Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Latajea
Latajea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello to all

Hi, I'm new to both this forum and the idea of e-readers. I have extensively searched the net and cannot get a definitive idea as to which is the best to buy so here I am and hoping for as much advice as possible.
I live in Spain, am working in Kuwait and am English. Therefore books are an expensive commodity all round so the e-reader seems to be the way to go, especially as I sit in a car for 2 hours a day on my way to and from work and read!
All advice is welcome and hopefully all the experienced people out there will be able to point me in the right direction.
Just to let you know, I will read pretty much anything - the back of a cornflake box has been known to do in an emergency!
I look forward to learning from you all and once I reach the giddy heights of ownership being able to add my own comments and opinions.
Thank you all for reading this.
Latajea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Latajea. We all have opinions and advice. Considering your location, I would suggest either the Hanlin V3 (or the BeBook which is the same hardware) or possibly the Cybook Gen3. The Bebook and Cybook are generally available in Europe. There are some specs on our WIKI page. They both will read Mobipocket with & without DRM as well as some other formats. Several ebook stores are also available, e.g. Fictionwise.com, Baen.com, Booksonboard.com. There are some thousands of free books here on MR that are in the public domain. You should check them out. Baen has a free library (to entice you to buy their author's books). Baen is mostly SF but all are DRM free & their prices on other books are very reasonable.

I have only mentioned ebook readers that use the eink technology. It is easier to read and has better battery life but look around at all the forums for other possibilities.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Latajea and welcome to MobileRead. If you are so pathetically addicted to reading, you've been reduced to reading the back of cereal boxes, you will fit in well here.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi Latajea and welcome!

What do you enjoy reading, besides cereal packets?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latajea View Post
Just to let you know, I will read pretty much anything - the back of a cornflake box has been known to do in an emergency!
haha.... that's definitely me. I have all my shampoo bottles, any toothpaste/hairproducts, food labels... basically anything with a label has been read by me. At least 50 times.

Welcome
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
Latajea
Latajea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the welcome and the information from Slayda. I'm even more confused as I had really only looked at the Kindle (US only?) and the Sony. This could be a long process to even get started!
As to what I read... Well most genres get covered at some point, sometimes it depends on what books are on offer so I get them cheaper, or what is in the airport, or if I really get to choose I like Sci-Fi, Murder & Crime, a bit of Chick Lit, most Classics already done, big fan of Dennis Wheatley (mis-spent youth) and Donald Westlake and Terry Pratchet. Some Biographies I've enjoyed, some not, usually of people recent and living. It would be easier to say I don't like poetry, not keen on 'Literature' Ancient or Modern and have found that most Booker/Orange entries are not for me either.
If some of you could just point me in the direction of your favourite reader and why I can start to get a picture of the pros and cons.
Cheers
Latajea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Soo, many choices! Well, check the wiki as Slayda suggests and also have a look at the What device to buy section.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

I have a Sony 505 which I love and am rarely away from (well except when I am here or actually working.) There seem to be a number of members from Spain who have the 505 which they ordered from the UK.

I have just started reading the Discworld series for the first time. (I worried a bit about the luggage at first, but I'm told it can definitely take care of itself!) There is a thread here about the series.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26058

Last edited by Curly; 04-17-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, which device