Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
DanMcarter
DanMcarter began at the beginning.

Device: ibook for Mac
Trouble with Ibooks

I have been using Calibre for some time and have no problems converting free PDF's into epub book. However when I add the book to iBooks it is fine until I shut down my computer and then it no longer shows up. Am I don't something incorrectly?
Thanks
DanMcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Are you using iBook or Books? iBooks is an older version of Books.

Hard to say what's going on. Do you use iCloud? Books normally loads books that have been added to iCloud. If it's getting loaded into iCloud and you have show iCloud books turned off, then that might be it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
PDF's are often shown in a library setting reserved for all PDF's. Is it possible you aren't looking at all your books in the Library?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
studiocity2
studiocity2 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Pro
I am having a similar problem. I convert a Word file to epub using Calibre. The file shows up on Ibooks on my Imac. However, it does not show up on my Ipad. With previous IPads with different operating systems it did via the cloud.

I contacted Apple support a month ago and they claimed there was a bug that didn't allow epub made with Calibre to get to Icloud. I saw there was a new version of Calibre so I tried again and again, the epub file does not transfer.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping Apple support got it wrong, as they sometimes do.

Does anyone know of a work around? Thank you.
studiocity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Might try converting to ePub using Pages to see how that works.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2019, 04:00 AM   #6
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiocity2 View Post
I am having a similar problem. I convert a Word file to epub using Calibre. The file shows up on Ibooks on my Imac. However, it does not show up on my Ipad. With previous IPads with different operating systems it did via the cloud.

I contacted Apple support a month ago and they claimed there was a bug that didn't allow epub made with Calibre to get to Icloud. I saw there was a new version of Calibre so I tried again and again, the epub file does not transfer.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping Apple support got it wrong, as they sometimes do.

Does anyone know of a work around? Thank you.
Most of my eBooks are converted/processed with Calibre and read in Apple Books and I don't have that problem.

The truth is another thing, and it is the incredible low quality of their customer service and the general decreasing of the quality of Apple software.

There is a bug in Books that sometimes breaks the synchronization between devices. It happens son and then, more frequently if versions of iOS/macOS do not match in all of your devices.

Once synchronization is broken, it is a pain in the ass make the things work well one more time. One of those things should resolve the issue, from easy to difficult (and painful):

1.- Restart ALL your devices. Or in more detail, switch off all. Once all are off, switch them one by one waiting until each aThing and iThing has completely started and synced before start the next.
2.- Disconnect Books from iCloud in ALL of your devices, deleting all content in your books. Wait some time to allow iCloud synchronize de disconnection. How many time? Nobody knows. Sometimes is ten seconds, sometimes is hours or days. How you can know when it is done? You cannot know that. Enable iCloud on Books in one device and only one, and wait until it synchronize. If you still have non-purchased books synchronized, disconnect and wait more time.
3.- Completely disable ALL iCloud in ALL of your devices. Follow the same steps as in 2.

Last edited by rfog; 07-30-2019 at 04:04 AM.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Some of Apple's cloud processes can be really difficult to fix when they break. A year or so ago, I had an issue with Apple Music. Basically, I all of a sudden started to get weird recommendations for styles of music I never listen to. My guess is somewhere, somehow, my account go confused with someone else's account. It took a lot of calls and back and forth's before if finally started working again.

I stopped trying to put my non Apple purchased books in iCloud. At the time I tried it, it seemed that iCloud didn't handle a large number of books well. They don't seem to have the same issue with Music or Movies.

I use Calbre Companion to hold my books, then transfer them to the reading app for reading, then delete from the reading app when I've read them. Thus, I've never bothered trying to put my books back in iCloud after that first try several years ago.

For the most part, both Kindle and Books seem to be designed for people who have small libraries and only keep a handful of books on the device at a time. Both slow down significantly with lots of books and neither really have the tools that are available with Calibre that allows me to manage my library.

Some aspects of the new Books are interesting, for example, Books will give you all sorts of information for books you purchased from Apple, i.e. is it part of a series, if so what are the other books in the series. Unfortunately, that sort of stuff seems to work only for Apple books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
TrentS02
TrentS02 began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books
Post Apple Books User Survey

Hello, I am a high school student taking an IB Computer Science course and have recently received a new assignment. My task is to research and understand an existing system and then determine how future improvements could be implemented. This survey will take no more then 5 minutes. Thank you for your time!

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Respo...Q1VjFURjVGWi4u
TrentS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
DEADWILDER
DEADWILDER began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad
I've had issues with Books where downloaded books would frequently unload even though I had free space on my iCloud drive. The only way to get it fixed was to free up even more space on iCloud (way more than all of the downloaded books combined would amount to). Apple should improve the connection between Books and iCloud..
DEADWILDER is offline   Reply With Quote