Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use light or dark mode?
Light mode 31 46.27%
Dark mode 26 38.81%
Both (e.g. different systems, alternating sometimes) 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Calibre: Light or Dark mode?

Poll incoming.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:02 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Light, always. I cannot stand light text on a dark background. Instead I turn my backlight really down and use the warm light in a dim environment.

I never use the dark mode on my ereaders either.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2022, 05:04 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I only have dark mode on terminal windows, and on some systems I've edited that. I simply turn down the brightness. Dark mode usually needs more light and often font systems are less suited to it.
I hate it on websites. I find it hard to read.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I dislike dark mode/light text on a dark background. When sites use it, I can't hit the back button fast enough.

I sometimes use it on my Kindles in a totally dark room, if hubby says the light is too bright when he's trying to sleep. But I don't care for it.

I do adjust the brightness of the computer screen at times. It's never all the way up.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:06 PM   #5
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Both. I like it to change with sunrise/sunset.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
ableal
Enthusiast
ableal began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (2009), Kobo Clara HD (2018), Kobo Libra 2 (2022)
You mean on e-ink readers? Dark mode on those is not even wrong, just senseless.

I can understand dark mode on other backlit screens, but I'm not much of a fan, had my fill back in CRT days ...

EDIT: ah, sorry, calibre topic. Answer stands, light mode.

Last edited by ableal; 03-21-2022 at 08:20 PM.
ableal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:48 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I have become averse to light mode on backlit devices, so use dark on my phone, tablet and PC monitor, which obviously includes Calibre. The bigger the screen, the more the bright hurts, so as monitors went from 24" to 27" to my current 34", my preference for dark mode grew. Ditto the jump from an 8-inch tablet to an 11-inch. For actual reading, the reverse is true and dark mode has never been spotted on any of my e-ink devices.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:10 PM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I use whatever looks best to my eye for a given application. Sometimes that's dark, sometimes that's light - it varies with how the application display is designed. One mode is not universally better than the other across all applications.

Sometimes I choose the mode to differentiate things. e.g., I have a main router and several access points, all running the same firmware so they have the same basic display. I use light mode for my main router and some variation of dark mode for all my access points (changing the font color or some other attribute to differentiate one access point from another).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote