Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #16
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Finally found this thread!!!

Is anybody else still using this?

How about on firmware 3.5?

I'd really love to have screen savers on my glo
I never tried this screen saver, and I do not know for sure whether it works on FW 3.5.0. But to my mind chances are that it does. In addition, I can inform you that pickel works again as expected. Therefore, there seems to be no longer any need to additionally refresh the screen. (Edit: This is incorrect I wrongly remembered that the screen saver is using pickel, but this is not the case.)

Last edited by tshering; 07-18-2014 at 03:05 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #17
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I never tried this screen saver, and I do not know for sure whether it works on FW 3.5.0. But to my mind chances are that it does. In addition, I can inform you that pickel works again as expected. Therefore, there seems to be no longer any need to additionally refresh the screen.
thanks. I just installed (i used the version for 3.3) it and it's working great.

I read books that have "questionable" covers and turning off display book cover option, in my opinion, is a great waste of an e-ink's capability...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What and how did you install exactly?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #19
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
What and how did you install exactly?
If you already did install it and it did not work, Kobo Start Menu is the culprit. To make it work you have to add /opt/cfw/preload/hook.so to the LD_PRELOAD command (respectively add the whole LD_PRELOAD command) in .kobo/kbmenu/onstart/startreader.sh.

For testing I would recommend you copy the original startreader.sh to .kobo/kbmenu/scripts and do the modifications there. Then start nickel by selecting
"scripts" > "startreader.sh"

Maybe I will add this as an option in the next version of the menu.

Edit: You can find the packages here

Last edited by tshering; 07-18-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed it, made the change in Kobo Start Menu, and it works (Aura with 3.5.0). But it doesn't work without the KSM, is this expected? Can it be fixed? (I still like to have an alternating nickel/KSM start, in case something goes wrong.)
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #21
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I installed it, made the change in Kobo Start Menu, and it works (Aura with 3.5.0). But it doesn't work without the KSM, is this expected? Can it be fixed? (I still like to have an alternating nickel/KSM start, in case something goes wrong.)
I think if you install the screen saver via "handle updates" > "install update" then the screen saver will work with alternating nickel/KSM start. If you do install it via "handle updates" > "install partial update", it will not work.

Could you please post your modified files, so that other interested user might use it? Maybe it would be better in the KSM threat.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:02 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
I think if you install the screen saver via "handle updates" > "install update" then the screen saver will work with alternating nickel/KSM start. If you do install it via "handle updates" > "install partial update", it will not work.
It makes sense, but I tried with "install update" it is still the same. Except that before the reader did not turn off automatically when nickel was started from KSM. Now it works as expected, but still no custom images without KSM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #23
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
It makes sense, but I tried with "install update" it is still the same.
Maybe that during installation the necessary changes are not written to rcS for some reason. You can check:
  • navigate to the folder: scripts > browse > bowse all.msh > etc > init.d
  • change to reading mode by pressing info/read/delete
  • check that the text field reads: "current mode: read"; take care, if you delete rcS, you have a problem! (If it happens, don't power off!)
  • tap on rcS
  • page (by tapping on the right part of the screen) to the end of the text. Look whether you find

Code:
    LD_PRELOAD="/opt/cfw/preload/hook.so /root/screenInv.so" /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -platform kobo -skipFontLoad &
If you cannot find this, we have to do something about it.

Alternatively, you can back up the rcS file (scripts > back up > back up rcS and usb) and read the backed up version (.kobo/kbmenu/backup). If necessary you can edit this version, copy it to .kobo/kbmenu/copyrepos/, and restore it back to the original location (scripts > restore > restore rcS.sh). Before restoring, power the reader on and off (just to make sure that the new rcS file is read, rather than a cached version)

Quote:
Except that before the reader did not turn off automatically when nickel was started from KSM. Now it works as expected, but still no custom images without KSM.
At the moment I don't see how KSM is related to the automatic power off.

Last edited by tshering; 07-23-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
If you cannot find this, we have to do something about it.
No LD_PRELOAD at all (rcS file attached). Since I don't have screenInv.so, I guess I should use:

Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/opt/cfw/preload/hook.so /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -platform kobo -skipFontLoad &
Old 07-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #25
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
No LD_PRELOAD at all (rcS file attached). Since I don't have screenInv.so, I guess I should use:

Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/opt/cfw/preload/hook.so /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -platform kobo -skipFontLoad &
The original install procedure of the screensaver package adds /root/screenInv.so to the preload-libraries, whether you have Yoq's night mode hack installed or not. If you do not include it, and you install the night mode hack afterwards, it will fail (but it will work if you start nickel via KSM), and you would then have to add it manually to the preload-libraries.

My idea of using nickel and KSM is that you start nickel via KSM. In addition to the "start nickel" of the main menu you can add as many start nickel entries with different configurations as you like under "scripts", almost without taking any risks. It should even be possible to run different versions of nickel. And on the other hand you would have a pure unmodified nickel (not started via KSM selection) as a fallback.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #26
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Is it safe to add non-existing files to LD_PRELOAD?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Jellby: On a standard Linux system, yes.

Code:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/foo.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

[...]

+++ exited with 0 +++
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I've had lots of problems lately, resulting in an unresponsive unit. Fortunately a paper clip has worked every time (even when I had no paperclip at hand, I could find a thin and strong enough stick). I'm not sure it's due to this patch, but I've only noticed them after I installed it, so I'll be uninstalling/disabling it (if I find out how) and report back.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
so I'll be uninstalling/disabling it (if I find out how) and report back.
Removing /opt/cfw/preload/hook.so from the preload list should suffice.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #30
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I have no problems so far. It's been a few days. But I also don't have any other hack installed on my Glo (only the night-mode one).
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote