Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 03:22 AM   #856
royconejo
royconejo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I understand your mood about your recent problem. You have caused it yourself and had to deal with it for just a couple of days. I saw your post today and replied to it with a solution. So please don't speak in name of most of the users of Max. We actually really do have thousands of highly satisfied and happy users. There is no perfect reader or perfect software. But we do our best and everything what is possible in our power to keep developing of our software and hardware. Those premium prices are caused not by our avarice for money. Some actually marginal and niche technologies just do have their costs. So we dare to speak about Max 2, because we believe in progress.
Booxtor I really appreciate your help and support and everything you're doing. You worth more than an entire support team. Good support and an open system was everything I was looking for, that's why I've chosen ONYX again despite I was not completely satisfied with the M92. And of course I'm one of the few eager to paid a premium for a device whose only notable feature is a screen technology that few people cares to understand or can be indulgent with its shortcomings.

That being said:

Quote:
I understand your mood about your recent problem. You have caused it yourself and had to deal with it for just a couple of days.
You say I have a problem that I've caused it myself and I'm dealing with it for some day from now all because I have accidentally clicked on the wrong calibration spots? Really? I'm that stupid? or maybe the fact that a wrong stylus calibration (and the following disability to navigate on Android) has been overlooked by the developers?

So my 700 USD device stopped working for days now, I had to send support emails over and over discarding the official support channels, getting an account here.. just because I clicked on the calibration option and (my fault) missed the targets?

The solution to this problem ended up being a software package that is not offered in the official firmware page and implies re-flashing my entire device to factory defaults. And unfortunately, that solution brought me a display problem.

Maybe it's me.. but It seems a lot just for a stylus calibration that gone wrong. So it's no surprising that this and the stylus bug in the M92 that forced me to stop writing, raise the pen and start again make me wonder about the kind of product a MAX2 could become. For ONYX, progress will not mean keep throwing new hardware every 2 years, but making better software from the start to seduce the 99% of consumers who don't like to be beta testers.

Last edited by royconejo; 03-22-2017 at 02:28 PM.
royconejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 03:49 AM   #857
fbrzvnrnd
Addict
fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iLiad
I love my Onyx M96, but —*yes —*we are beta-testing it. I opened a ticket about the font problem in Android App in February and it is still there. I'm talking about February 2016. I can not use Dictionary after 1.8 update. I know is not easy build a firmware for a device, but we are far away from have a working e-ink tablet/reader out-of-the-box.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #858
ou4read
ou4read began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen.
Quote:
Max 2 (detailed specs are confidential yet) will be also available later this year.
All I can say, Max 2 in comparisson with current competitors (GoodEreader /Netronix and Dasung monitor) would let all them look rather dreary.
I won't be so sure about that. In my observation there have been pioneers who first demanded new E-paper screens (like how Sony and Amazon did with DPT-S1 and Kindle Paperwhite) and followers who utilized the screen later (GoodEreader, Dasung, Onyx, etc.) So even if Onyx is the pioneer this time, there will be new products utilizing the 13.3" Carta screen soon.

And please tell Onyx to build stable software. 1.8 is still unstable I heard and on 1.7.4 and 1.7.5 I still have basic issues like Wifi turning off against the no-sleep option, Bluetooth thinking a device turned off is still on, etc..
ou4read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #859
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1,2,3, Kindle DX, Onyx M96, Onyx i86 Plus, Onyx Boox Max
Hi all together,

I thought a little bit about the opinions expressed about Booxter and his online shop.

I am a customer for several years now. And of course I had some problems with the devices over the years. Recently I had to send in my Onyx Boox Max to the EReader Store because it didn't boot anymore. It did came back a few days later repaired.

I am highly satisfied with the service. And of course I don't get any money for saying that.

The price tag for such a "niche product" is certainly higher than any mass production e-reader. It's just economically that way.

It is not that something will never ever go wrong. With every device which is so near to the technological edge there will be some problems. Especially on the software side.

The Onyx device software, especially the content reader software, is far from perfect. So there is room for improvement in the future but that counts for every software project.

So keep your expectations to a normal reality level.

Last edited by joblack; 03-23-2017 at 06:39 AM.
joblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM   #860
underscore
Connoisseur
underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.underscore is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Onyx Boox i86ML Plus (previous M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The price tag for such a "niche product" is certainly higher than any mass production e-reader. It's just economically that way.
From my very own niche of myself.
The price is high, because those screen are a monopoly.
To cut the price of the readers, that we probably will buy anyway (if i can spend 800 euro i can spend 900), the rest of the hardware is seriously
under dimensioned to do task that the screen can do fine
(browsing, office usage, putty usage, email....90% of my work time).

So when a casual observer watch my 8 inches onyx, he suddenly got interested, because we ALL have eyes, but then the interest vanish in few minutes when i tell the cost and i can't assure some of the basic usage above.
The cost is too high for someone just occasionally reading a pdf.

They don't buy those readers, so there is no demand for big screen.
So they cut costs with the rest of the hardware.
So we remain a niche because the devices are...can i say useless ?

And it's not that i don't buy hardware that i seldom use, if the cost is cheap enough and it's spread everywhere.
For example my smartphone has a camera, a fm radio, an nfc reader and probably some other hw features i seldom use.

You say you want a revolution /Well, you know /We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution /Well, you know /We all want to change the world
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #861
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Yes size is why people buy 13.5 inch readers and it seems too be high cost is why more are not sold. Any Android, or Apple tablet / phone has better processor, and many apps available making these 13.5 inch displays seem a poor value. Their size also limits portability which folding or roll up flexible screen could be a valued feature.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote