Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
New method for Page Turn remote [ I need development help ]

I have a plan for a new version of the page turn remote, that would not require a smartphone and the buttons.

My idea would be to use the ESP8266 in AP mode ( hotspot ), so that my kindle can connect to it, and then using buttons on the ESP8266, send the page turn commands to the kindle.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...-ap-web-server

Things that I need and want
  1. A Jailbroken PW3 qith KUAL ( check )
  2. pageturnd, a c program to listen on a port and turn the page. ( check )
  3. A Package that can install my pageturnd, and a KUAL extension to start/stop ( in-progress: kindletool )
  4. an ESP8266 with software that can send the page turn messages to he kindle ( check )
  5. A nice case ( later )

If the ESP8266 was capable of ssh, I could just send the commands over that, but it is not.
Alternatively to point 2 or ssh, I could set up telnetd as well I imagine, but I think it would be nice if the package could have the code to tell if it should use libxdo, or the keyboard, for the different kindles.

The xdotool I am using I got from twobob's post at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=162022&page=3

For some reason, I just cannot figure out from all the threads how to get a crosscompiler and all the dependent libraries set up.

What I am asking for help on:
I need an environment where I can cross compile. Simply download arm-non-eabi-gcc does not get me all the headers I need, and certainly not the libraries that I would need to link to.

And this is what I think I really need help with. I'm trying to figure out all the different setups people use, and its just crossing wires in my head.

For example, the ext3 file in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...46&postcount=6

And then the following says to install "Debian Wheezy via GRIP" and I have no idea what GRIP is, or what effect this will have on my kindle.

If anyone possibly has a step-by-step setup for getting started on the compilers ('m on window ), even if it starts with "Install a debian virtual machine, then do ...", I would be so happy.

Edit Step-by-step so far:
0: ubuntu vm and run the apt commands at the bottom
1: Jailbreak kindle
2: git clone https://github.com/NiLuJe/crosstool-ng/ (( the snapshot didnt have the configure and bootstrap - or I hadnt installed all the required dependencies yet ))
3: ./bootstrap
3: ./configure --enable-local
4: ./ct-ng arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi
5: ./ct-ng build
6: ~/x-tools/arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi-gcc pageturnd.c -o pageturnd
7: scp pageturnd.c <kindleIP>:.
Done.

Dependencies installed with apt for crosstools-ng ( and some other scripts, but I couldnt back them all out )
sudo apt-get install autoconf
sudo apt-get install awk
sudo apt-get install bison
sudo apt-get install cmake
sudo apt-get install crosstool
sudo apt-get install crosstool-ng
sudo apt-get install flex
sudo apt-get install gawk
sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get install glibtool
sudo apt-get install gperf
sudo apt-get install help2man
sudo apt-get install joe
sudo apt-get install libncurses
sudo apt-get install libncurses-dev
sudo apt-get install libtool
sudo apt-get install libtool-bin
sudo apt-get install linbcurses
sudo apt-get install linbcurses-dev
sudo apt-get install make
sudo apt-get install makeinfo
sudo apt-get install svn
sudo apt-get install svn2cl
sudo apt-get install texinfo
sudo apt-get install transifex-client

Last edited by coplate; 07-20-2016 at 11:44 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If you are in the US:
here is the ESP
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13678
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I build cross-toolchains with ct-ng. The full configs and gory details are in the x-tc tarball at the bottom of my snapshots.

@houqp used this to build a more portable script for KOReader.

Targeting the PW3 is much less trouble than targeting older stuff, so, that's a good news for you .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
how about trying to make use of amazon's bluetooth attachment? that seems like a nice idea i think!
anyway good luck
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
how about trying to make use of amazon's bluetooth attachment? that seems like a nice idea i think!
anyway good luck
For a PW-3 ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NiLuJe

So I've got a copy of both the x-tc tarball, and a clone of your crostool-ng git repo, but I'm lost again.

The first thing I tries was just the x-compile in the snapshot, and it tell me that arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi-gcc is not installed.

So then I try to build whats in the github repo, and it builds. But it looks like I'm supposed to feed some of the config files from your snapshot into it, and I'm not sure how to do that.

Edit - I just found the line in https://github.com/NiLuJe/crosstool-...0toolchain.txt that says how to use a config

Last edited by coplate; 07-18-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The tree also bundles samples, so, you can just use that, too (however samples are supposed to be used with ct-ng, can't recall OTOH ^^. It's something trivial around make, IIRC).

EDIT: According to my shell history, possibly even simpler than that: ct-ng arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi
Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #8
coplate
Guru

I had to install a lot of libraries, and If I could export my bash history from this ubuntu image, I'll get them, for future users.

so after readign this
http://crosstool-ng.org/
and running ct-ng list-samples
I ran:
>ct-ng arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi

and get Now configured for arm-kindlepw2-linux-gnueabi

Then I ran
>ct-ng build

now its building stuff that takes a long time - 14 minutes and counting ( most time on "installing pass-1 core C gcc compiler " )
[[ 39:48 minutes on my VM ]]
My next step for full integration would be to figure out the kindletool

it looks like the instructions at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ustom_packages gives this sample:
>kindletool create ota2 -d k5w -d k5g -d k5gb run.sh data.tar.gz update_custom_script.bin

Its not clear to me what will happen with run.sh and data.tar.gz

will it make a bin file that always runs the first command, or is there somethign else I'm missing?

Edit: I see the comment now
>> In case of OTA updates, all files with the extension ".ffs" or ".sh" will be treated as update scripts.

Will it run those in any given order, or do they need to be in the top level or ..?

Last edited by coplate; 07-19-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
coplate
Guru

And Success - Hello world compiles and runs on my kindle.

And this socket tutorial works too - all the network headers are good.

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix_s...er_example.htm

Looks like all I Need now is to wait for the ESP8266 in the mail.

Last edited by coplate; 07-19-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@coplate: Yeah, a TC build takes roughly 30 min on my buildbox (vs. much, much less on my desktop).

And yeah, you probably need a more-or-less complete build envrionment (with static libraries, which might still be an issue for Arch users).
Gentoo here, so, that usually completely skips my mind .

You can take a look at kindletool help for the full details, but basically you should be good with
$ kindletool create ota2 -d kindle5 <input> <output>

Or a more fine-grained set of devices, since with that TC binaries won't run on devices earlier than the PW2.

As for whatever you feed to it as input, it behaves like tar by default. Scripts (.sh/.ffs) get flagged as update scripts, and are run in alphabetical order by the updater (no matter where they are, although I don't recall anyone ever trying putting them somewhere else than top level).

On those devices, the updater always cleans up after itself, so you don't really have to care about that in your install script. (It extracts the package in a temp directory that gets wiped on exit).

I have a set of helper stuff for logging & progress handling in update scripts (libotautils5). It's bundled with basically any of my stuff. While I used to recommend the dummy package as an example, basically any of 'em will do .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-19-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
coplate
Guru

Ok, one last update before I focus on cleaning everything up.

I have got the esp8266 connected to the same wifi as the kindle.

I have written the lua for it to send a page turn even to my port running on the kindle.

I had to open iptables on that port on the wlan interface.

Next step will be getting a case for it, with two buttons for forwards/back.

I ended up with the adafruit model available at my local microcenter: mfg link: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2821
Old 07-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #12
coplate
Guru

and project in fully functional state, I'mma get all my code onto github, for people to see ( it is not pretty ), and Im still looking for a better case, and to make a KUAL extension. - And package the xdotool library with it.

But it works!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #13
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
nice to see you are making good progress coplate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
For a PW-3 ?
oops, from your reply I assume it doesn't support pw3, my mistake.

Last edited by zxczxc; 07-21-2016 at 04:01 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #14
ChronosHD
ChronosHD began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Is the pageturnd code available? I would experiment with it, my touchscreen is dead, so I´m looking for a workaround to still use the kindle somehow.
ChronosHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #15
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronosHD View Post
Is the pageturnd code available? I would experiment with it, my touchscreen is dead, so I´m looking for a workaround to still use the kindle somehow.
I cannot find the code for this anymore, but do you already have the kindle jailbroken and can ssh/telnet into it?

If so, There was another project that inspired this, that used an android phone on wifi to do the same thing, I can poke around and try to find that too.

Edit: here was the original:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...hlight=xdotool

what his android app did is SSH into the kindle, and then run 'xdotool' to issue a touch at a certian point that woudl change the page.

The app I wrote was a little different.
It lived on the kindle as a service that was always running ( started with kual ), and then you had to send certain letters to it over telnet to get it to change pages.

Last edited by coplate; 04-12-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Tags
cross-compile, pageturnd