Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Linus
Nameless Being

Digitizing a book best practices

Are there any best practices for digitizing a book from scanner settings to OCR and final format for PRS-505?

My knowledge pertains to scanning copy for future printings and OCR as a reference item the is part of a package in a series of publications. I think my scope and understanding (scanning for color reproduction and tone for high end offset and digital printing) may be a great background, but not the best fit with a Digital Reader. I thought I would ask. I have a Fujitzu 1500 scanner, CS3 and CS4 Creative suite (with a pro edition of Acrobat), and a host of other tools at my disposal (PDF editing tools). I hoping to see if anyone can provide tips here. I am interested in your thoughts.

In the past I scanned for multiple future uses. It was the post scanning where I formatted to a specific end device (Offset and digitial print (CMYK and Pantone), web (RGB)). About 10 years ago I had a copydot scanner (Purup-Eskofot EskoScan 2024) that could scan in film negatives (large enough to hold 4 pages at a time (A4 or US Letter)) for digitization. That piece of equipment was over $100,000. That was a slow and laborious process, but it could scan, descreen (halftone dots) and resample for various output. I certainly do not miss those days. I think their is a great future for the digital readers.

Last edited by Linus; 07-04-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You might enjoy reading the wiki article Digitizing Paper Books to Ebooks which includes a link to the OCR article.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert