Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Questions about quick management of Collections.

Hello,
I'm starting to getting a hang of my less-than-one-week-young Forma along with Calibre (adding books).

On the Forma, I've made some simple Collections, like "health" and "productivity".

For one or two or three books, using the Forma isn't too bad, but the more books you want to add to Collections, it becomes time-consuming (Lotsa taps). So, is there a way to use Calibre to:
1. add books to Collections;
2. create new collections.

Another question, I currently have about 400 books on my Forma. Let's say 80% of the books are non-fiction, and the rest (20%) are fiction. If I create a "Fiction" collection, is there a way for Forma to automatically create a non-"Fiction" collection, based on whatever books are not in the Fiction collection?

I'm willing to use Calibre or whatever other tool can do the job easily/quickly. (I'm faster on a computer than I am on the Forma.)
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you looked at the sticky threads in this forum? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193184

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is shelves the same thing as Forma's Collections?

UPDATE: I just saw the answer: Yes it is.

Last edited by droopy; 08-21-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you looked at the sticky threads in this forum? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193184
Let's say my Kobo is USB-connected to my laptop's Calibre. I add/edit a few collections, based on instructions in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob..._Configuration .

If I go to Calibre's toolbar and then choose Device>Disconnect the device, i'm afraid even the edits I made on the Library side aren't saved.

So here's what I do to make adds/edits to collections on my Kobo's collections.
  1. In "Calibre Library", I make the adds/edits.
  2. I click on Devices button and then choose Sync cached metadata on device".
  3. I then eject my Kobo, and voila, books now are part of collections that they weren't a part 5 minutes ago.

UPDATE: I have removed a step from above (Press KoboUtilities button, then click on Update_data_on_device_library) because I found out it's unnecessary.

Last edited by droopy; 10-11-2019 at 12:49 AM. Reason: removed an unneeded step (i.e. KoboUtilities>Update_data_on_device_library)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Let's say my Kobo is USB-connected to my laptop's Calibre. I add/edit a few collections, based on instructions in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob..._Configuration .

If I go to Calibre's toolbar and then choose Device>Disconnect the device, i'm afraid even the edits I made on the Library side aren't saved.

So here's what I do to make adds/edits to collections on my Kobo's collections.
In "Calibre Library", I make the adds/edits.
I click KoboUtilities button and click on "Update Metadata on Device Library"
I then click on Devices button and then choose Sync cached metadata on device".
I then eject my Kobo, and voila, books now are part of collections that they weren't a part 5 minutes ago.
What you are missing is that the driver does the collection management each time the device is connected. So, any changes you make to metadata in the calibre library that affect the collections on your Kobo device, will be applied when you next connect the device. You don't need to have the device connected when changing things in the library. And if you do, you have to do the extra step you mention.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You don't need to have the device connected when changing things in the library.

It's a bad habit, I guess.