Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
TheOneWhoReads
TheOneWhoReads began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
New Nook Glowlight 4?

I was in BN this past weekend as my NST is literally falling apart and on life support. Figured I'd commit to one last go with the Nook family, maybe even get the bigger Glowlight Plus(2019). When looking at the two different models I found a sign on the Glowlight 3 stand, "Out of stock, ask our employees about the Glowlight 4". I did ask and the staff said they just got that, along with a pamphplet with very basic stats(the normal 'one charge lasts forever stuff, no actual specs) about a Glowlight 4 coming out at an unannounced date. Has anyone else heard anything?
TheOneWhoReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Before you buy another NOOK, consider a Kobo. You won't regret it.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
TheOneWhoReads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Before you buy another NOOK, consider a Kobo. You won't regret it.
I have briefly looked at the kobos. I don't know if I'm quite ready to switch to the Linux environment for my e-reading needs.
Still, interesting in hearing if anyone has heard anything about this possible new model.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoReads View Post
I was in BN this past weekend as my NST is literally falling apart and on life support. Figured I'd commit to one last go with the Nook family, maybe even get the bigger Glowlight Plus(2019). When looking at the two different models I found a sign on the Glowlight 3 stand, "Out of stock, ask our employees about the Glowlight 4". ...
Interesting. I think I'll take a trip down to Barnes & Noble. Thanks for the news. It appears to be another confirmation that B&N isn't planning to get out of the eBook and eReader business.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
GlowLight3 currently out of stock from the B&N website. Even the refurbished ones.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #6
TheOneWhoReads

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Interesting. I think I'll take a trip down to Barnes & Noble. Thanks for the news. It appears to be another confirmation that B&N isn't planning to get out of the eBook and eReader business.
Sure thing! That's the idea, though like I said since my local store had such little info I was hoping someone else might have seen something.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I have briefly looked at the kobos. I don't know if I'm quite ready to switch to the Linux environment for my e-reading needs.
Still, interesting in hearing if anyone has heard anything about this possible new model.
I've had Nooks and Kobos and like both.

But what does Linux have to do with anything? It's on the reader, but it's not like you'll have to do anything with it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #8
TheOneWhoReads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've had Nooks and Kobos and like both.

But what does Linux have to do with anything? It's on the reader, but it's not like you'll have to do anything with it.
Because I am not going to buy a device, Kobo, Nook, or otherwise, and not have complete control over it. I am more familiar with screwing around with nook Android, and have even developed little personal tools for use on it.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
GlowLight3 currently out of stock from the B&N website. Even the refurbished ones.
It looks like they may have dumped them (the refurbished ones) on BigDeals (eBay). BigDeals has been selling refurbished (or open box) ones for years.

On second thought: The fact that the Barnes & Noble has no Glowlight 3s available would seem to indicate that they pulled them in anticipation of the Glowlight 4s. So that might (probably?) mean that the Glowlight 4s will be released soon.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-17-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Sure thing! That's the idea, though like I said since my local store had such little info I was hoping someone else might have seen something.
First I've heard of it. Can't find any information on the Internet about the Glowlight 4. Curious if it's going to be out before Christmas.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I went to the local Barnes & Noble (first time in several months). Quite a few changes. The movie/music section has pretty much shrunk to nothing, but there are a lot more books.

As for the Nooks — right now they're not even on display. You have to ask for one if you want to buy it. They've got a new Nook display coming, but the guy I talked to hadn't heard of the Nook Glowlight 4. He did know that they had had pulled the Glowlight 3s and that they were going to clear them out (presumably when they came back on sale). At least think that's what I think he said — it was hard understanding him through the mask. It would have been hard to understand him anyhow, he kind of mumbled.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
Shadilly
Shadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Libra 2,Clara HD, Glowlight Plus, Kindle Voyage
On Nook’s Twitter page (which seems a little try hard to me) there’s a tweet about a new Nook device announced before Christmas.
Shadilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Because I am not going to buy a device, Kobo, Nook, or otherwise, and not have complete control over it. I am more familiar with screwing around with nook Android, and have even developed little personal tools for use on it.
You wouldn’t need tools to mess around on a Kobo. It’s a lot more open than the Nook has ever been. And the community members here on MR who get into the real nuts and bolts of the firmware are very helpful.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #14
FerociousNOOK
FerociousNOOK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST Glowlight
I just back from B&N and the employees have a spec sheet for the Nook Glow Light 4. I got a peak and it's a 6" model but no release date yet. IMO I think I will get a Kobo Libra 2.

Last edited by FerociousNOOK; 11-17-2021 at 08:59 PM.
FerociousNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I won't believe it until GoodEReader has a story about it!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook