Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My Reading List (help me sort, add good reads, apparently Dystopian/Sci Fi)

I've got a new Nook Simple Touch and a monster reading list. Of course it is as much fun to find and sort my "to read" list as it is to actually read the books.

If you'd be so inclined as to help me sort what I should read next, I'd like to sort my "to read" pile into something like a schedule.

Recently Read (in the last year)
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • Ender's Game (and 2nd in saga, Children of the Mind)
Currently Reading
  • Xenocide (3rd book of Ender Sage, the last I'm going to read)
  • The Name of the Wind (at chapter 5)
  • Lone Survivor (mostly picking up on audiobook while driving)
To Read
  • A Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire Series)
  • Dune (should I read more of the series or just the first book?)
  • New Spring (+2 of Wheel of Time series, I was told the first three only)
  • Anthem (Rand, I loved Atlas Shrugged)
  • The Fountainhead (Rand, I loved Atlas Shrugged)
  • Brave New World
  • Patriot: surviving the coming collapse
  • One Second After
  • Catch-22
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • A Princess of Mars (Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars series)
  • Harry Potter Series
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
So the question is...Am I missing something gleaming from what appear to be sci-fi dystopian novels and what order would you place on my "to read" list? Also, what shouldn't I bother reading in terms of series?
nook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
1. Harry Potter series. Done.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool i had to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook2 View Post
I've got a new Nook Simple Touch and a monster reading list. Of course it is as much fun to find and sort my "to read" list as it is to actually read the books.

If you'd be so inclined as to help me sort what I should read next, I'd like to sort my "to read" pile into something like a schedule.

Recently Read (in the last year)
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • Ender's Game (and 2nd in saga, Children of the Mind)
Currently Reading
  • Xenocide (3rd book of Ender Sage, the last I'm going to read)
  • The Name of the Wind (at chapter 5)
  • Lone Survivor (mostly picking up on audiobook while driving)
To Read
  • Brave New World
  • One Second After
  • Catch-22
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Harry Potter Series
So the question is...Am I missing something gleaming from what appear to be sci-fi dystopian novels and what order would you place on my "to read" list? Also, what shouldn't I bother reading in terms of series?
the dresden files by jim butcher
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
One Second After is a monumentally depressing novel. i'm a 33 year old man with a heart of stone but it almost had me in tears.

dystopian...hmmmm...

The Road by Cormac Mccarthy

Earth Abides by George Stewart.

those might be more post-apocalyptic than dystopian but they're good reads.

1984 by George Orwell is a must for dystopian fans, as is Farenheit 451.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
nook2
nook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enoughnook2 will become famous soon enough

Oh yes. 1984 is one of my favorites. I've read it many years ago.

No uplifting hope in the end of One Second After? If it's all doom and gloom than I can leave it.

To Read
  • Fahrenheit 451, R. Bradbury
  • Brave New World
  • One Second After* (maybe cutting)
  • The Road by Cormac Mccarthy
  • Earth Abides by George Stewart
  • Catch-22
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Harry Potter Series
New Suggestions
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (not sure Wizard P.I. is my cup of tea, but thanks for the suggestion)
  • The Road by Cormac Mccarthy (looks good, Post Apocalyptic fits dystophian I think)
  • Earth Abides by George Stewart (okay probably make it into the list ahead of mars series)
  • Fahrenheit 451, R. Bradbury (ahhh, a classic I haven't read)

Last edited by nook2; 09-23-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
nook2

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
1. Harry Potter series. Done.
I could probably move it up the list but scrapping everything else is not likely.

I have an eight year old son who will eventually like to read these. I just want to get through the whole series before he asks to start to make sure of what he's getting into.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool sigh...

Quote:
...So the question is...Am I missing something gleaming from what appear to be sci-fi dystopian novels and what order would you place on my "to read" list? Also, what shouldn't I bother reading in terms of series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
the dresden files by jim butcher
sorry, missed the whole point, (dystopian, and order to read my list). my only excuse is invalid so i won't make that excuse. oh well
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
nook2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
sorry, missed the whole point, (dystopian, and order to read my list). my only excuse is invalid so i won't make that excuse. oh well
Actually, it was enlightening. I never heard of the Dresden Files before your post and now I've noticed two mentions of it on Facebook from friends that I would have otherwise glazed over and I also read a thread about the series on this site.

Perhaps someday I will look them up.

So, thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

you're welcome

Quote:
Actually, it was enlightening. I never heard of the Dresden Files before your post and now I've noticed two mentions of it on Facebook from friends that I would have otherwise glazed over and I also read a thread about the series on this site.

Perhaps someday I will look them up.

So, thank you for the suggestion.
you're welcome
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I could probably move it up the list but scrapping everything else is not likely.

I have an eight year old son who will eventually like to read these. I just want to get through the whole series before he asks to start to make sure of what he's getting into.
Wasn't tying to suggest you scrap everything else. Just that you should start them next as they are great.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
foghat
Evangelist

Since you are currently reading The Name of the Wind, you had might as well throw The Wise Man's Fear onto your to read list - assuming you want to continue with the series.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
nook2

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Since you are currently reading The Name of the Wind, you had might as well throw The Wise Man's Fear onto your to read list - assuming you want to continue with the series.
Nice. didn't know the 2nd book was out.
thanks
Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #13
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
If you like the Burroughs "Mars" series, you will almost certainly enjoy Leigh Brackett's works of that type. She was consciously inspired by the works of Burroughs and was a better writer. A good volume to start with the Fantasy Masterworks volume: Sea Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories. It contains some of her best writing and there isn't a weak work among the twelve stories and short novels included.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:

No uplifting hope in the end of One Second After? If it's all doom and gloom than I can leave it.

To Read
  • Brave New World
  • Catch-22
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Harry Potter Series
New Suggestions
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (not sure Wizard P.I. is my cup of tea, but thanks for the suggestion)
  • The Road by Cormac Mccarthy (looks good, Post Apocalyptic fits dystophian I think)
  • Earth Abides by George Stewart (okay probably make it into the list ahead of mars series)
oh one second after has hope in it when all is said and done, its the journey thats the tough part. its not a completely bleak and hopeless novel but it is a pretty realistic depiction of what would happen in the event of a massive disaster.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool dystopian

Quote:

To Read
  • Brave New World
  • Catch-22
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Harry Potter Series
New Suggestions
logan's run, william f. Nolan and george clayton johnson
the time machine, h.g. wells
the running man, stephen king as richard bachman
lord of the flies, william golding
cat's cradle, kurt vonnegut

Tags
dystopian, recommendation, sci fi