Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Folder for sideloaded files?

Can anyone tell me what folder sideloaded books need to be copied to on the Fire HD8 in order to show up in the "Books" app? I've tried copying them to:

/Android/Data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books

but they aren't appearing in the library.

Thanks,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon's instructions for sideloading to a Fire tablet are here.

That states when connected via USB the folder to copy to is named "Internal storage/Books". Books must be placed into that exact folder. You cannot use subfolders. I don't know what internal folder name this corresponds to.

Also, to show up a book must be marked as a book (cdetype=EBOK) in its internal metadata. If not then it will be treated as a personal document. Those do not show up in the "Books" app. You need to use the separate "Docs" app to view them.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks.

I'm having great difficulty getting this to work, unfortunately. I have a KF8 book with an extension of ".azw3". I've copied it in both "Books" and "Documents". It doesn't show up at all in the Books app. In the Docs app I can see it (and it has the icon of a Kindle book), but when I tap it I get the message "No application available to view this file".

Any more ideas?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I could be wrong but I don't think it is possible to sideload kf8, no matter how you name the file type.
Azw as produced by calibre conversions will sideload ok for me if I put them into the books folder.
Which I think is also where calibre puts them if asked to manage the transfer.

After reading your other post, some googling took me to Reddit and to claims that Amazon does randomly delete sideloaded books but I am unconvinced. I don't think it rearranges file and folder storage at all, just maintains its own indexes of books and documents, which is partially driven by pdoc, ebok tags within them.
I am unsure if those tags only exist for mobi, or if other formats use them also.
I am not curious enough to sideload a large selection of formats and tags, then count them a month later to see if any have family owned !

I'd love to see a thorough analysis and testing of the whole subject though!

ps when I say books folder I mean the top level books folder, not the one several levels down within android.

I pretty much only use the top level books, documents and download folders and stay out of the android... data areas
I.e. the folders that Xplore lists in its left hand pane as being directly below internal storage.

Last edited by stumped; 02-01-2019 at 03:49 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I find that Calibre on my Windows 10 PC, latest version 3.39.1 will recognize the Fire HD8 and load AZW3 books (no DRM) onto the device. Looks like they are on the SD card and show in the Kindle app.

Last edited by The Old Man; 02-13-2019 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Correction
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If its anything like the kindle app for other android devices, to sideload do this:

Make a folder in 'Internal storage' called 'Kindle' (it'll gain the kindle icon too when you do that) and then just drop your sideloaded books and it'll work like it should, restart the app and refresh the book library in the app.
mrpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
deleted. Ancient thread.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I don't know if just putting a book in the correct folder is enough. I can't say specifically for Kindle books, but I just did a test yesterday, coincidentally, for an Overdrive-borrowed audiobook.

Overdrive normally downloads these audiobooks to:

/root/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mobile.android.mediaconsole/files/Overdrive/[bookname]/*.mp3

I routinely move them to /root/storage/sdcard1/Audiobooks and then access them from there using the SmartAudiobookPlayer app. I do not use the built-in Overdrive listening app. Anyway, on a whim, after moving the audiobook files I decided to immediately move them BACK to the normal Overdrive directory. Just to see if the audiobook would reappear in Overdrive. It did not. So there is something more needed than just putting files into the correct directory for Overdrive to recognize them. Maybe it's the same for Kindle eBooks and the "Books" app we're discussing in this thread.

Note: Android usually blocks you from freely moving files like I do above. But you can do it with dedicated apps that you manually allow permissions for. I use the "ASUS File Manager" app for this purpose (it's not just for ASUS branded devices, it works on FireOS tablets provided you've already installed Google Play Store where you can install the ASUS app from).

Last edited by haertig; 05-30-2019 at 08:54 AM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
georgemh
georgemh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8 5thgen
You can also use /Books on the SD card
georgemh is offline   Reply With Quote