone Telemarketing is Coming to the US

UPDATE: It seems like this may have been a hoax that PalmOne has passed on to us in its Treo newletter. According to About.com, it's an urban legend, as indicated by Pitcher23. I'm sure we'll get this sorted out in time, and determine whether or not the info is legitimate.

If you are like me, it may have just seemed natural that telemarketing calls don't come on your cell phone. But that's a convenience in the U.S. that seems to be short-lived.

According to a Palm Treo Newsletter from PalmOne, "[font=verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Very soon, cell phone numbers will begin being released to telemarketers. To help avoid those annoying and potentially expensive calls (yes, you will be charged for them) be sure to register your Treo smartphone number with the National Do Not Call list. Just call 888.382.1222 from your smartphone to protect your number for the next five years. Or register at their website: https://www.donotcall.gov/[/font]"

I'm on the Do Not Call list for my home phone number, and I can attest to the fact that it helps. But there are so many exemptions that I certainly am not free from sales calls. To be getting a telemarketing call that I also have to pay for is really not something I look forward to.

Some people are starting to fight back. For example, at AntiCall, where they ask people to call the telemarketers and provide numbers to do it hoping it will waster their dollars on long distance charges. Just symbolic, but reflects the growing frustration.

No doubt we will see two trends as a result...
1) People will become extremely rude toward telemarketers
2) No one is going to answer their cell phone unless caller id shows it's someone they want to talk with.

Spam, telemarketers, slogs, popups, viruses, trojans, ... where does it all end?!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
So you need to opt out in order to not be molested by telemarketers? ;( Here in Switzerland it's the way around: you need to specifically AGREE before they can ring you up. And I think this is the only right way to go.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Business before pleasure!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Are you sure this isn't just a recycling of a hoax that was around months ago?

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._directory.htm
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
1) People will become extremely rude toward telemarketers
Already do this. It was quite amazing (and pleasant) to find that most places stop calling when you are extremely rude to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
2) No one is going to answer their cell phone unless caller id shows it's someone they want to talk with.
Do that too. I've rarely turned off the answering machine in over 6 months. The only time is when I get a really persistent telemarketer or beggar and I'm in a really bad mood (the better to be extremely rude to them).
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
2cents
2cents began at the beginning.

Device: portable
It seems real bizzare that you would get charged for telemarketing calls. In the UK there are no such charges and at the moment a telemarketing call on a cell phone is very rare.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I would hope the official DO Not Call list here in the USA would suffice for this situation as well
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have already had several telemarketing calls on my cell phone. Since I use the number for business (it is printed on my card) I often receive calls from people I do not know so the thought of answering only when I know the caller ID is impossible.

Even though it was an urban legend, I still put my cell number (as well as the home number) on the do not call list many years ago. Funny how that does not stop some groups. ("Hello, I'm calling for "Soap Opera Digest" ....)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Even though it was an urban legend, I still put my cell number (as well as the home number) on the do not call list many years ago. Funny how that does not stop some groups. ("Hello, I'm calling for "Soap Opera Digest" ....)
There's alot of ways around that. If you have a "previous" relationship with them is the biggest one. People call on "behalf of Citibank" (for example) even though they aren't citibank... they pay for their list and charge there service to the CC which is why the credit card company is happy to lease your phone number to them.

Also, surveys, charities, etc can call. Also, people offering you something for a "free trial" which you have to pay for the next month unless you cancel it... etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I get plenty of political calls to my cell phone
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote