Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
Trouble running Sigil 0.9.7

I have a new laptop running Windows 8.1 x64.

Very little installed on it other than Word.

I installed Sigil 0.9.7 x64. Right at the end it the install seemed to hang, but with the green thermo showing 100%.

I then tried to run Sigil 0.9.7 and got the error 0x0000076. and the proggie would not start.

I uninstalled 0.9.7 and installed Sigil 0.9.6 which now loads and runs OK.

Tried installing 0.9.7 over the top of 0.9.6 still no work.

Uninstalled again, then put 0.9.6 on again; works.

What is different between 0.9.6 & 0.9.7 to cause one to work the other not to?

Peace John P
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Missing the proper Microsoft C++ runtime library?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The proper runtme is included with Sigil's installer. Both 8 and 8.1 should be sufficient for the included VS2015 runtime. It won't install if there's already a newer version of the VS2015 runtime installed, though.

Is the Sigil installer hanging, or is it the VS2015 installer that's failing?

The difference between 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 is that 0.9.6 requires the VS2013 runtime and 0.9.7 requires VS2015.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-27-2016 at 02:43 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
John2011
Enthusiast

It is the runtime that is hanging. It gets to "Processing Windows81_x64 which is right at the end, and then hangs.
I have Win 8.1 on my desktop too, and that is just fine with Sigil 0.9.7

I have tried un-installing Sigil and the .NET software. Tried to install again, same result.

Don't you just hate computers.

Peace, John P.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@John2011 - I suggest you take screen shots of Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Programs and Features of the two systems and compare which "Microsoft Visual C++ NNNN Redistributable" packages they have installed.

Post the screen shots here if there's nothing obviously amiss. I am attaching mine as an example.

AFAIK the Visual C++ Redistributable libraries are not components of the .NET frameworks.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	153796  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:34 AM   #6
John2011
Enthusiast

BetterRed
You are correct I meant Visual C++ Redistributable libraries 2.0.

I had been a tad mixed up in the previous message. BTW the laptop is a Gigabyte P55g V5, and windows update doesn't work too.

Thank you all for the replies.

Peace, John P
Old 12-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2011 View Post
BetterRed
You are correct I meant Visual C++ Redistributable libraries 2.0.

I had been a tad mixed up in the previous message. BTW the laptop is a Gigabyte P55g V5, and windows update doesn't work too.

Thank you all for the replies.

Peace, John P
Do you maybe have the Windows update service shut off?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
, and windows update doesn't work too.
That's probably why Visual C++ 2015 won't install, it probably needs a functional MS Windows Trusted Installer sub-system.

If it's not as simple as enabling the windows update service as suggested in JSWolf's post, you need to fix that. Search the web for "Windows Update stopped working on Windows 8.0".

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-27-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What BR said.

Your OS is broken (or has Malware ).

That needs fixing so you get all MS security updates
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:18 AM   #10
John2011
Enthusiast

I have managed to get C++ 2015 to finish it's install. Went to uninstall a program, clicked on C++ 2015 14.0.24210, it asked to uninstall or fix I clicked fix and away it went. Sigil 0.97 is now a goer.

However I did try that fix option before and it still hung right at the end. Now this time it worked. Stupid Computers. Now all I have to do is get Windows Update to work.

Thank you all for the advice and help.

Peace, John P.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:29 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Now all I have to do is get Windows Update to work.
Good luck with that

I'm not au fait with Win 8.0 Widows Update, but if there's a checkbox for 'Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows' try unchecking it.

After the November 2016 updates a problem with Win 10 Pro 1511 WU appeared. If you have that box checked and you have mixed versions of Office installed - e.g Office 2010 Home & Student, and Office Outlook 2007, Windows Updates won't even be found let alone be downloaded and installed - WU spins its wheels looking for updates.

So far the only known fixes are uncheck the 'Give me updates... option, install Win 10 1607 (Anniversary Edition), or align the Office components to same versions. I'm hanging out for the January updates to see if its fixed, otherwise I'll bite the bullet and upgrade to 1607.

Could be that Win 8.x WU suffers similar problems.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-29-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I have managed to get C++ 2015 to finish it's install. Went to uninstall a program, clicked on C++ 2015 14.0.24210, it asked to uninstall or fix I clicked fix and away it went. Sigil 0.97 is now a goer.
That's good news! Since there are no plans to upgrade the version of the VS2015 runtme being distributed with Sigil in the forseeable future, you should be set for future Sigil updates too (the Sigil installer won't attempt to install the runtime if an equal--or greater--version is already installed).

Not that that should discourage you from getting your Windows Update subsystem in order.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote