Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis
Post New Kindle Oasis 2017 on release day..

Since Amazon is back-ordered I got one from Bestbuy.. Here is what I found..

We know all the features and all of those are definite PROS.. I love them all..
Form factor/ Sleek Design/Text Invert/Bigger Screen/Audible..But what I did not found in some pre-release reviews are the CONS. Here are those. All my comparisons are against the mighty Kindle Paperwhite latest model.

1. Contrast: When you are in day light or brightly illuminated place its not that evident. But as soon as you step in a dark room you start seeing the difference. Contrast in Paperwhite is far better than in the Oasis 2. See attached picture. I know kindle is not for viewing images but that impacts reading as well. What I feel is the light on Paperwhite is more from the front than Oasis. Thus the content to some extent if getting washed out by the light making it lighter. Somehow the light in paperwhite is more contained on the screen that coming out. Seems like there is a layer of white on the images in OASIS 2. This would have been a deal breaker for me but only because of some of the awesome new features I am still considering it.

TOP OASIS BOTTOM PW:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4290.JPG
Views:	976
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	159743

2. Light distribution Due to the thin body below the screen Amazon had no other option other than having the lights vertically rather than at the bottom like in Paperwhite/Voyage.. This has a problem. Again only in dark.. However accurate the lighting is, in lower intensities it tends to illuminate the furthest part of the screen a tad bit lesser than the area closest to the light source, since lights are not present on both ends. So there is a ever so little gradient from white to yellow (from to away) from the light. Now this happens on paperwhite too but since the light is from bottom, when you are reading a line, on that line the relative illumination is same as the entire line is equally away from the light. But in Oasis the beginning of the line is closest/furthest from the lights and the end of the line closest/furthest (based on the way you hold), and this happens on every line again and again. So mentally you perceive or notice the lighting difference more on OASIS than in Kindle Paperwhite. Again this happens in dark condition not in bright areas.

3. For those who use Iphone with the sexy metal aluminium sleek body might know how slippery it can be at times. That was the first thing came to my mind when I heard that the new oasis will be full Aluminum body. However I noticed something re-assuring, in the initial pictures and videos I saw there is a strip of rubberized area on the chassis over the battery bump where you hold. I felt that would help. But somehow in the retail package the Oasis does not have it. See the below images I am referring to, few have it and the last one does not. Its not only pictures, I have seen real unboxing video having the grip. Amazon site has it both ways, the Oasis listing does not show the grip but if you go to the Official Case listing you will find in two of the pictures of the kindle they used, its there, may be some last moment decision change or cost cutting.

The grip:
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon-kindle-oasis-2017-review-4.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	159744Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon-kindle-oasis-2017-5.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	993.3 KB
ID:	159745

Cover images from Amazon deleted.

Hope these observations would be helpful for you to take decisions.. For the #1 point I really expected a better screen in dark as well for the price..I will think many times before letting my paperwhite go..but seems like that will happen as of now as the PROS outweigh above CONS.

*All images are properties of the respective owners. Only the first image is taken by me remaining are used for reference purposes only.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-09-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Oversize images thumbnailed or deleted.
Arjun1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Thanks for the impressions. Is your model the cellular version? If not, that would explain the lack of "grip" which really just might be the wireless antenna band like on the iPads..
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Indeed Arjun, back is way too slippery and I wish Amazon had kept the rubber grip.

Also, it seems that the leather case is not too secure.
Last evening trying to make the origami stand, it kept falling, the Oasis flew out and luckily landed on a stack of newspapers.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
Indeed Arjun, back is way too slippery and I wish Amazon had kept the rubber grip.

Last evening trying to make the origami stand, it kept falling, the Oasis flew out and luckily landed on a stack of newspapers.
A friend of mine said the case was hopeless for this reason, too. He said the Kindle keeps slipping down when the case is open.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The pics in the OP are huge...they mess up the whole page.

Ah, that’s better.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 11-01-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:

I wonder if the case is defective - I didn't have any problems with my case - it feels very secure.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Thanks for the impressions. Is your model the cellular version? If not, that would explain the lack of "grip" which really just might be the wireless antenna band like on the iPads..
That's exactly what it is (and my 32 3G has it).

Cellular signals can't get through metal, so a cutout is created in the case with a fill material in it (some sort of rubber, I guess) that can't exactly match the case material. The antenna goes behind that.

Some Apple laptops have this visible antenna cutout as well, though I believe it's in the hinge of my 2013 Air and in later MacBooks as well so it's well hidden. But you can't beat physics, so you'll be able to feel it no matter how well the designers covered it.

You can also see it in the "bands" on recent iPhones. The 7 and 8 did a better job of hiding the bands than the 6 did, but they're still there along the top and bottom edges.

Last edited by Buran; 11-01-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
That's exactly what it is (and my 32 3G has it).

Cellular signals can't get through metal, so a cutout is created in the case with a fill material in it (some sort of rubber, I guess) that can't exactly match the case material. The antenna goes behind that.

Some Apple laptops have this visible antenna cutout as well, though I believe it's in the hinge of my 2013 Air and in later MacBooks as well so it's well hidden. But you can't beat physics, so you'll be able to feel it no matter how well the designers covered it.

You can also see it in the "bands" on recent iPhones. The 7 and 8 did a better job of hiding the bands than the 6 did, but they're still there along the top and bottom edges.

That may be a blessing in disguise... I like that little rubber design and also helps you grip. But wont pay extra for that
Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Arjun1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1985 View Post
That may be a blessing in disguise... I like that little rubber design and also helps you grip. But wont pay extra for that
BTW what do you think does it help in grip or I am being a cry baby
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Arjun1985

Thanks for clarifying this point.. The Amazon reps told me that you may have got a wrong product .. They have no idea of their on stuff.. hahah
Old 11-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have not found any lighting variations. The screen on my 32gig wifi/3g is the most even I have ever had. No cones either.

The back is slippery but the rubber side helps. That said the cover on mine fits and holds beautifully and gives a very comfortable yet think hold.

I have not compared graphics on the screen but the text looks sharp and clear. That may be a per unit variation. Then again, I don't think that any e-reader has approached the limit of optimal sharpness and contrast.

Great reader so far (fingers crossed).
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
Arjun1985

Quote:

I ordered the fabric stand as i hope it would be lighter... hope amazon has considered that this Oasis is much heavier than than the previous one and the magnet needs to be stronger that holds the kindle and case...

However are you happy with the contrast?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
Arjun1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
I have not found any lighting variations. The screen on my 32gig wifi/3g is the most even I have ever had. No cones either.

The back is slippery but the rubber side helps. That said the cover on mine fits and holds beautifully and gives a very comfortable yet think hold.

I have not compared graphics on the screen but the text looks sharp and clear. That may be a per unit variation. Then again, I don't think that any e-reader has approached the limit of optimal sharpness and contrast.

Great reader so far (fingers crossed).
Did you check at brightness level 8 at night in perfectly dark room if you dont mind? I would change my unit if its just this one... The far end towards the thin edge is slightly darker than the other end on mine..
Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
deborakaye
deborakaye doesn't litterdeborakaye doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
My 32GB Oasis came last night. The screen lighting is better than my 2 Voyages and other older Kindles. I'm very pleased with it.

As for leather case, I've boxed it up to send back. My Oasis fell out of it twice within the first few hours of use.
deborakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #15
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:

yes to both of these. without a case it would be impossible to hold the new oasis--it does indeed feel like one of the previous iphone super-thin models which i literally couldn't hold.

but the cloth case i got slips off at awkward times as the magnet is not as strong as the one for the previous oasis. and forget the fold-over stand thing although i have no need for that anyway. i was thinking about returning the case to amazon and maybe trying a leather one, so it's not encouraging to hear they're no better. and one last dig at the case, being ocd/anal it bothers me no end that the amazon logo is upside down if i flip the oasis to left-hand button use.

having the micro-usb on the opposite end of the power button is another difference between the two models although i can live with it since i don't plug it in that often.

the touchscreen is quite a bit more sensitive, but it's as much as curse as a blessing as the very first thing i did when i took mine out of the box was to accidentally hit chinese for the language. and man did i get pissed off at every single search result telling me where to go to change it but not showing me what chinese characters to look for. i finally had to hold my nose and call amazon and the walked me through it by the numbers. the couple of alternate ways to return to factory settings didn't work.

it is quite a bit faster than the original and the paperwhite i had. on those when i dumped in a bunch of books at once they would literally vaporlock and it took days for them to index. this model remained very responsive and indexed nearly 2600 books in about 24 hours although i left it plugged in for about 12 hours.

i never use the touch screen if i can avoid it, so the subtle changes to the page buttons were appreciated. they're ever so slightly wider and have a shorter throw so they don't wiggle around as much if you don't come straight down on them.

compared to the smaller oasis, it's a true pain to hold even with a case. the extra weight tires your hand out and there's not much gripping surface on the non-button side and i triggered page turns every few minutes.

also, the only reason i updated was for the 32gb memory so i could store all my books--they wouldn't fit onto the 4gb oasis. i didn't need the size, the weight, the bluetooth, the audible or whatever features they were touting--all i needed was more memory. i like the smaller one so much better i think i might keep it and copy my current reading list to it although that sounds insane considering my whole library is on the bigger one. hopefully i'll come to grips (!) with the size eventually.

oh, the aluminum case is very nice indeed, but, as i noted, very very slick. and since there's no case protection for the bulge, i suspect it'll get scratched and ugly on the back in short order.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, oasis 2017, release 2017, review