Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-16-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Use of SVG wrapper in Add Cover module

I'm curious about Sigil's use of the SVG wrapper when using its Add Cover module. Putting aside Apple's war on the SVG wrapper, I thought it had fallen out of use in favour of just putting the image in with a height value of 100%. Or, to accommodate Apple, putting the cover image in a div class whereby the height value is set in the CSS. What have I missed?
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I don't know what you have missed, but I still get the best results with the SVG wrapper. I don't care about Apple...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I don't know what you have missed, but I still get the best results with the SVG wrapper. I don't care about Apple...
When you say you don't care about Apple, do you mean you don't sell your ebooks on Apple, or that you just don't code for them and you don't care if the cover works properly or not?

Apple don't allow the SVG wrapper for internal images, but I cannot recall if that mandate also applies to the cover. Does anyone know?

Also, the SVG wrapper of my past included a max-height and max-width to prevent upsizing of small images on larger screens. Sigil's SVG wrapper specifies the height and width but does not use the prefix "max". Does that change the behaviour on screens that exceed the pixel count of the image?
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
When you say you don't care about Apple, do you mean you don't sell your ebooks on Apple, or that you just don't code for them and you don't care if the cover works properly or not?

Apple don't allow the SVG wrapper for internal images, but I cannot recall if that mandate also applies to the cover. Does anyone know?

Also, the SVG wrapper of my past included a max-height and max-width to prevent upsizing of small images on larger screens. Sigil's SVG wrapper specifies the height and width but does not use the prefix "max". Does that change the behaviour on screens that exceed the pixel count of the image?
I don't care because Apple is a small fish in the ebooks market and I refuse to make special iPUB's just for them. The code for the SVG wrappers falls perfectly in the specs and iBooks should honor it if they claim to support ePUB.
I really don't like Apple ignoring the standards for no good reason at all, just because they are Apple.

The wrapper Sigil uses is in use for many years now and works fine for both larger and smaller screens. It will autofit the cover to the screen while maintaining the aspect ratio.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:49 AM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use the Sigil Add Cover option. I don't use the iBookstore, however, so I have no idea what the result is.

I don't like the closed Apple universe, but I do care about the iBookstore. With B&N, they are for me the only competition for Amazon, and I dread the prospect of a world in which Amazon has no competition. (Remember the 35 percent royalty before Apple came along -- and got sued for price-fixing!) Some months B&N sells more copies, some months it's Apple. The others are nice to see, but they wouldn't sustain a business model without B&N and Apple. Some authors claim big sales with Kobo, but I've never seen them.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please don't politicize these threads with opinions on competition, price-fixing and other highly volatile subjects. There's plenty of that type of conversation available out in the general forums. None of it is relevant to technical questions/conversations about Sigil anyway.

Sigil's generated cover is epub compliant. If people need special, vendor-specific, or non-compliant cover-image solutions, consider creating (or sponsoring) a third-party Sigil plugin to accomodate your needs. That's a big part of the reason Sigil's plugin framework was created in the first place.

Output plugins that take the stock epub version of a document and prepare it for specific vendors/retailers would be the perfect solution for those who only want to maintain one master version of their ebook, I would think. The Kindleizer, iBooksit, etc. ... That way, Sigil itself is left out of the equation. It's main concern is making a vanilla, compliant epub, afterall.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2016 at 08:07 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Output plugins that take the stock epub version of a document and prepare it for specific vendors/retailers would be the perfect solution for those who only want to maintain one master version of their ebook, I would think. The Kindleizer, iBooksit, etc. ... That way, Sigil itself is left out of the equation. It's main concern is making a vanilla, compliant epub, afterall.
That would be a great idea, IMHO. It would be great, for example, if there were a plugin for epub -> mobi that makes the required changes in how the cover is represented and perhaps other tweaks, and even calls kindlegen to generate the mobi (there already exists a plugin to do the latter step).

Though such changes might not be difficult to implement, the plugin could save a lot of tedious editing.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:03 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
It would be great, for example, if there were a plugin for epub -> mobi that makes the required changes in how the cover is represented and perhaps other tweaks,
The only thing that KindleGen looks for in epub2 books is the cover metadata entry. E.g.

Code:
<meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" />
and this entry can be easily added in the Book Browser. IMHO, it would be difficult to automatically add this entry, if the Image folder contained multiple images.

Quote:
Though such changes might not be difficult to implement, the plugin could save a lot of tedious editing.
If you have ideas for new KindleGen plugin features, please post them in KindleGen plugin thread. I might add them in the next version.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The only thing that KindleGen looks for in epub2 books is the cover metadata entry. E.g.

Code:
<meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" />
and this entry can be easily added in the Book Browser. IMHO, it would be difficult to automatically add this entry, if the Image folder contained multiple images.
True, but "in the beginning it was not so." Kindlegen used to have trouble with double or no cover images; now it seems to do the right thing most of the time if the above metadata is present. In fact, I always put this in the epub as well. It doesn't need to be changed for the mobi precursor.

I also do a couple of other tweaks:

To prevent the "double cover" issue, I point the "cover" guide element to the actual cover image (not the cover.xhtml file) and delete the cover.xhtml file:
Code:
<reference type="cover" title="Cover" href="Images/cover.jpg"/>
and change the title of the "text" guide element to "Start Reading":

Code:
<reference type="text" title="Start Reading" href="Text/Chapter001.xhtml"/>
The above is probably just superstition, but at one time it was thought that it helped to ensure the book opened at the intended place.

Beyond that, I don't do anything special to the mobi-precursor epub, other than avoiding CSS selectors such as :first-line and :first-letter that don't work reliably across all or most of the kindle variants.

Quote:
If you have ideas for new KindleGen plugin features, please post them in KindleGen plugin thread. I might add them in the next version.
Well, the only new feature I can think of off the top of my head would be the ability to configure it to save the mobi to the same path as the epub being edited, and use the same filename with mobi extension. E.g. if I'm editing ~/ebooks/MyNewBook/PigsInSpace.epub then the mobi would be ~/ebooks/MyNewBook/PigsInSpace.mobi. (That is, configure it to do so automatically, without having to edit the plugin's config file each time.)
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I also do a couple of other tweaks:

To prevent the "double cover" issue, I point the "cover" guide element to the actual cover image (not the cover.xhtml file) and delete the cover.xhtml file:
Code:
<reference type="cover" title="Cover" href="Images/cover.jpg"/>
In that case you should get the following epubcheck error message:

Code:
ERROR(OPF-032): Guide references 'OEBPS/Images/cover.jpg' which is not a valid 'OPS Content Document'.
because you can only link to OPS Content Documents (=XML/(X)HTML files) in the guide section.

Quote:
and change the title of the "text" guide element to "Start Reading":

Code:
<reference type="text" title="Start Reading" href="Text/Chapter001.xhtml"/>
That information might actually be used by epub software for visually impaired readers, but, AFAIK, it's not strictly necessary. This tweak could be easily added to the KindleGen plugin.

Quote:
Beyond that, I don't do anything special to the mobi-precursor epub, other than avoiding CSS selectors such as :first-line and :first-letter that don't work reliably across all or most of the kindle variants.
I might add a pseudo selector check, even though these selectors tend to work in azw3 books just fine and KindleGen complains only about some of them.

Quote:
Well, the only new feature I can think of off the top of my head would be the ability to configure it to save the mobi to the same path as the epub being edited, and use the same filename with mobi extension. E.g. if I'm editing ~/ebooks/MyNewBook/PigsInSpace.epub then the mobi would be ~/ebooks/MyNewBook/PigsInSpace.mobi. (That is, configure it to do so automatically, without having to edit the plugin's config file each time.)
AFAIK, it's not possible to get the file name of the epub book without doing some major Python black magic.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover image, sigil, svg wrapper