Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #361
vranger
vranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
It's not an icon, it is verbiage "Manage Collections". It is on the toolbar, but grayed out and non-responsive. Yes, the Kindle is plugged in and recognized by Calibre.

It sounds like your last note may be the key to the issue, though.

Maybe I should try installing the Win7 version of Calibre and see what happens there.
vranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #362
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@vranger: Ah. That's not a plugin, that's... something in Calibre that has no bearings on Kindles, which is probably why it's grayed out .

(And, no, definitely don't downgrade to Calibre 3.x, that's not the problem here, and will only make you more confused).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-14-2020 at 09:39 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #363
ArcensLay
ArcensLay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hello all,

I got a problem with the Plugin which may be the result of the default python version change on my system. I'm running a Debian Bullseye ("Testing") which uses Python 3.7.7 as defaullt while before it was as far as I remember Python 2.X.

The Plugin did not show the icon on start which may be related to the previous posts. It simply did not load the plugin due to an error in the utilities.py file line 39

Code:
print debug_text
which causes Python to throw an error due to the missing brackets. I changed it to

Code:
print (debug_text)
After this the plugin was shown in my calibre again. I guess this should be an easy fix as python 2 also supports this version of print as far as I remember.

Then I tried to change some plugin settings which resulted in an error (happens on any window as far as I could concern)

Code:
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'str' object has no attribute 'decode'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.ui", line 152, in preview_kindle_collections
  File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.ui", line 196, in show_version
  File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.utilities", line 38, in debug_print
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'decode'
If I commented those line out (as it clearly was only related to decoding the debug output which did not need decoding) I tried again and ran into the following error

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.customize", line 365, in kindle_model_changed
TypeError: '>=' not supported between instances of 'NoneType' and 'int'
I am not sure why this happens but I saw it was related to version detection of Kindle Touch and Paperwhite (which I don't use) so I thought I could try to circumvent it for the moment to get it working at least.

So I comment those lines (L 365 to 370 in customize.py) out the plugin shows the windows again.

Now I changed one value in the configuration window and closed/saved it which results in another Error Popup

Code:
ERROR: Kindle Collections: Not saving customizations due to unexpected errors.
This happens in customize.py line 388 as far as I could conclude as this line seems to kill the try block.

Code:
if not cfg.validate_configuration(self.get_custom_window_table_data(), self.get_custom_window_ignore_all()):
I think the problem is with getting the table data but I did not want to muddle through any more than I already did and decided to report the problem here.

Does anybody know how to proceed?

My System Info
Spoiler:

Debian "Bullseye" adm64
GNOME Version: 3.36.2
Windowing System: Wayland

calibre 4.99.5 embedded-python: False is64bit: True
Linux-5.6.0-1-amd64-x86_64-with-glibc2.29 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.6.0-1-amd64', '#1 SMP Debian 5.6.7-1 (2020-04-29)')
Python 3.8.3
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24)
ArcensLay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #364
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ArcensLay:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
This plugin will not (and may never, since I haven't actually used this in years, and it may be non-trivial to port, and I'm lazy) support the Python 3 builds.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #365
ArcensLay

Quote:
@ArcensLay:
Well seems I didn't read all the previous posts with the needed intensity, sorry for that.

Sadly this will make the Plugin unusable within this year
Advert
Old 05-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #366
vranger
vranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Unfortunately I didn't come up with a more technical solution. I found a laptop that I hadn't fired up for the last year with a 32 bit Calibre installed, and it was a sufficiently backdated release to be able to install the Collections plug-in and have it work as intended.

That was a big relief, since I keep a substantial inventory of books on my DX's, and three pages of Collections. As anyone with experience knows, that is exceptionally unwieldy to maintain on the device itself.
vranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #367
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released 1.7.25!

Thanks to @ArcensLay, this *should* behave more-or-less correctly on Python 3.

The various compatibility shenanigans to keep it functional on Python 2 means the minimum Calibre version required is now 3.42.0.

This has mainly been tested on Linux, with either Calibre 4.18 or 4.99.5.
I expect stuff to blow up in fun and interesting ways on Windows and/or custom crappy Py3 Calibre builds.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #368
madame_newbie
Connoisseur
madame_newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 | Kindle Paperwhite 3
I ran into an issue with 1.7.25. When I installed it and restarted it removed the icon that I had placed in my toolbar. I cannot access this plugin. I have tried removing and installing again but still no icon for quick access. I even went to preference > toolbars & menus and checked all the options but the usual icon for Kindle Collections is missing.

It does state that it it installed, when I check the Plugins under pref but I cannot access it.

Edit: I even tried to see if I can hotkey the plugin but it's not available under shortcuts either.
madame_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #369
ArcensLay

@madame_newbie what calibre version, python version and operating system do you use?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #370
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@madame_newbie: What @ArcensLay said, and I'll add a request for the log from the startup of a *debug* Calibre session if your answer includes running Calibre >= 3.42.0.

(c.f., the tail end of https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ing-on-windows for instructions on how to run Calibre in debug mode).
Old 06-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #371
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madame_newbie View Post
I ran into an issue with 1.7.25. When I installed it and restarted it removed the icon that I had placed in my toolbar. I cannot access this plugin. I have tried removing and installing again but still no icon for quick access. I even went to preference > toolbars & menus and checked all the options but the usual icon for Kindle Collections is missing.

It does state that it it installed, when I check the Plugins under pref but I cannot access it.

Edit: I even tried to see if I can hotkey the plugin but it's not available under shortcuts either.
If you are running Calibre 3.42 or later, go to the Preferences and add the icon back on the toolbar. Click on the Preferences icon and select Toolbars & menus.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #372
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JSWolf: the plugin failing to load because of a compatibility issue is *much more likely* to be the culprit than the icon suddenly deciding to go on vacation .
Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #373
MonicaOP
Connoisseur
MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Oasis
Hi, well, my calibre told me today there was an update for the collections plugin, and I update it, but now is not there at all!!

Do you know what happened? Thank you, be well
MonicaOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #374
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@MonicaOP:

Quote:
@madame_newbie: What @ArcensLay said, and I'll add a request for the log from the startup of a *debug* Calibre session if your answer includes running Calibre >= 3.42.0.

(c.f., the tail end of https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ing-on-windows for instructions on how to run Calibre in debug mode).
Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #375
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released 1.7.26!

It was indeed a stupid compat issue in 1.7.25 .

(There was a stray dependency on future for something six handles just as well).

Tags
collections plug-in, kindle