Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #16
Fred31416
Fred31416 began at the beginning.

Device: Desktop computer
It makes sense : my video card is too old. That's right, I got some difficulties with this card when I upgrade to windows 10 and finally got them solved. So I will continue to use Sigil with the 0.9.14 version.
Thank you very much for your help.
Fred31416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
it may be better to buy a newer card ( before other programs stop working ? )
with cards that old , there's always a risk that the next windows "feature upgrade" will not support it at all
what CPU do you have - does it have integrated graphics ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #18
Fred31416

The CPU is as old as the video card and has no integrated graphics, it is an AMD Sempron 140. This computer is working well but there is always a risk and at some point I will have to change it.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - that explains why you have that card
its not very cost effective to upgrade, because a basic win 10 compatible card like a radeon 710 or the AMD equivalent will cost you £30+ , unless you find a used bargain, that money would be better saved towards a new pc.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #20
Fred31416

Yes indeed. Thank you for the advice and the help.
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not a gamer at all. But these days, gaming hardware seems to be supported for a lot longer. So when I purchase hardware for my machines, I tend to buy stuff at the lower end of the gaming spectrum--if only for the longevity factor. My last PC build was 6 years ago and it's still going fairly strong. Many a Sigil release has been compiled with it! The only thing I've upgraded on it was the video card (it dropped into legacy support last year, I think). I went with the GeForce GTX 1050Ti (Gigabyte) to replace it.

I'm slow-planning my next development machine as we speak. I'm eyeballing something like the GTX 1660 Ti for that. When the time comes, that is.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #22
stumped
Wizard

in my experience it's the budget graphics ( not gaming) options that manufacturers quickly drop support for.
I bought a used a laptop with a basic AMD CPU and separate graphics chip and there was no working win 10 driver for it. the generic microsoft one kept crashing. I had to revert the device to windows 7 to make it workable. as it was a laptop, swapping out the graphics was not a practical option.
that 1660Ti will push to to buy a newer , bigger PSU probably. I also have the 1050ti single fan ITX mini card, in a DELL PC . A 1660Ti will not fit my case, or my wallet
Old 05-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
in my experience it's the budget graphics ( not gaming) options that manufacturers quickly drop support for.
That's what I said. That's why I recommend low-end gaming graphics.

I don't do small cases (or PSUs) when I build a new machine. I'm not looking for portable.

The 1660Ti is one the best bang-for-your-buck bargains around, in my opinion. But I digress...

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-08-2020 at 01:04 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote