Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
FW 5.9.6.1 Software Jailbreak for PW3

Big to coplate, knc1, NiLuJe, Branch Delay, et. al. without whom this wouldn't be possible.

This jailbreak method only works for PW3/Paperwhite 3/Paperwhite (2015)/Paperwhite (7th generation) running firmware 5.9.6.1 or older.

This does NOT work on firmware 5.9.7, 5.10.1.1, 5.10.2 or newer.

This does NOT work on the PW2/Paperwhite 2/Paperwhite (2013)/Paperwhite (6th generation). This does NOT work on any Kindle aside from the PW3.

I'm copying most of knc1's instructions from the PW3-4, PW3-32, fw-5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak as the steps are more or less the same.

Note, for extracting the packages on Windows, I recommend 7-Zip.

Tested working on both new and OTA updated PW3 running firmware 5.9.6.1 or older. Initial testing was performed on a brand new, out-of-the-box Paperwhite 3 with 5.9.6.1. For OTA updated PW3, tested on both 5.9.2 and 5.9.6.1.

There is always a chance that you could brick your device. Use at your own risk.

Instructions
You should block any OTA updates before allowing the device to connect to the Internet.
To prevent OTA updates, add the OTA blocker directory (folder) name to the top level of visible USB storage.
The blocker directory is named: update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension, no contents.

Instructions are the same as on wiki unless specified:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

Read the above cautions and take note of the warnings on the wiki.
Read the current jailbreak, with the exceptions you decide to make based on the above cautions, skip to step #4.

Step #3-4:
Download and use this file:
update_pw3_5.9.6.1_factory.bin
https://mega.nz/#!X64DxSQQ!QPblu51AG...HOKO3PtuKvKvMk
https://jino.cloud/s/xFjJmLyJ9fkxcae/ (mirror thanks to hius07)
md5: a5460e698a531c7770ba2b1ac31667b0
This will "update" ("update" is the label on the button, not the action) your firmware from "customer" to "factory" 5.9.6.1. This process can take several minutes (should be less than 1 hour, though).
Note: If you get an UPDATE ERROR: 16 message, try installing customer firmware 5.9.6.1 first, then try again with the factory firmware.

Step #5:
Same as wiki.
To be safe, use the latest version of main-htmlviewer.tar.gz from NiLuJe's Snapshots thread.
As of last edit, that's:On Windows, you'll probably first need to extract kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar.xz to get the tar file and then extract the resulting kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar to get the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file. Then just follow instructions on the wiki.
Note: You'll probably need to do this double extraction for all packages from NiLuJe's Snapshots referenced later in this post.

Step #6:
Same steps as wiki, use this file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597

Step #7:
Install "customer" firmware build. You probably can't downgrade below 5.9.6.1. If you want to play it safe, I believe sticking to 5.9.6.1 will keep this jb method open:
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.6.1.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.7.bin
Note: No need to install both, just choose one.

Step #8:
Install MRPI and KUAL. This is pretty much the same method as PW4. A bit trickier compared to 5.8.x since Amazon dropped Kindlet support (azw2 document).
  1. Download the latest MRPI package from NiLuJe's Snapshots thread and (double) extract.
    As of writing:
  2. Copy the extensions and mrpackages folders to the Kindle root (alongside the documents folder).
  3. Download coplate's KUALBooklet build (KUALBooklet-coplate-78183a5-20181209.zip or whatever the latest version is) and extract.
  4. Copy Update_KUALBooklet_78183a5_install.bin (or whatever the latest version is) to the mrpackages folder on the Kindle.
  5. (Optional) You can also copy the various update*.bin KUAL Add-On packages to the mrpackages folder for installation at this point (e.g. python, linkss/screensaver, etc).
  6. Eject and unplug the Kindle.
  7. Enter ;log mrpi in the Homescreen's searchbar (in a similar fashion as what you had to do during the Jailbreak), and wait for MRPI to do its thing.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-26-2019 at 10:34 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
herske
herske began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you! It works great on a PW3, with 5.9.2 firmware, very clear guide.

I never thought I would see my PW3 jailbroken
herske is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Loyd
Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Loyd My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Big to coplate, knc1, NiLuJe, Branch Delay, et. al. without whom this wouldn't be possible.

I'm copying most of knc1's instructions from the PW3-4, PW3-32, fw-5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak as the steps are more or less the same.

Note, for extracting the packages on Windows, I recommend 7-Zip.

Tested working on both new and OTA updated PW3 running firmware 5.9.6.1 or older. Initial testing was performed on a brand new, out-of-the-box Paperwhite 3 with 5.9.6.1. For OTA updated PW3, tested on both 5.9.2 and 5.9.6.1.

There is always a chance that you could brick your device. Use at your own risk.

Instructions
You should block any OTA updates before allowing the device to connect to the Internet.
To prevent OTA updates, add the OTA blocker directory (folder) name to the top level of visible USB storage.
The blocker directory is named: update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension, no contents.

Instructions are the same as on wiki unless specified:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak
Note: On fresh, out of the box Kindles, don't factory reset.

Read the above cautions and take note of the warnings on the wiki.
Read the current jailbreak, with the exceptions you decide to make based on the above cautions, skip to step #4.

Step #3-4:
Download and use this file:
update_pw3_5.9.6.1_factory.bin
https://mega.nz/#!X64DxSQQ!QPblu51AG...HOKO3PtuKvKvMk
https://jino.cloud/s/xFjJmLyJ9fkxcae/ (mirror thanks to hius07)
md5: a5460e698a531c7770ba2b1ac31667b0
This will "update" ("update" is the label on the button, not the action) your firmware from "customer" to "factory" 5.9.6.1. This process can take several minutes (should be less than 1 hour, though).

Step #5:
Same as wiki.
To be safe, use the latest version of main-htmlviewer.tar.gz from NiLuJe's Snapshots thread.
As of writing, that's:On Windows, you'll probably first need to extract kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar.xz to get the tar file and then extract the resulting kindle-jb-factory-1.2-r15011.tar to get the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file. Then just follow instructions on the wiki.
Note: You'll probably need to do this double extraction for all packages from NiLuJe's Snapshots referenced later in this post.

Step #6:
Same steps as wiki, use this file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597

Step #7:
Install "customer" firmware build. You probably can't downgrade below 5.9.6.1. If you want to play it safe, I believe sticking to 5.9.6.1 will keep this jb method open:
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.6.1.bin
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.7.bin

Step #8:
Install MRPI and KUAL. This is pretty much the same method as PW4. A bit trickier compared to 5.8.x since Amazon dropped Kindlet support (azw2 document).
  1. Download the latest MRPI package from NiLuJe's Snapshots thread and (double) extract.
    As of writing:
  2. Copy the extensions and mrpackages folders to the Kindle root (alongside the documents folder).
  3. Download coplate's KUALBooklet build (KUALBooklet-coplate-d20a095-20181108.zip) and extract.
  4. Copy Update_KUALBooklet_d20a095_install.bin to the mrpackages folder on the Kindle.
  5. (Optional) You can also copy the various update*.bin KUAL Add-On packages to the mrpackages folder for installation at this point (e.g. python, linkss/screensaver, etc).
  6. Eject and unplug the Kindle.
  7. Enter ;log mrpi in the Homescreen's searchbar (in a similar fashion as what you had to do during the Jailbreak), and wait for MRPI to do its thing.
Hello,

Can I do that for my PW3 under 5.9.7 ?
Thank you
Loyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyd View Post
Hello,

Can I do that for my PW3 under 5.9.7 ?
Thank you
Sorry, nope. Only works for 5.9.6.1 or lower.

You could try but it will probably just delete the update*.bin with the message that it's incompatible or corrupted.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
I would add that US English should be chosen after reset.
The language can be changed later after applying the factory firmware.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
I would add that US English should be chosen after reset.
The language can be changed later after applying the factory firmware.
I do wonder if this is a necessary precaution. Granted, I always use US English because I'm in the US so I've never tested with another language.

Mind, I installed factory 5.9.6.1 on an unregistered PW3 running OTA updated 5.9.2 without resetting and that worked fine. Had about 400 books, iirc.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately we've got a couple of bricked devices installing factory 5.8.9.0.1 over the Russian systems.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Unfortunately we've got a couple of bricked devices installing factory 5.8.9.0.1 over the Russian systems.
Sure but we don't know the actual reason for the brick. I have a brick using 5.8.9.0.1 with US English.

I think 5.9.6.1 is probably more forgiving. Since it's most likely the last firmware installed in the factory prior to the PW3's discontinuation, it probably has better support for various hardware/motherboard revisions.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, I'd be more inclined to believe in weird locale-specific stuff on CJK locales, but not for Cyrillic .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
voratio
voratio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi everyone!

It's good to be back in a way. Even though I made an account only today, I used to read these forums a lot, when I had a Kindle Touch a few years ago. It still works like a charm with many hacks from this community. Thank you!

I now have a new Kindle Paperwhite 3 in the following configuration:

PW3 4GB WiFi-only (G090 G1)
Manufactured: August 2018
Firmware version it came with: 5.9.6.1
Special Offers: Yes

What I've done so far:
  • After turning it on for the first time, I selected US English as language, cancelled connecting to WiFi and skipped the rest of the initial setup.
  • Created the OTA update blocker directory "update.bin.tmp.partial".
  • Connected to WiFi and registered with Amazon.
  • Copied 2-3 sideloaded books on it and while it was still online, the Kindle managed to download all books from my Amazon account (around 25-30).
  • WiFi has been off after that.
  • (a few days later) Jumped with joy, when I saw that there is now a software jailbreak vector for my firmware version.
After reading the comments in the big jailbreak thread from the comment where this was originally posted, the instructions here and in the jailbreak Wiki, I'm aware of what to do in general, but I still have a few questions on how best to proceed in my case:
  1. Reading the comments that reported success, I noticed a pattern that they were all unregistered at the time of flashing the factory firmware (either as a consequence of resetting first or because they had never been registered in the first place). Should I unregister the Kindle before doing anything else (regardless of having to reset or not)?
  2. The instructions here say to avoid resetting a fresh, out-of-the-box Kindle and those in the wiki say to perform a factory reset (in Step 2). Taking into consideration, what I've done so far with it (and that there are books on it and the indexer would have populated its DB), does my Kindle still count as a fresh one or should I reset it first?
  3. Almost all success stories so far mention their devices were without Special Offers and mine has them. Could this play a negative role at some point? Should I remove them before trying anything?

To sum it up, I'm unclear whether, in my situation, I should:
  • Unregister -> Reset -> Flash Factory Firmware -> ...
  • Reset -> Flash Factory Firmware -> ...
  • (jump straight to) Flash Factory Firmware -> ...
voratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

@voratio
Always best to remove Special Offers before you jailbreak.

To be honest, the no-reset thing was mentioned as a precaution as the older, unsigned FB02 factory firmware packages might not work after a reset. The 5.7.4 and 5.8.9.0.1 factory firmwares don't work at all with OTA updated PW3 with 5.8.8 or higher so we needed to be extra careful with those.

Since the factory fw 5.9.6.1 has been been successfully tested with OTA updated firmware, that warning can be ignored (on an iPad right now but I'll edit it out when I'm on desktop).

The cautious approach is:
Unregister -> Reset -> Flash Factory Firmware -> ...

That said, I'm guessing this will probably work as well:
(jump straight to) Flash Factory Firmware -> ...

Remember to give it time to sync after removing Special Offers before you unregister if you go with the first option.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-04-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #12
hius07
Wizard

For registered devices I would recommend to Reset before flashing factory firmware (no need to Deregister before Reset).
SO have no effect, as we can summarize.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
SO have no effect, as we can summarize.
Technically, we don't know that for sure as it hasn't been tested yet.

For PW3 and newer, SO status appears to get established upon registration with Amazon. Unregistered, factory fresh PW3s are essentially non-SO. The SO status may or may not get wiped out with a reset (I have no idea where SO information is kept).
Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #14
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Technically, we don't know that for sure as it hasn't been tested yet.
Yes, just experience, almost all the devices in our area are with SO.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:25 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Yes, just experience, almost all the devices in our area are with SO.
Question is were they jailbroken in fresh out-of-the-box state (ergo, still in non-SO status) or was it performed after registration? As far as I can tell, SO only kicks in after a device is registered.

The most recent jailbreak exploits have been for brand new Kindles straight from factory so I don't think there are plenty of (if any) recent examples that have been jailbroken with SO already active.

I myself have jailbroken 3x PW4 SO and 2x PW3 SO but the jailbreak was performed with all devices unregistered with SO inactive.

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak