Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
B&N botched things when they stopped allowing direct downloads.
I agree with the bit about B&N botched things when getting rid of direct downloads. But I think the Nook Simple Touch was one of the best eReaders ever made. I like its UI and its ergonomics. It's comfortable to hold and nice for reading.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:17 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I agree with the bit about B&N botched things when getting rid of direct downloads. But I think the Nook Simple Touch was one of the best eReaders ever made. I like its UI and its ergonomics. It's comfortable to hold and nice for reading.
Oh heck no. The nook STR is awful. The shape is not nice to hold. The UI is ghastly, the partitioned memory is an abomination, and it is no nice for reading because the font rendering engine was not all that good. When comparing the nook STR to my 650/T1, it looks like the nook is using a different font even though they are using the same font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #18
IvyR
IvyR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Nook Glowlight Plus
STR got rid of too much. It felt like a step backwards.

With the original, you used to get silly discounts, free cookies, that sort of thing. It was small, but it made the nook visible when everyone was pulling one out at the cafe. I can't tell you how many times that free cookie came with someone asking about the nook. That helped drive uptake. STR got rid of that.

With the original you had a few silly games. I think it was solitaire and chess. Might have been minesweeper. It was amusing, so it was a step back to get rid of it.

This was also the model they lost 3G with. A cost cutting move like that is bad when you're playing catch-up.

When they added a light, that was a huge step forward. When they made it a little waterproof kind of, that was a huge step forward. They innovated quite a lot. It's sad to see them exiting the arena.
IvyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
I still love my Nook Glowlight, so much so that when my last one was lost/stolen a few months ago, I got another on eBay (where they’re still pretty sought after, surprisingly - not unusual to see them go for more than £50). I like the shape of the Nook and the way it feels so comfortable to use, and I like that I can stick all my books on the SD card. When I look at the newer ereaders, they all look so blocky and don’t sit as comfortably in the hand. The Glowlight has a real "homely" feel to it, perfect for curling up in an armchair and reading - it sort of becomes invisible so that you forget you’re using an ereader.

Where I get very frustrated with B&N is that they’ve always had these great products, but then they go and screw it up with the most basic things, like not creating an easy to use sorting system, or not allowing you to download books. It’s as if they have this great technical/design department but a really crappy sales/marketing/everything else department. You can see how they could’ve been really successful but it’s like they didn’t want to bother.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The original Glowlight was made cheaply because the light layer was easily scratched.
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I really like both the Nook ST and Glo and still use them. It is nice to hold and the font has always been pleasant on my damaged eyes. I hated the book organization. I love the fact that I could archive books in the cloud to remove books I've read from that very long grid list. First, it was the inability to download my Books. Lately, I download a book and open it only to get a screen where I have to reenter my credit card to unlock the book! I will buy one more book from B&N to use up my credit. Why make it harder for me? Fortunately, I downloaded all my ebooks previously, removed DRM and stuck into Calibre, so I'm not out.

As to the ergonomics, I think it depends on how you hold stuff and the shape of your hand. Clearly it doesn't work for you, Jon. It didn't work so well with my late sister either which is why she didn't want to use it. My Mom liked it, but she needed a light and preferred a touch screen. There were grumblings then that B&N was dropping readers, so I got her a Paperwhite instead of a Glo.

edit: Rebooting to factory settings eliminated the unlock book problem.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-31-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The original Glowlight was made cheaply because the light layer was easily scratched.
That doesn't mean it was made "cheaply", it was just the first step in the evolution of what became the light guide layers used today. By the time others started using them 5 or 6 months later they had evolved to become more robust.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That doesn't mean it was made "cheaply", it was just the first step in the evolution of what became the light guide layers used today. By the time others started using them 5 or 6 months later they had evolved to become more robust.
Even if they weren't cheaply made, they were at least poorly made.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #24
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I really like both the Nook ST and Glo and still use them. It is nice to hold and the font has always been pleasant on my damaged eyes. I hated the book organization. I love the fact that I could archive books in the cloud to remove books I've read from that very long grid list. First, it was the inability to download my Books. Lately, I download a book and open it only to get a screen where I have to reenter my credit card to unlock the book! I will buy one more book from B&N to use up my credit. Why make it harder for me? Fortunately, I downloaded all my ebooks previously, removed DRM and stuck into Calibre, so I'm not out.
The Nook Simple Touch is great once you use NookManager to root it. I did that and then defaulted it to use FBReader, so that we can just use the FBReader book management, and download books directly from our calibre book library.
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh heck no. The nook STR is awful. The shape is not nice to hold. The UI is ghastly, the partitioned memory is an abomination, and it is no nice for reading because the font rendering engine was not all that good. When comparing the nook STR to my 650/T1, it looks like the nook is using a different font even though they are using the same font.
Obviously your opinion and mine differ widely on the merits of the NST. I like the feel of it, it is easy to hold, I like the side buttons and I like the UI (I keep it in the Library Mode). And the fonts are easy on my eyes. The Glowlight version is the only front-lit eReader that I can actually use.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I've had good luck with mine – even though (before I had a case) I dropped it to the hard floor from about six feet.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #27
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've had good luck with mine – even though (before I had a case) I dropped it to the hard floor from about six feet.
Same here - my first Glowlight lasted three years until it got a small scratch on the screen (and at the time I wasn’t using a cover, to be fair). And weirdly, even that somehow improved until six months later it was barely noticeable.

I actually find the Nook very robust, I think because of that thick bezel around the screen. Mine survived multiple drops onto hard wooden floors, which I’m pretty sure would’ve finished off my Kindle Keyboard (or at least led to yet another screen replacement), but which my Nook survived unscathed.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Nope, not really. Again, the screen that was somewhat easily damaged isn't an indicator that it was either cheaply or poorly made. It was a first stab at what would be the current types of frontlit screens we have today, it was refined and the ones that came out months later (Paperwhite, Glo) were better.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:26 AM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
This article:

http://www.cetusnews.com/tech/The-No...Jx70nJuo-.html

claims that B&N will be discontinuing all it's eReeaders, and only offer the Samsung branded devices.

I wonder what this means for their eBook store. Will they continue to support it?
That story is based on a misreading of Techcrunch's misreading of my story.
https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/...wn-towel-nook/

I'm fine with what I wrote, but a lot of people read it and got a very different message. I screwed up somehow.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
And the reason i dug up this thread was that the Nook Glowlight plus is out of stock:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/...ly-went-stock/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote