Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't think so. I don't think you need the Sony Reader software at all, but you will need the PRS-505_Updater_xxxxx.exe application.

I asked the same question last December and was given a link to the firmware that no longer works...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325794

But I do have the file (fortunately). I think it's less than 19MB (I incorrectly wrote kilobytes, sorry.) I'll see if I can put it up on my Google Drive.

(PM sent.) I "compressed" the single file into a zip since some virus checkers don't like downloading .exe files.
Thanks man! Now I just need to find a mini-USB cord. We had a big cleanout right before Coronavirus and I tossed all of mine, figuring I didn't need them any longer.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks man! Now I just need to find a mini-USB cord. We had a big cleanout right before Coronavirus and I tossed all of mine, figuring I didn't need them any longer.
Yeah, I've given away a couple miniUSB cables in the last few months, figuring I could pick up more at the thrift stores.

I'm glad I picked up the Rocketfish Y-Cable that Richwood linked me to a couple years ago. At the time these were selling for under $5 (now the same eBay seller is getting $20 for them).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rocketf...0AAOSw~bVeUIe4

These are nice because they're well made and you can plug them into the charging port of your Sony Reader (as well as the miniUSB port, which seems to work better for charging). These were actually made for the Sony PSP game counsel, but the only difference is that the nose of the power supply is a bit longer than the PRS chargers were.

Here's one, that's supposedly new (but without retail packaging), that is selling for $9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocketfish-...740d%7Ciid%3A1

I guess they're getting rarer than they used to be.

Here's one (not Rocketfish) on Amazon Prime...

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Data-...7654621&sr=8-1

Here's another on Amazon (not Prime) that's $3 total (including shipping). This one was actually made the PRS, you'll notice it has a little shorter "snout."

https://www.amazon.com/Fenzer-Charge...7654696&sr=8-4

Last edited by rcentros; 04-24-2020 at 08:48 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #33
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
The Nook ST Glowlight and Kindle Touch, purchased in 2012, still work just fine and hold a charge. My Kobo Aura, purchased in 2013, also holds a charge and is good as new. The Nook GL was my favorite reader for many years and I still occasionally read a book with it.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #34
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
My Kobo Mini - eBay refurb - still works fine although the battery seems to die soon.

My very first reader was a Sony 505 which I gave away last year. Even though it hadn’t been powered on in years, it still worked and I could connect it to Calibre.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #35
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
No, I bought this PRS-500 used a few months ago — with several other eReaders in a Shop Goodwill "grab bag" of untested readers. I mostly bought the "grab bag" for a Kobo Aura HD. That one didn't work at first, but once I opened it up and re-seated the microSD card it's worked fine (I've used it quite a bit). The "grab bag" also included two PRS-505s (one with a broken screen, one is in great shape, pictured in an earlier post), a Kobo WiFi, a white Kobo Touch (works fine, but the battery doesn't hold a charge), a Sony PRS-600 and a PRS-900 (with lighted case) and three Literatis (which I haven't tested). These "grab bags" are mostly how I ended up with so many eReaders.

I've attached a couple images of the "grab bag" that was posted on Shop Goodwill. I originally thought the Kobo Aura HD was an original H2O.

It looks like the firmware on the PRS-500 was just slightly too old to support ePub (it does support Adobe DRM PDF). Firmware version 2.0.00 1425 1 (c) 2006-2009.) When I load an ePub on it, it just doesn't show up in the Menu.
Sony made some amazing ereaders. I wish they were still in the ereader game. I bet they would have some amazing frontlit ereaders nowadays if they were. That looks like a nice grab bag you snagged there, rcentros, I'm jealous.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #36
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Conve...s%2C136&sr=8-4
I've used these little micro to mini adaptors to charge my Sansa Clips. Not those specifically, I can't find the link for those, but that type.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Here's another on Amazon (not Prime) that's $3 total (including shipping). This one was actually made the PRS, you'll notice it has a little shorter "snout."

https://www.amazon.com/Fenzer-Charge...7654696&sr=8-4
$3 cable ordered
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #38
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I just checked and my PRS-900 Sony reader is still holding a charge for multiple weeks and working fine. Introduced the same year as the Kindle 1. BTW rcentros, it was me, Richwood who posted about the Rocketfish cable rather than Richmond. As I recall you posted a thank you at the time. Cable still works great and I still have a second one that remains unopened.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I just checked and my PRS-900 Sony reader is still holding a charge for multiple weeks and working fine. Introduced the same year as the Kindle 1. BTW rcentros, it was me, Richwood who posted about the Rocketfish cable rather than Richmond. As I recall you posted a thank you at the time. Cable still works great and I still have a second one that remains unopened.
I'm sorry. I thought I checked that. It's corrected and bolded now. My apologies.

It's a great cable and it was really great at $4 (although I think it had already creeped up a little in price when I bought mine – or maybe it was right after I bought mine). I thank you again for that link. I use that cable all the time. I can charge two of the old Sonys (or other old miniUSB eReaders) at once using it.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Sony made some amazing ereaders. I wish they were still in the ereader game. I bet they would have some amazing frontlit ereaders nowadays if they were. That looks like a nice grab bag you snagged there, rcentros, I'm jealous.
Completely agree with you about Sony's quality (and innovation). I don't know what they did differently, but batteries just seem to last a LOT longer in Sony readers. And these feel good in your hand.

As for the Shop Goodwill eReader "grab bags" – they normally come up fairly regularly (everything has slowed down on the site right now because of the virus). I've gotten a couple of these "grab bags" for the minimum bid as no one else was interested (but not with the one above, I think there were two or three of us who wanted the Kobo Aura HD).
Old 04-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #41
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Conve...s%2C136&sr=8-4
I've used these little micro to mini adaptors to charge my Sansa Clips. Not those specifically, I can't find the link for those, but that type.
S
Unfortunately the old Sony readers with a USB Mini interface and a round bayonet style charger interface connector cannot be charged through the USB Mini connector. Same for the Kindle 1. I have tried on both.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #42
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Unfortunately the old Sony readers with a USB Mini interface and a round bayonet style charger interface connector cannot be charged through the USB Mini connector. Same for the Kindle 1. I have tried on both.
Are you talking about all of the old Sony readers in general, or yours in particular? I've always charged my PRS-505 via the mini-USB interface, so I'm confused by your statement.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Are you talking about all of the old Sony readers in general, or yours in particular? I've always charged my PRS-505 via the mini-USB interface, so I'm confused by your statement.
I was going to say, mine charge fine with a miniUSB cable. But I have noticed that some seem to need the "round bayonet" port when they're completely dead to get them going again. And I try to use a power supply that's has a higher amperage (like a tablet) charger, rather than a small smartphone charger.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #44
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
You see a decent number of Kindle Keyboards, which were discontinued like almost 7 years ago, still in use around here
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #45
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've still got 4 Sony 350 readers that all work from 2010 and 2011. I don't use them anymore, but I do charge them periodically to keep the batteries from dying. I could part with the 2 silver ones, but I doubt they'd be worth much. I had friends in Denmark and the UK grab 2 blue ones, and those I won't ever part with. If they had built-in front lights, I'd still be using them, I loved everything about that reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote