Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #226
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
On a related note: Lately, maybe within the last two weeks or so, Walmart is starting to include Vudu digital movie cards similiar to the planned ebook cards. Have not looked too closely if the new cards can be exchanged for a credit. They are starting to train people in buying digital goods with physical cards. Plus we got now more self checkout terminals and handheld scanners to shop. Soon the only cashiers are going to be the customers.
I saw that last night. I thought it was new, but then I don't go into Walmart all that much – so I wasn't sure.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 AM   #227
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It was honest confusion, and color can be confusing.

Besides, there is overlap in cones response to light of various colors. But it turns out that red and green have a lot of overlap, not green and blue.

Anyway, I just did a search on green light interfering with sleep, and it turns out that green light was the control for the original Harvard study. So, even if green light interferes with sleep, it is much less than blue light.
This depends heavily on the exact green spectrum your LED technology uses. The developer of f.lux, who's spent years studying the impact of light on sleep, discusses that here:

https://justgetflux.com/news/2018/02/16/OLED.html

Re: the iPhone X, for instance (compared to the iPhone 6):
Quote:
The new OLED screen has a high-powered green color, and both blue and green move into the “melanopic” region of the spectrum that tells your body it’s daytime...OLED screens make more saturated greens by moving the green primary from 540nm over to about 524nm, which may sound like a small change, but the shape of that green also gets narrower, and so a lot more of it winds up in the range that affects melanopsin, more of it than did before.
(“melanopsin” is basically the tendency of light to impact sleep)

Combined with the brighter/larger screen, the net effect is that the modern iPhone emits more sleep-impacting light than older iPads did. But there are tools to mitigate that (brightness and warmth controls) if you use them.

Last edited by sjfan; 02-23-2018 at 12:38 AM.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #228
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm not sure that's accurate.
So most of what you describe are government owned and the government, their owner, chooses their color. Not really an example of what we're talking about.
These were city and county ordinances that regulated the colour of privately owned vehicles. Or of government agencies that the city/county had no oversight of. Not every vehicle type/colour that I listed was in the local code.

Guessing, I'd say that the late-seventies/early eighties was when the local governments started repelling these laws.

Amber

Last edited by Fiat_Lux; 02-26-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #229
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Any news on the daet Walmart will get KOBO?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #230
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Any news on the daet Walmart will get KOBO?
I've been looking for that too. I couldn't find one, though I remember reading that it is expected at the end of this year (or was that 'later this year'?).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #231
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've been looking for that too. I couldn't find one, though I remember reading that it is expected at the end of this year (or was that 'later this year'?).
As far as I recall, the original stories said that the Japanese grocery end of the deal would start in Q3, 2018 while the Walmart/Kobo American end would start, as you said, in a rather vague "later this year" timeframe.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #232
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don’t want to mail order given trouble I have getting packages delivered
Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #233
HLS
Wizard

goodereader.com says the reader that's going to be sold at Walmart is a 5 inch mini. I do not know how true that is
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #234
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
goodereader.com says the reader that's going to be sold at Walmart is a 5 inch mini. I do not know how true that is
Do you have a link? I haven't seen that. Not that I take Good-E-Reads too seriously anyhow.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #235
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Do you have a link? I haven't seen that. Not that I take Good-E-Reads too seriously anyhow.

I can’t do a link on my iPad for some reason. But it is on their current article about kobo Aura being discontinued on their website. A brief mention of this
Old 03-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #236
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I can’t do a link on my iPad for some reason. But it is on their current article about kobo Aura being discontinued on their website. A brief mention of this
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...s-discontinued

Quote:
There are also rumors swirling that they are developing a second generation five inch Mini e-reader that was designed to be sold in Walmart stores later this year.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #237
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd take that with a boulder of salt. They don't typically cite their sources and they aren't trustworthy enough in general to trust who the choose as an anonymous source.

I watch their review videos, because they review a lot of off-the-wall readers. But their journalism leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #238
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I think it all came from this article (blog post) ...

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...a-kobo-mini-2/

Like so much Good-E-Reads takes from eBook Reader and Mobile Read, he can't get the facts straight. Usually he takes some simple thing like the writer at eBook Reader reminiscing about the Kobo Mini and wondering what it would be like had Kobo released an updated Mini – and turns it into "rumors swirling" or some such BS. Good-E-Reads wants some kind of sensationalism, to make it look like they're "breaking a new story." Also Good-E-Reads reported the discontinuation of the Kobo H2O, a day after eBook Reader reported it – as usual.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #239
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think it all came from this article (blog post) ...

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...a-kobo-mini-2/

Like so much Good-E-Reads takes from eBook Reader and Mobile Read, he can't get the facts straight. Usually he takes some simple thing like the writer at eBook Reader reminiscing about the Kobo Mini and wondering what it would be like had Kobo released an updated Mini – and turns it into "rumors swirling" or some such BS. Good-E-Reads wants some kind of sensationalism, to make it look like they're "breaking a new story." Also Good-E-Reads reported the discontinuation of the Kobo H2O, a day after eBook Reader reported it – as usual.
To be clear: Their name is GoodEreader, not Good E-Reads. Otherwise, I agree with your opinion.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #240
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
To be clear: Their name is GoodEreader, not Good E-Reads. Otherwise, I agree with your opinion.
Sorry. Thanks for correction.