Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
stdedos
stdedos began at the beginning.

Device: Mobiscribe
Multiple versions of the same ebook and type

I have the same version of an ebook in multiple formats, and sometimes, I have duplicates of the same format.
  • Direct comparison is not possible (different metadata organization)
  • ISBN is the same
  • Number of pages is (inexplicably) different
  • Both files seem to have benefits (i.e. better images vs better organization)

I don't want to decide now which one best, so I'd like to save them all together (since they do have the same ISBN), preferably with some version-specific comment (and not add comments on the synopsis).

Then, at a later time, I'll decide by "reading" the book if it looks bad or not.

However, there is no such functionality (comment on the file "version"), and same formats overwrite each other.

I'd prefer if I didn't have separate book entries since, after all, it's the same book.
stdedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I haven't encountered this often, but have a few such "duplicates". The easy, straight forward solution is to simply add the "version indicator" as a suffix to the title (e.g. Beowulf and Beowulf - illustrated).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader running on Android phone(s), Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7
If by multiple format you are talking about epub, mobi & pdf formats, that where I merge them. For example I have some books that I purchased from Fictionwize in PDB (Palm ereader format), that I later downloaded again from Barnes & Noble in ePub Format and again from Amazon when bookbub had a great deal on them just to make sure I could always find a copy I'm able to read on my current device. I have them all merged into a single entry where the "Formats" column displays AZW3, EPUB, PDB to indicate the diferent file formats attached to that entry in my library
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This has been addressed in several threads, mainly in the Library Management sub-forum - search for 'additional formats', 'extra formats'.

There's no ideal solution, some people bundle the extra formats into an archive (e.g. .7z) and add that, some people have a separate book as suggested by dwig, I store extra formats elsewhere and put a link in a custom column.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote