Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #376
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #377
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
That was before they supersized all drinks. (And many of our tummies)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #378
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
That was before they supersized all drinks. (And many of our tummies)
For sure. When I watched part of it, I was thinking how small those drinks were.

I never cared for drive-ins, I preferred the walk-in variety. I remember as a kid going out with friends early Saturday mornings with a wagon collecting pop bottles. When we had enough bottles to cover admission and snacks for everyone, we cashed the bottles in and headed for the theater.

Once there, we'd get popcorn, candy, and a drink. Then we'd settle down in the back rows or sometimes the balcony. We'd usually see sci-fi or westerns and loved it when it was a double feature. There'd be a newsreel, a cartoon, a serial, coming attractions, and then the movie. Sometimes we'd stay and watch it again.

Did we ever sneak anyone in because we were short on money for admission?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #379
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I loved the drive ins, it was much easier to get a cooler full of adult beverages into a drive in than a walk in.

And when I had a mini motorhome with a back picture window and a refrigerator it was even better.

Spoiler:
Not to mention the bed!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #380
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I loved the drive ins, it was much easier to get a cooler full of adult beverages into a drive in than a walk in.

And when I had a mini motorhome with a back picture window and a refrigerator it was even better.

Spoiler:
Not to mention the bed!
Your spoiler made monkey blush

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-24-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: you --> your
Advert
Old 09-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #381
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
In high school my girlfriend and I would borrow my parents nine passenger station wagon to go to the drive-in.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #382
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

American Bandstand Top 10 - 20 Sep 1969

10: Hurt So Bad - Lettermen
09: Get Together - Youngbloods
08: Jean - Oliver
07: Sugar, Sugar - Archies
06: Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan
05: I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations
04: I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Tom Jones
03: Easy To Be Hard - Three Dog Night
02: Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones
01: Green River - Credence Clearwater Revival (CCR)

This was 50 years ago this week and I was a senior in high school at the time. My favorite songs on this list are "Green River" and "Get Together". "Easy To Be Hard" and "Honky Tonk Women" are okay, but the rest of the songs belonged in the trash; especially Sugar, Sugar.

My favorite groups in the 60's are the Kinks, Yardbirds, Beatles, Animals, Doors, and CCR. The 70's saw me getting more into hard rock, prog rock, and heavy metal. Today, my two favorite genres are hard rock and alternative (esp grunge) and my favorite groups are the Kinks, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Soundgarden, Yardbirds, and Led Zeppelin. I still like the others, but they're further down the list. I never liked the Who and the Stones were good when they first started. But as time went on, they got worse. By the end of the 60's, I stopped listening to their new material altogether.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-25-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #383
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Sugar, Sugar - Archies (and also Dizzy - Tommy Roe) were the first 45s I ever bought. So I disagree with your critique. However, I do prefer other songs from this lineup, now!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #384
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I like popcorn, too. But this guy creeps me out a little bit.

cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #385
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

1980 Eruption of Mount St Helens

Talk about a blast from the past! I remember that Sunday morning. I went outside and watched the ash column rise high into the atmosphere. I was recently discharged from the Army, so I never had a chance to do any backpacking there before it erupted. When I finally had a chance to visit the mountain, my jaw dropped at the devastation the eruption had caused. Since then, I've made many a trip there.

Quote:
An earthquake at 8:32:11 a.m. PDT (UTC−7) on Sunday, May 18, 1980, caused the entire weakened north face to slide away, creating the largest landslide recorded. This allowed the partly molten, high-pressure gas- and steam-rich rock in the volcano to suddenly explode northwards toward Spirit Lake in a hot mix of lava and pulverized older rock, overtaking the avalanching face.

An eruption column rose 80,000 feet (24 km; 15 mi) into the atmosphere and deposited ash in 11 U.S. states and significant ash in two Canadian provinces. At the same time, snow, ice and several entire glaciers on the volcano melted, forming a series of large lahars (volcanic mudslides) that reached as far as the Columbia River, nearly 50 miles (80 km) to the southwest. Less severe outbursts continued into the next day, only to be followed by other large, but not as destructive, eruptions later that year. Thermal energy released during the eruption was equal to 26 megatons of TNT.

Approximately 57 people were killed directly, including innkeeper Harry R. Truman, photographers Reid Blackburn and Robert Landsburg, and geologist David A. Johnston. Hundreds of square miles were reduced to wasteland, causing over $1 billion in damage (equivalent to $3.4 billion in 2019), thousands of animals were killed, and Mount St. Helens was left with a crater on its north side.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #386
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Old 05-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #387
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Wow! I was living in Pullman, WA when it went off. The ash stayed in place forever!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #388
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Wow! I was living in Pullman, WA when it went off. The ash stayed in place forever!
And thanks to the wind gods, we pretty much escaped the ash.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:25 AM   #389
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Old 12-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #390
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Was scrolled up a bit and saw a lot of the talk of telephone numbers.

And I somehow feel old at times when I can say I remember when you only had to dial 7 digits to make a local call.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote